Holidays and why they are happening

I´m really curious how you´ll react to my beaconed 512x512 Ron Swanson pixel art then :smile:

I think even IF the devs would measure things like maximal bossfight length, smelting duration etc in ingame days 99% of players would just throw those numbers into a calculator to get hours/minutes, so why bother with introducing new units of time measurement in first place?

I think if we get a Calender it will work similar (exactly) like the one in WoW, that is tied to real world days/hours altough there was a 4,5 hour day/night circle in the game.

1 Like

■■■■. that was actually a good argument.

thought i question you will be able to do it as easily as you can in minecraft, due to no creative mode, but while i loved doing that in minecraft (see below) i dont think it is fitting in oort. for me minecraft was always just a lego simulator and nothing more.

Birthdays of Players and Developers:
This could evolve in different happenings in the world … for example we have a birthday, a shooting star falls from the sky.
If there is plenty of people with birthdays on the same date, we have plenty of shooting stars. Is only a rough idea.

I´ve once built a 128x128 pixel art out of wool on a survival server with a few friends(and that was before you were able to breed sheep and before sheep did regrow their wool)

Well this just means that you wont build pixel art. I´m definitely going to use lots of beacons on Ron Swanson, Bender, etc :smile:

and that as an RP player is personally going to make me very very sad. but is that an argument really an argument for anything ‘‘we should use real life time only because i can build pixel art’’?

I think it’s quite useful as far as day/night cycles go, and by extension any future creature spawning rules that are dependent on those cycles or any possible puzzles (like a room in an Oort temple that can only be accessed in the “morning” of that world).

I just don’t think it’s feasible to expect players to live their lives in game or out, by the in-game time. Therefore, I would expect devs to design holidays or events, if they would even want to do such things, around Earth time. That’s basically all I’m saying. I know this is something you feel strongly about, but when giving devs suggestions we have to try to think about what the general populace will use and enjoy.

1 Like

Fair argument, then i will go back to my base stance and accept the use of real time ‘‘i dont think real life holidays should be in the game cause for me they dont fit, neither should a carbon copy of it with a slightly different name (i am looking at you winter festival from wow) i do think timed events and seasonal events THAT ARE NOT ON EARTH would be a cool idea’’

Most of the time they are just a way to get players into the game, which is why i think any event can do that without being an earthly seasonal event, i do however also admit that the placement is usually there since that is when people have vacation (for atleast some of the seasonal events)

1 Like

No of course not, but you did only respond to that part of my reply.

Fair, didnt think of that.

This would be word for word my reply then to your base stance:

Edit: and I’m all for lore events instead of earth events. Just wanted to push a reminder that devs can forge the lore however they want so any actual dev events can still occur around the (earth) holidays for almost any reason they can think of.

as mentioned

but fine, please do explain to me, where is the line? i assume havok was talking about props that can be seen as festive, so lights and stuff, that i dont mind too much, decor (as long as it is not too overkill) but where is the line? should there be LITTERAL christmas events in the game? thats what i wouldnt want to see, i dont mind a person decorating his house but imagine around christmas enemies would drop candy canes and stuff, i dont see it as fitting.

so what do you want? what do you mean by ‘‘event’’? because i am talking about ‘‘events’’ and you are talking about decor now.

Would Holiday themed quests, similar to WoW’s Headless horseman quest line be too far? A set up where only monsters pertaining to such a seasonal quest would drop seasonal items, but all other monsters are unaffected.

Would another possibility be Holiday worlds that are only open for a period around a holiday that had special holiday creatures or item drops, but then wiped and closed after the holiday expired?

It seems to me that havok’s quote was talking about décor and my post mentioned the word “events” three times…in fact you event quoted it…but I’m glad you can tell me what I’m talking about :wink:

Really I was just trying to agree with you here. Devs can say “oh, from Dec 24-Jan 1, effect X will appear because of reason Y for any player that does Z” or “Any given player A can tackle challenge B during this time because of lore reason C”. Thus they can make a lore-driven event that takes place during the earth holidays. That’s what my quote was saying. I’m all for lore events. They can still happen during times of celebration in the real world. Devs have that power. That’s all I was trying to get at. I didn’t mention Christmas enemies or themed loot or anything. :wink:

1 Like

Sigh, apologies, seems i missed your intent.

i give up, i cant be arsed to argue against it anymore, in the end its something i dislike but not something i can keep wasting this much energy to argue against.

… uh why dont we just have worlds that open up for events and special holidays, just like how we require oort crystals to venture to tiered worlds, they could easly create a sort of dungeon or areas in tiered worlds where we can mine ( hallowore lets just say ) and go to that specific world, collect holiday gear, defeat bosses and they can open up that world whenever there is a demand for it suppose.

This way the main tiered worlds can be kept exactly as they are, and holiday themed worlds can be a temporary rift in the portals or some ■■■■ that allows us to venture there for a short period of time
Which also allows then to update it frequently without dropping other worlds down to add new stuff

2 Likes