Has development stopped?

Nobody really knows for sure, which is the main issue.

General assumption is that devs are all busy on baldurs gate and hopefully we will get an update once the next development milestone is hit.

Pure guesswork though, they could have just forgotten their passwords

13 Likes

James & the team used to be so good about communicating with the community. If it is the focus of working on BG3 then its too bad they have not just come out and just let us all know.

@james, hoping you all can drop us a note to say you’re still alive and just feeling the strain of a heavy workload. Hope you are well!

Thanks

10 Likes

9 Likes

Nope you are not missing anything. There was a hotfix a few months ago for the Ps4 players but other than that. Its been dead.

4 Likes

This is my sentiment exactly. It’s just plain weird that they don’t communicate like they used to. It bothers me a lot. It was one of my favorite things about their team before…

8 Likes

This is basically the Only thing they have provides To us…

Edit. This is changed tough… As it feels like its more supporting Bg3 than boundless… As its stated here… Both parties assist another
… But weirdly its been A Bit one sided thing

4 Likes

Agreed, I remember this post and I figured we would see a slow down in November 2020 but seems like a halt other than critical patching. Really bums me out too as @PendragonTheNinja said.
Feels like they got their foot in on a large project outside of (Oort) Boundless and now they are full tilt into that reliving the days of working with EA I guess. :frowning:

6 Likes

Some people have speculated that they have been banned by their BG3 heads from working on Boundless or communicating about the development of BG3 until it’s out. Some kind of crunch that keeps them from being able to do anything with Boundless currently.

I probably didn’t explain that well, but I honestly hope this is it and they aren’t willingly doing this.

7 Likes

Since it’s all guesses, I don’t think it’s important to explain it well. We don’t know much, but we know this:

• The Turbulenz employees that were working on the BG3 contract were moved to Larian Guildford
  • James says this change “won’t affect anything Boundless”
  • They were having trouble dealing with getting worlds to be downloadable
  • We haven’t been told anything new since they said they are having that trouble
  • We get reasonable response time on billing related support questions, but the community has to handle most technical questions
  • James doesn’t appear to post during UK business hours

Any conclusions from this set of facts and observations are speculation.

16 Likes

7 Likes

To spit on such a beautiful game. Mediocrity.

3 Likes

In my opinion, it’s irresponsible to judge someone’s character like this when you a) don’t actually know what’s going on and b) don’t have any insight into the motivation behind it.

1 Like

While we don’t know 100% for sure, it is VERY likely that development is at least on a hiatus. The communication is just about non-existent from @james and company. Having worked in the game dev industry myself and being a lifetime software architect and consultant afterwards, I feel confident in saying that Boundless is in maintenance mode until BG3 comes out of EA (and possibly not even then) which Larian has already stated isn’t going to happen until mid-late 2022 at the earliest.

5 Likes

You make so many assumptions about what is going on. You assume you know who owns Boundless, you assume you know who is touching Boundless code, you assume you know what people will be able to do after BG3 releases. That is way too many assumptions to be “very” sure of anything.

1 Like

See, I look at it the other way: the evidence is all there but the assumptions are all on your side. You’re assuming that Boundless is even remotely financially viable for them based on sketchy financials and old numbers from when the game was actually popular. You assume that a small studio, which was wholly acquired by a significantly larger studio, and whom is now tasked with supporting said larger studio’s biggest game release of all time, isn’t completely focused on it for the foreseeable future. You assume that James hasn’t made the VERY REASONABLE and quite no-brainer decision that effort towards BG3 is significantly more lucrative than the petty $$$ he was bringing in on Boundless.

See, here’s the thing. I went through this EXACT EXERCISE when I worked for a small game studio called Valhalla Games. We were a 12 person team working on our own AI-focused war game when EA (yes, Electronic Arts) reached out to us to take a bunch of grunt work off their plate such as getting rid of texture seams, 3d modeling world objects, bump mapping stuff they’d already modeled, etc. Our CEO made the very reasonable decision that we were making a ■■■■ ton more money to just support them and all development was stopped on our game. We never picked that dev back up and, today, the studio is no longer a thing as all the resources from that studio either left for other studios or left the game industry altogether.

Look, I genuinely hope that I’m wrong. I really, really do. I WANT Boundless to be the next Minecraft. I actually think it has the base to be as much. But all the evidence is right there in front of your face and you’re just talking into the wind.

15 Likes

I have not made any of those assumptions, you have made the assumption that I have.

It’s great that you assume Turbulenz has taken the same path as your previous employer, but I’m choosing not to assume I know what’s going on. I could share my guesses, but I don’t have enough evidence to say I am “VERY” sure of anything.

You can lead a horse to water. You can even shove their face in the trough.

3 Likes

You think you’re leading me somewhere? My guesses average more grim than yours, but okay.

For example, it’s a huge assumption that BG3 releasing will bring any change, and every time I read that I cringe.

I hope that updates will come, I guess that there is a slow but steady amount of progress being made of something, but I assume that nothing outside of more Boundless revenue could increase Boundless development velocity.

1 Like

They’re working on it- they’ll keep working on it until they’re done. probably not before then.

3 Likes

5 Likes