Have grand connection issues (no matter which world)

Heyho

I have connection issues since a long time now and slowly see a pattern in their coming and going. I allready checked if reducing chunk download rate or reducing view distance, but both didn’t work. The same with chunk cache size. I also disabled my firewall and antivir to check, but no sign of better behavior.

The pattern is the following: If I move (most times when going through portals, but also when moving arround the planets, sometimes even when go for 1-2 chunks) I get a drastical ping (most times unplayable status) which stays for a while (I come to the sanctum often). In that time the world rebuilds sometimes, like it’s losing all the chunk data and relaods it. Not every time, but often, especially if I’m unplayable so long that I go to the sanctum …

Here some screenies of the debug while having the issues:

I know we tanked about the problems I have a while ago, but honestly I cant find the thread and also the issue feels different then back that time

I’m guessing you’ve checked your actual Internet connection, when I first started I had terrible problems with lag and rubberbanding particularly near portals. I ended up upgrading my connection from standard broadband to fiber, I still haven’t got the fastest connection but it’s pretty stable with no packet loss which I think is quite important for this game to run smoothly. I use Sourcforge Internet speed test (HTML5) which shows the ping, download speed, upload speed and packet loss. I was with Virgin fiber before and although they claimed 50-100mb download speeds etc their packet loss was absolutely shocking which for online gaming was pretty useless.

1 Like

hmm, the sourceforge tester doesn’t work for me (it only gets download checked, but not upload and no loss. Tried others, but there were no info on losses. when less players are on the lags are rarer then when I go online in the eve/night (UK time + 1h). I now have a software to check hosts directly, but I don’t know which IP to check for Boundless ^^

I don’t know if there’s any useful information in this post.

connection

the last test ran through with the same values over the time, even when I had big lags (unplayable 500+ for several seconds) ingame :confused:

here the connections to the server regions each (at the morning my time)

here a log of the traffic route to the usE servers when I had some connection issues. One server had a quite bad loss rate: ash-bb3-link.telia.net - 9% loss

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |

Host - % Sent Recv Best Avrg Wrst Last
speedport.ip - 0 492 492 0 0 5 0
62.155.243.23 - 0 492 492 4 6 76 4
hh-ea8-i.HH.DE.NET.DTAG.DE - 0 492 492 6 8 16 7
hh-ea8-i.HH.DE.NET.DTAG.DE - 0 492 492 6 8 16 7
80.150.168.162 - 0 492 492 12 13 32 12
hbg-bb1-link.telia.net - 0 492 492 99 109 192 128
ldn-bb3-link.telia.net - 0 492 492 96 98 132 96
ash-bb3-link.telia.net - 9 369 338 99 100 120 100
ash-b1-link.telia.net - 0 492 492 95 95 100 95
vadata-ic-157234-ash-bb1.c.telia.net - 0 492 492 104 104 128 104
54.239.109.24 - 0 492 492 97 114 190 108
54.239.110.158 - 0 492 492 96 97 108 97
54.239.110.147 - 0 492 492 99 103 190 105
52.93.25.122 - 0 492 492 104 106 122 106
52.93.27.213 - 0 492 492 105 120 155 116
52.93.24.27 - 0 492 492 105 106 118 108
No response from host - 100 98 0 0 0 0 0
ec2-52-55-25-58.compute-1.amazonaws.com - 0 492 492 104 105 113 105
________________________________________________ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______

WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

On the F1 menu there is a Latency Graph that should you your connection speed in game. Can you get a screen shot of that when the issue occurs?

Also have a look in the %LOCALAPPDATA%\Turbulenz\Boundless\log.txt to see if there any message about the UDP connection. Its possible the UDP port is blocked so it falls back to TCP. Even so that should generally be ok after the initial stutter entering a world.

When you go to a new world or a portal open it does stress the PC more, since its using more cores to create the terrain. So check Task Manager to see if your PC is stressed (eg 100% cpu use).

1 Like

Ok, will check that later when able to. Hope to find a solution cuz stuttering is ok, but going two times to the sanctum (30 secs full lag) on a 100 block walk near a portal isn’t.

Is it normal for the world to load itself several time on such a lag? I mean I see it reloaded more then once on such a lag (disappearing and them growing fast from me away again two or three times in a row per long lag).

But yes, I’ll check later.

I have this problem on every Australian server at the moment. I can play fine with pretty stable pings on every other server, and have been. But, once I hit any Australian servers, my pings will range between 150 to 700ms or more, and fluctuates very quickly; resulting in alot of rubber banding.
Now, I play the game from Singapore, which Aussie servers used to give me THE BEST pings (sub 100 pings) when I first started playing Boundless around Apr’17-May’17 time frame. Every other server will periodically give me a burst of lag, and becomes unplayable with alot of rubber banding around peak access times. Now, its the reverse.

here are some situations, all away from portals (and settlements) and on Lamblis (and I’m in EU (Germany))

The CPU and GPU were only fpr a second or two at high demand on each points and when the world reloaded (it id on the longer ones on the screenies here)

here some Taskmanager screens in the same order

logfile is here (and yes, UDP is mentioned a lot … how to open the port? My Firewall has the rule to open it to TCP/UDP, so it shouldf work :confused: ) …

PS: Here a longer disconnect (allmost threw me to sanctum) after going to Biitula (USE fron EU) … The wolrd loaded two or thre times after going through the portal … And still the question: is it normal that the engine reloads the world you are on suddenly when running arround? (Like I said: That happens also when not near portals :confused: )

Well it does show that your seeing very high latency, eg 800ms at times. I don’t see anything obvious that would be the reason in the logs. Looking at the graphs it looks a bit like somewhere your connection is either hitting a bottleneck or your getting some erratic packet loss patterns.

If your on wifi try a wired connection. Check for any driver updates for your network card. If you have another router or could borrow another one to test with that might narrow down if its an internal issue.

It does not look like stress on you system, it really should be fine with those specs. You could try setting the max FPS to 30 fps to double check.

I tried now updating my drivers (which didn’t help), reduched the frames to max 30 (which also didn’t helped) and had a closer look on my cpu and network values, playing windowed to have an eye on the meters. At that point I realised that the DNS-client of Windows where going nuts nearly every time I had a connection issue of the kind I experience them (gained 10-30% network demand and also up tp 50% cpu usage). I asked a friend (@Shanduro) who is more into tech then me nowadays and he had the idea to clear the DNS cache, which I’ve done now. I had no probs since then, but I only played for a short while and my issues happend to occure unregular over the day. Hope it stays well now, but to be sure I have to play for a longer time again (which will be in some days). So stay tuned: I report if this was the issue or not, and if you have some other ideas allready, feel free to let me hear them :wink:

Edit: Corrected the name of the cache ^^

1 Like

Interesting to hear if it does fix it long term. I presume its the DNS cache (in English) for any one checking in the future,

2 Likes

so no bigger lags then a second or two after flushing the DNS cache … played for 3h now and also ran often past or through portals and portal hubs. If it changes I let you know here, but for now the cache seems to be a thing :wink:

1 Like