HELP! Give us your opinion on the balance of beacon compactness?

I’ve always had the PPS off at the mall and the mall walkways/roads rec’d a bad compactness rating - even with everyone’s builds next to it.

Ironically, I believe I had the PPS on at my base elsewhere, and all of those roads/bridges rec’d a great compactness rating. Not sure if PPS is part of the formula or not :woman_shrugging:

The compactness rating only tells you what that ratio with that algorithm would classify as uncompact, the reservations have to be turned on for it to have any meaning with regard to reservation abuse. It’s not a “good!/baaad…” ratio in and of itself. Looser spaghetti cities are awesome because they can grow more organically and in theory would have more places to tuck in and build oneself into being part of the city. The journal objectives have a reward for finding a city (and another for the capital city iirc) and building yourself into it, which can’t happen until you find a city on a planet somewhere that lets you settle in it. It took me months to realise it was okay to build in a city that had open spaces, that that was what that objective had actually meant (I asked to move in to my first city then built in the countryside after that for a long time – except malls, because they had signs inviting one to open a shop, and so on and so forth – I’m sure I’m not the only person to have made their home beacon in a mall – they’re cities).

Unless people want to get all Lord of the Flies and start abusing each other socially over whether their stuff glows on the test map at whatever ratio etc etc etc… then compactness might mean something to the poor people caught up in that…

See also Kieslowski’s film Blue regarding “liberty” and maybe that’s also part of the meaning of “Boundless”.

While this is true under the assumption that this is intend to only resolve reservation area abuse, I was under the impression this solution was also decided upon to combat general beacon abuse (which was always present, and just exacerbated when the reservation system was introduced).

If we were to deactivate this when reservations are turned off you could still plot snakes and 1 column rows with a couple of plots in between and be fairly sure that you’re claiming significantly more land that the plots it’s costing in order to cordon off land that nobody else (apart from maybe trolls, or the truly uninitiated) is going to plot on.

1 Like

It is kind of a multi-step process to do and not just add new file. So it takes some work from him to implement. I know he is planning on update them just hadn’t gotten to it.

Thanks a lot, may i know where u get such info?
And is this info given to you by James or any other dev?
Just wondering why you reply on their behalf. :thinking:

I will put up some new maps.

The current process requires us to download snapshots of all the worlds (100GB+) and generate the maps locally. I’ll try and get some online next week.

22 Likes

Thanks James.
Curious to see how impactful were the changes I made recently.

@james thank you kindly

1 Like

Gracias Senor @james

1 Like

maybe you can make a automatic version off it, that would be great

1 Like

can we please get updated maps for the ones who adjusted plots and see what it would look like now?
ooop never mind didnt see u comment for about nextweek …thankyou

1 Like

I sometimes have the opportunity every so often to talk directly with a Dev. I happened to speak with James this morning and brought this topic up because I had seen it asked a few times. He explained the process so I figured I would respond when I saw your comment.

I wasn’t speaking for them just because I gave some information that I was aware of. I am pretty careful when I say specifics or things like that and if I ever reference a Dev or stuff like that it is because I do have specific information given directly to me.

5 Likes

Fair enough thanks for the explanation

1 Like

@james dont forget us :wink:

in my country a week is max 7 days…cough :stuck_out_tongue:

time is running out the end of the weekend is near!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Maps have been updated with data from Live 2020-03-25.

14 Likes

I found my beacon on beckon! It’s Zebra Town! @james? can you add a function to the map that when you hover your cursor over a settlement, it tells the settlement name, number of plots, and prestige?

Excellent! I have to up the thresholds by a heck of a lot before they become uncompact on Nova Golda!

There is one beacon that is not compact but it’s a road so I expected as much, am waiting to remove it for the reclaim function, saves oodles of time :slight_smile:

I do hope this is going to be a short Testing run tho! Can’t wait for the new release and kinda hoping there are a few surprises here and there…

3 Likes

Wow, looking at those maps I can see the “reservation” problem pretty clearly. I guess since it wasn’t happening near me, i didn’t know. But if I was someone’s neighbor, and they started claim/reserving 1/8th of the planet…

It’s a tough job you devs have keeping an eye on us kids @james , making sure we use our toys without hurting our baby bros and sis’s! =P. Thx dads and moms!

3 Likes