High Speed (block) Farming

So today I decided to make a little video of some block farming.

There’s been a lot of interesting discussions lately regarding various assists and things people do in game. I thought it would be helpful for the conversation, as well as for many players, to do a little demo. I won’t type out much more of what I actually say in the video.

I don’t have a desk mic and I wanted to narrate this so, it’s a headset mic buried in my beard - the sound is not the best. :stuck_out_tongue:

I started on the beach and used a wild gleam ‘dot’ for this. From scratch farming starts at 7:00 exactly. by 14:00 I’ve pulled almost 22,000 gleam and over 100k XP with no teaching food. Here we go:

I found an older video, apparently I posted a related clip once before, in a top-down farm. Later I learned to drop the bomb on the way down, and that process got a lot faster, too.

This is a roughly one minute clip of that:

Been a while since I was in a silk yellow gleam ‘sphere’ :rofl:

EDIT: Now that it’s processed I’m re-watching this.

I mention 10 blocks deep and 99 blocks, obviously if you’re tucked up tight, that means 11 blocks deep.

3 Likes

I’m legitimately surprised that there’s not one single positive or negative reaction to this after nearly a hundred views.

YouTube says 14 have watched the video, too.

:man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Honestly people probably just tired of talking about all the stuff. Either that or everyone yeeted them self of the planet.

Always found the super speed hammer gleam farming to be very relaxing myself.

2 Likes

Fair enough :rofl: There have been questions, though. Dead silence here is sometimes surprising.

Yeah for me it was trunk farming for a very long time. I didn’t even realize how many hundreds of thousands of coins I was selling to people by selling the excess trunk at a price well below what you could mint the doors for.

Also though, not only new players but a surprising number of people express confusion about some of the numbers people talk about. This video is actually a solid (if brief) tutorial for some block farming mechanics - I hope that at least a few people would find it useful.

In any case a little bump for the thing. I’m not a content creator or anything really but having put something out there, feedback is welcome. :blush:

1 Like

I wrote a few paragraphs here about the current context. I’m editing them out because over time I don’t want current drama to detract from the ongoing value of the information.

The edit history is available for those who want that. In this post, and the prior post.

1 Like

OK so today I made a quick trip to The Future of Farms. I’ve posted about the orb farms here before, a thorough breakdown with some numbers.

In the course of a 19 minute video, I did a bit of messing around, taking a look at the setup, then farmed a little over 13,000 coins and two stacks of shimmering/pulsating orbs. The pulsating orb farm has been upgraded since I was last there, I was able to walk in and immediately start farming upwards, which was awesome.

So in addition to the numbers published above regarding turnover and cost/earnings - here’s a video of what it looks like to farm this stuff. I forgot and used Boundless’ default resolution. At this time the vid is SD and I’m not sure if Youtube will upscale to HD due to the resolution (not enough pixels there).

Thanks again to @HOST for an excellent set of farms, fully open to the public!

EDIT: The video is 19 minutes, the fast brew is 15. The numbers here reflect 13,000 coins and almost 1800 orbs in those 15 minutes, including some time spent minting and moving between farms.

Your tool costs may vary but you are easily able to sustain (after selling orbs) between 1000 and 2000 coins per minute spent in the farm. Maybe more depending on the orb market…

Right now I have plenty of orbs:

6020c with coils

3 Likes

As a hoarder of all things gathered that hurts my soul to see that.

3 Likes

The blocks, or the orbs?

1 Like

Orbs I can never have enough

2 Likes

well im masking similiar platform at every sov where are gleam i like and where you can plot, st gleam platforms im usually grsppling at top and hitting my way down :slight_smile: farming gleam is very relaxing and for me is the fastest way to farm cubits :smiley: also love the orb farms :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Nightstar lovely video as always and thanks for the future of farms mention!
there are more farms to be added and all farms will have a 3way farming

horizontally top, and bottom farming

at time 3.40 (ish) your hammers look different than mine :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

:rofl: Oh yeah, those flat hammers you know.

Also, it was pretty silly/lazy to mint them :smirk:

Hey that’s honestly the reason I did the video that way, I’m glad you liked it. If you see a farm all perfectly set up in something like that it seems like maybe you have to build a farm first.

Really all you have to do is get in the right spot, and make sure you don’t regen the floor from beneath you. ALL gleam “circles” are gleam farms :crazy_face:

1 Like

Have not watched the video, but I know the techniques of vertical farming so I don’t really know for what I shall spend my time watching something that I should know already. If there’s no new information to it then I don’t know :woman_shrugging:

I have nothing positive or negative to say about this, I gave my opinion already I think in the other post and also on our discord. No matter if manually farmed or per script/bot or some other variations, it would be hard to catch people doing something quirky as those types of farming are already very automatic and require for the most just two buttons/keys.

2 Likes

I can tell you there’s nothing new here for you. Nor regarding team farming, or probably much else - as you play closely with one of the hardest grinding players in the game. :star_struck:

Also I’m not trying to continue that discussion here. I removed some text earlier in the thread due to this coloring the conversation in such a negative light. Still, each time that conversation comes up, comments here and in other channels show there are players that are not aware of these techniques. Many are new, some definitely not.

I’ve shared what I know about various farming techniques in a very few videos over the years, but mostly just participating in discussions, here or, primarily discord. It’s been a while and I have evolved as well. So while the fact that this is current drama does color the conversation - that will go away.

The desire to farm large numbers of blocks for crafting or a growing build will not.

The last time I posted a video about this was 2020 and it was part of an off-the forum conversation as well. Sometime between that and Serpensarindustries days (mid 2019) I had nailed down the understanding of the bomb mechanics allowing me to produce numbers somewhat competitive with team farmers.

Still, that video is nothing but a brief clip of me using a similar technique on an exo with (at the time) very desirable gleam. Sadly that was also part of a similar conversation - someone who had been in the game longer than me directly accusing me of “running a bot” when I mentioned how much gleam I had harvested while the planet was live.

That video also has achieved a massive 3 views in two years. It’s a a two-minute clip and it doesn’t include any explanation or introduction, and I don’t think I even bothered to link it here. The view count shows that other than the initial, private conversation it’s been irrelevant.

I AM NOT soliciting for comments on another argument here. As anyone who has bothered to make such videos or guides could tell you, Pajew’s comment above is the payoff for me. Even one person, and especially one who has been around for a while, saying “Oh thanks, you just changed the game in a positive way for me”. I’ve also demonstrated this directly to a couple of players in game this week, each time with a similar reaction. I’m paraphrasing but basically “Oh thanks, I didn’t realize you could do that”.

When it’s made clear that the information on legitimate techniques isn’t circulating then despite the reason that it’s come into active conversation again, I want to help spread that information. As for the rest of it - the two things are intertwined, I don’t know how to separate them. I removed the body of my earlier post because I didn’t want to flood the thread with that but clearly it needs addressing.

Anyways @May-L04 not all of that text is directed at you as obviously you are already aware of both the techniques and the side issues. And also close with someone who works hard to provide tools and platforms for people to move ahead and step up their game.

NGL I have no problem turning a chunk of the thread into basically an advertisement for The Future of Farms either :rofl: Due to the facilities that @HOST and others provide even a very new player can pick up a proper tool and start being productive in game, whether that’s to stock a shop, grow their build, or just fill some baskets and get the coin they’re looking for.

My own farms are gone I have 11 plots currently placed on public worlds :thinking:

This is what I want people to know. There are no ‘dark secrets’ here and there’s no need to create macros or have your avatar running AFK to harvest a generous amount of blocks even with a modest amount of play time. You don’t even have to create elaborate farming set ups. People just need to be shown how the tools work.

2 Likes

Thanks bro, we’ll I also think most new players get pointed in the wrong direction of how to make coins “how to make fast coins” most answers what I come across is , farm gleam non stop, make gleam poles, refine rock, make doors, and all this day in and out, little do they know about some easy techniques of farming orbs with little work, most “new” but also old players still and I still see it happen clear the entire growth farm to the last growth…why? I showed a old friend of mine on how to farm shimmering orbs these days with a shovel and regen bomb, because he literally said to me…I don’t like this farm because it has water, I’m used to farm mold, I said welcome to 2022 haha and showed him how it’s done, now that it’s shown he has a different view of the farms. Like you said people need to be shown how to use tools, and just because you farm growth with a shovel doesn’t mean you cannot farm growth with a hammer…:smile:

2 Likes

:man_facepalming: :rofl:

2 Likes

i was there, a thousands years ago when the regen bombs appeared and the first regen farm were created :smiley: now, looking at all those farms im only not sure if small farms arent better? most players just standing at border, hitting and regening in same time :slight_smile: i remember there were even signs on floor where you can stand during farming to not het thrown up by bomb :smiley:

bigger farm sometimes looks better, those builds but, doing them smaller saves you plots :smiley:

i know its not topic for that but im curious if the size of farm really matters?

2 Likes

Minimally, you just need a place to stand where you can use your tool efficiently and you’re not inside the area where blocks will regenerate. This means that if you’re standing in the plotted area when the bomb goes off, you won’t get moved anywhere.

Sometimes that’s not feasible due to the size or shape of what you’re trying to farm. At that point if you’re making a shared farm it’s nice to indicate an optimal spot. Especially if you’re trying to farm something small, like a small gleam deposit, or one of the old dark glass farms.

Standing still inside of a gleam ball or a sponge ball or a giant tree, whatever - it’s fast but a lot of people wand to move around to get more blocks per bomb. I use soil farms like this and that’s why they’re often big. Any time you’re doing that you just need to make sure you’re not standing where a block is going to regenerate, and you will stay on the farm.

As with the gleam ball though, all it ever needs is one plot in the spot where you can hit the most blocks, and nothing will regenerate. Anything after that is extra.

1 Like

There are two kind of people farming, one is, time effectiveness with little effort but you invest more into it, that means standing on one spot throwing tons of bombs. The other one likes to run around in huge farms and appreciates that they save on bombs because they want to get most out of a tool, least spills, every hit shall be a 3x3 hit and so on. Some of those love even when you design a clear border for them like a railway so they can’t mess up and really are forced to get always the maximum. Those love the cage farming… whatever I say… reminds of :rooster:
Anyways :sweat_smile: depending on what type of farmer you are, even getting shown other types of farming, you most likely have your hair stand to end. Hehe. In a way funny. But people stay in their perspectives and don’t like changes. So if you can offer them different ways of farming, even its the same resource, you will most likely find more people to use your farms.
How often did @HOST get requests of changing/adding a different farming opportunity? That’s why the wood and sap farm at THE FUTURE OF FARMS has I believe 3? different ways to farm it. So in the end it got a big farm to suit everyone.

1 Like