Help for using Eng.json

hey there with another player me try to translate eng.Json toghether to make a localisation patch and we found some great ressources to do that , like zanata.org but i dont know how to configure this clearly to exploit Json ressources …

could you please help ?

looks like a cool website ^^

anyway im not exactly sure what problem you are having… im guessing that Zanata cannot edit the Json file directly? if that is the case you could save / copy&past to a text file to edit and then copy&past it back

is there already a project on zanata for Boundless? im not bilingual but maybe i could help get things setup :thinking:

1 Like

wow!

i may be seeing your issue… been trying to set up an account / do anything with Zanata… keep running into dead links and overly complicated setup stuff lol

1 Like

Did a quick research, since it’s just a json file, you can use some online collaboration text editing tool like http://collabedit.com/
I have tested it and you don’t have to be logged in or anything, just share url with other people that want to collaborate.
If you want to track who added what, than this one is not an option. Let me know if you need that feature to find something else.

I think we’ve found something … ty for aswering
but maybe if dev come around here … we’ve found a really goof translation template
: https://poeditor.com :slight_smile:
and we are pretty shure it will make what we want ^^

2 Likes

That looks great, only that it’s limited to 1000 strings in free version and english.json is more like 5000 strings.

1 Like

yep but we saw a falcepalm thing :slight_smile: @james could answer … many things in this.json are “redondant” then it must exist a file whith sentences used 1time only… like if you look : “Common Natural Block” occurs 38 times in the files …; but only need 1 translation…
so hope that devs have something like that for Us :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The number of strings will only increase as we add more content to the game.

Whilst there will be some duplication to strings, they are likely placeholders until more specific text is written.

Btw - the JSON files are extremely basic, and it would be trivial to convert them between JSON and CSV (or another text format).

2 Likes

Hi @james

I will act as Dryde translator on this one. He mainly want to know if you have a file beside the .JSON where are gathered all your strings but in witch they appear only once?

Thanks

1 Like

Thanks for your quick answer James.
We are going to parse the json directly into excel. From there any kind of data sorting is possible.

We have a way to revert it to json too. :smiley:

1 Like

We do have the strings in another format but that also contains the duplicate values.

2 Likes

A question for anyone. Strings such as “interact”, for example. Would they be considered an imperative?

1 Like

@james i’m quite bad at coding , so maybe you could answer me … how can I parse the json… i only want to make a list of “unique” strings and only keep one occurence of strings whitch are present more than one time… sry for asking that here… google doesnt help me ^^

That isn’t necessarigly a good idea though. Just because in “english” we have a string duplicated, the “usage” of the string may be different, and in another language, may want to be translated differently.

Eg: lets say there are two strings, both “Block”. … but one is a “block” in the world, and one is an instruction to “block” someone. They would not translate to the same thing in another language.

This is also the reason why you cannot just use a spreadsheet for a good translation, you have to actually play through the entire game seeing how every one of those strings is used to have the correct context you need for a proper translation. Not all games do it like that of course, which sometimes leads to very comical or just plain terrible translations sometimes.

2 Likes

@lucadeltodecso I undestand what you say but i think you missunderstand what i wanna do…in the .json there are several “complete sentece” who could have only one meaning used many time so if we can make a sorting i would reduce the number of different line we have to translate

let take a concrete exemple:
“Common Compacted Block” occurs 3 times
“Common Natural Block” occurs 38 times
“Uncommon Crafted Block” 39 times
so a total of 80 strings

but only 3 revelant traduction :
bloc compacté commun
bloc naturel Commun
Bloc frabriqué peu commun

no need to hand transcrip 80 lines ^^

1 Like

i thing i found something great call REGEX in notepad ++

Converting this file from a JSON document into a CSV or TXT file is simple in many languages. I can provide a couple of little scripts for this once we know exactly what we want.

But translating the English into another language is only part of the challenge.

The main work flow challenge will be tracking changes to the original English version as we continue developing the game. Strings will be added, removed and altered. All these changes would need to be tracked via an online application or alternatively within source control.

If someone in the community understands Git and Github we could host a repository that contains all the community made localisations.

Any volunteers?

Additionally: Are there any games that already accept community created translations? If so, is there a good model we can adopt or learn from?

2 Likes

I’m web developer, so I could jump in with any help about git, github, even hosting and developing simple app that would allow collaboration or something :slight_smile: But as you said first we need to have clear requirements. I’m not familiar with using json as translation format, mostly used pot format until now.

1 Like

for an exemple of games who let the community do the translation there was “skysaga” that have done this:https://crowdin.com/project/skysaga and we wanna do quite the same with @Trizer but that have a cost ! so we found https://poeditor.com/ who have a full free version under 1000 strings and it’s why we need to reduce strings i project :slight_smile: but whith such a solution we could offer a translation to any language for every community member who would try to help :slight_smile: