HELP! Give us your opinion on transferring and selling beacons!

as long as I leave a one plot road I am fine. . those are the rules.

Rules that are examined on a case-by-case basis. I think a case could be made that claiming every block surrounding a portal hub except for one plot is harassment.

5 Likes

We will have to disagree, I am not preventing them from expanding they have a path to expand. I am claiming now valuable property that I can sell. It is like claiming any resource which is specifically mentioned on the website as being ok. Even if you are right, then all it takes is another player to grab a few plots. But to the points raised this is going to create more conflict among players. If everyone is good with that, then they should vote that way. Anyone that says this will not create conflict has not read the forums.

5 Likes

Selling beaconed plots would be great addition to game and would bring new kind of possibilities to game. If this is added to game it would be great to have add same time suggested rent options, where owner can sell some rights for certain time frame to other players (and ability to rent just certain plot on whole beacon other words allow renting apartments from skyscraper).
As long as plots are still needed to unlock plots with cubits selling beaconed plots would be awesome thing for builders.
Cases of ninja plotting for fast coins when seeing someone else is just plotting area for own building would most likely increase.

1 Like

Here’s how the current mechanic works.
Player A has claimed plots. Player B comes along and wants to purchase the plots. Player A and B would hand trade coin and then B has to wait for A to unplot everything. B has to beacon and quickly plot everything to regain protection.

With the new mechanic, regardless of if a sale or a transfers for no coin, it’d make the transfer instantaneous with the plots not losing protection and being vulnerable to someone coming along and snatching a plot as the manual transfer was taking place.

The scenario you describe of the portal hub could already happen with or without the beacon transfer mechanic being in game. This wouldn’t create any new possibilities that i’m aware of.

6 Likes

James explicitly stated that extortion is against the CoC:

Also the Code of Conduct itself has a point mentioned by Steggs:

It seems a game specific definition of what griefing or stopping expansion actually is but if you feel your expansion is being hindered, the simple solution is to simply a.) talk to the other player and, should that fail, b.) talk to Steggs.

And as @DonBab just mentioned, this isn’t changing any big mechanics, just makes selling of beacons easier.

2 Likes

just push it into overdrive.
potentially…

@james, you don’t know how excited it makes me to think on a system where I’m able to build houses and sell them to people.

Some people don’t like building, but want a nice house. Players like me love building, but I don’t make money from it (I actually turn out in the severe negatives in both coin and time, but that’s not why I do it)

It’s something I absolutely want in the game, so I can go on building for a living both in-game and out.

16 Likes

Land speculation is already a thing. With this system it’s going to become more prolific… Which in my opinion is going to be quite annoying. I feel like there needs to be some sort of risk / cost for plotting close to other people to discourage excessive plotting. Maybe a coin tax for each plot that increases the closer you are to other people and gradually tapers off as you get further away from other beacons.

17 Likes

I would love this ! I hope this gets implemented asap

1 Like

I think land speculation is in direct contrast to the CoC … the way I see it, you can’t really have both. On one hand, you’re encouraging people to grab land near others with the sole purpose of speculating that land is going to be worth something - most likely to the person that is already building there. On the other hand, you’re saying you can’t grab that land as it would prevent that player from expanding :man_shrugging:

I think it needs to be taken into consideration that as you can purchase plots for real money, it would be considered by many to be pay2win, as you don’t need to do anything specifically to earn from those plots (such as building on them for prestige).

Personally I would only want to see a transfer of a beacon and it’s collective plots if the purchasing player has enough plots to essentially swap with the seller. The buyer gets the claimed land and the seller gets plots from the buyer so everything balances out - whether that also involves a transfer of coin, I’d leave up to the seller - but i wouldn’t tie it in with the transfer.

That all said - to cut down on the cases of land speculation and extortion, maybe only allow the sale of a beacon / transfer of ownership, if the prestige level (per plot for sale) is at a certain to be determined level?

That way you don’t just get people plotting great swathes of land in the hope that someone wants them.

12 Likes

I have wanted to be able to transfer beacons to friends for a while but I don’t like the idea of it being done for coin in a way that would cause others to go around grabbing up every good plot they could find to sell. I think that would make it really hard for new people coming into the game to find places to set up.

3 Likes

Definitely agree with this. It won’t halt it, but it would certainly be needed to at least staunch the potential for p2w complaints.

1 Like

This will be a good way for people that can afford plots to be allowed to support the games longevity, since others feel the game didn’t make alot

Is this because you think people would claim the entirety of Tier 1 + 2 worlds? I think @nevir did some math showing that this would cost upwards of 60,000 USD. If someone wants to spend the money to do that, I’d say let them and then instead of buying their plots we can just have the devs use the money to get another server for a new T1 or T2 world.

Like a land tax? Also needs to penalty for non development under a certain amount prestige, perhaps no footfall unless unless minimum amount of prestige or a bonus rate applied to footfall after certain prestige levels. Also changing tax rates and footfall based on land zoning which could be dictated by what’s on the plot… dang this could get complicated but fun! … could also have real estate epic skills! Lol sorry getting way to carried away!

2 Likes

The funny thing is people have no real understanding of how large the planet is it’s in the hundreds of millions of 8x8 plots per world the thread stated one line of 8x8 plots around the planet is around 576 plots, that’s just one line wrapped

I see land tax mentioned twice or so now. This would be a fantastic idea and a great money sink that many of us have been complaining is sorely needed to keep the economy inflation in check.

I would greatly support a land tax system being applied. Have the tax scale based on horizontal plots. Not against vertical plots.

This is a great idea if it can be implemented.

Not that one person would but that it would be something so many were doing that yes a group would end up taking up the whole planet. Not even saying them working together to do but just as a bunch of people grabbing up the good places. Also it would encourage those that grab stuff right next to where people are building. Which I just see leading to even more headaches. We already see it a little bit happening in the forums. I think that would just get worse. Also the fact that you can pay to get plots. So you would be able to pay for something that you can turn straight into coin in game. You might as well let people buy coin.

1 Like

This sounds really interesting! I’d love to be able to easily transfer beacons between my alts, so maybe that could be incorporated somehow.

I’m in favour more for the idea of developing plots and selling the result, rather than just dealing in more attractive locations…which obviously has a lot more potential for griefing and conflict. What I’d most like to see would be a system linked to length of time owned as well as prestige: give a long timer before being able to sell a newly acquired beacon, which is reduced by adding prestige (and increased again by removing prestige). You could also set a ceiling price per plot based on beacon prestige, to discourage people buying land for the sole purpose of profit without development.