Heartbeat is a little annoyin'

I am like 99% certain that that in previous builds your character made ‘exhausted’ noises when the yellow bar was low (sounded like ‘oof’, ‘hurrrgh’, etc.) Don’t know why it changed to the heartbeat, maybe it’s a bug?

A loud heartbeat is used in horror movies and such, as well as games, to designate fear, and impending danger, which is a biological response far more associated with heartbeats than exercise as mentioned above.

It’s wildly inconsistent because we are all conditioned from a young age to mentally connect a sudden increase in adrenaline and heartbeats to fear.

To say such things are incorrectly learned would also be incorrect. Boundless shouldn’t try’n reinvent the wheel, it should make the game easier to understand, and consistent. The game’s not going to be a trendsetter and somehow change the way the world thinks about heartbeats, it should do more to conform to already existing game functions.

What this current system risks doing is now, if I’m ever low on HP, I’m going to think, “Oh it’s just my stamina” and that’s way worse than the previous setup.

edit That, and it’s just annoyin’.

Speaking of inconsistent, having to explain to every new player what a Tier 1,2,3,4,5 world is has become so confusing even I’m now confused. Planets need to say “Besevrona, Tier 5” or something.

2 Likes

I agree. Being different for the sake of being different is just bad design.

I really like the heartbeat at low stamina. It is far to loud right now though.

Pretty sure that sound was and still is for low hunger.

1 Like

What I don’t get is, if this isn’t a bug, why can’t they just give us the choice? I know it takes more programmin’, but if we could toggle it on and off, like lensflare which still hasn’t been fixed and is incredibly painful to look at, that would be great.

Sometimes I get the feeling some people on this forum hate the idea of givin’ people options, that the mere thought of their game experience being different from someone else’s somehow makes them unable to have fun anymore.

The choice option would be the best.
If we could choose the sound and the threshold went it plays for both HP and Stamina and Max-Stamina would be perfect in my opinion.

2 Likes

In b4 “it’s all in ur head just learn to deal with it cuz it doesn’t bother me lul”

bonk bonk bonk bonk bonk bonk :ear:

I am rather annoyed with it to be honest. I get that you want a warning sounds when the bar is getting low but tools wear out and break they don’t die…they don’t have a heart.

Please please please consider changing this :pray:

1 Like

There is already a “hungry” sound I believe (when max stam falls to low, and you get the “starving” debuff), so having having a secondary sound when you are low on usable stamina (yellow) with a full max stam (light grey) is a bit over the top. I get that that sentence may have been super confusing, but that is the only way I could think of putting it.

I really hate the heard beat sound that happens when stamina gets low. It bothers me because it is normally a sound you hear when you are hurt in a game. Also it is annoying and just makes getting low stamina that much worse. The game already feels grindy and that is not helping the over all feel of it. I use to find mining relaxing but that sound is ruining that. I am not sure why that was added. I knew just fine when I was out of stamina, I didn’t need an annoying warning.

2 Likes

If that heartbeat sound is to stay, I’d suggest make it play once when it hits the low stamina treshold and if you try to initiate a now action while below the treshold, holding mouse button down wouldn’t trigger it multiple times.

The problem is the heartbeat sound should occur when my health drops to like 30%, with how much damage monsters in this game cause, I typically never get a warnin’ in time, I’m low hp, no warnin’ then dead.

Not sure why it’s there for stamina.

2 Likes

Yeah godforbod the be only when you are about to starve so hurry eat food before you get the starve debuff.

Isn’t this a bit of a contraversial:

To this:

This whole heartbeat on low stamina has got to be a new thing with 198. I don’t recall hearing it before. There was a sound effect on low health and one for when you start to starve, but to hear this heartbeat over and over again while mining just plain sucks - I mean its basically a constant when you’re on a multi-hour mining fest so it’s not actually helping warn me of anything other than the fact that my hammer is going to stop swinging in a second.

At least give me an option to disable “low stamina warning.”

2 Likes

How?

When stamina gets low, why should I get a warning that to most people indicates near death?

Shouldn’t that warning be reserved for Low HP warnings? My point was the Low HP warning doesn’t occur fast enough.

1 Like

At this point I’d rather them let us turn of bright flashing lights first. It’s really bad for your eyes to mine for for hours and CONSTANTLY have a really bright, fast flash of light every time hammer strikes rock, or just walking outside and enjoying view.

But yeah, options are best, that way people can decide what they want.

3 Likes

In the first quote your saying it would be confusing if they change it to be low health feedback and in the second quote your saying it should be low health feedbcak instead.

Maybe miscommunication?

I am finding the heart beat very annoying while mining it is constantly going off. . about to turn off sound but afraid I will not hear a spitter until it is too late.

1 Like