Hope you would consider PVP system

I don’t think anyone is suggesting PVP that is not opt in.

1 Like

This is not someone arguing about should titans be next, this is about a change in the nature of the game. That is not micromanaging. This is a discussion on what the game will become. Is it going to be another one of the battle royale games that are currently littering the gaming world or keep to its vision?

2 Likes

You should start a famous poll to see how many want pvp. I’d be interested to see how popular it is among people on the forums at least.

2 Likes

Posting polls is scary.

5 Likes

Haha I know thats why i suggested you do it :wink: lol

2 Likes

I agree and when we have had groups of players that take the adversarial role we get issues like we had on Biitula and then the developers end up spending time trying to blunt player actions by introducing things like reservation areas and compactness. The developers or at least the players do not seem overly interested in adversity in the game.

2 Likes
1 Like

I know but people hate pvp so much that I want to make as clear as possible that when we ask about pvp is not to turn whe whole game in a fighting game, as I said in other topics,for me the best way to have more interest in the game is if the game offers multiple game modes which is why I think minecraft is so popular.

2 Likes

I think there are fun games you could play that are borderline PVP. Like a slingbow variant (not forged, but crafted) that applies a buff marker, and you can only receive the marker if you’re holding that slingbow (you keep the marker when you unequip). Or something that applies knockback to other oortians holding the same thing. Basically just tools to enable more opt-in games.

For me, just turning on PVP with the current combat system is not that interesting.

Agree overall with sentiments that PVP should have 0 effect on economy.

I have to admit I think it’s important for people to express when they think something is good but not worth finite dev time. In life, there are infinite “good” things but we can’t do them all. It’s information that also helps the devs decide what the playerbase wants or what would be good for the playerbase.

I do have a question on how players define PvP.

Boundless is currently a PvE game. I would argue that including a dungeon would still make Boundless a PvE game. The dungeon as an inanimate object will damage every player equally for the same actions. Just like a mob would. Only if players can literally attack each other and damage each other is it a PvP game. Is this what everyone else thinks or is my definition way off?

2 Likes

We have enough tools that a player can cause harm to another player. We have player vs player activities in the game but they’re developed by players. This can be considered ‘griefing’ or ‘emergent gameplay’ depending on context and who you ask.

Since no tools are given with the explicit purpose of causing direct harm to another player, It’s considered a non-PVP game. But people who want to fight compete are still going to find a way.

Anyways at a high level I agree with you but that definition leaves stuff like racing games to be listed as “not Player vs Player”.

:man_shrugging:

3 Likes

OK so this is probably where the line gets fuzzy for Boundless. If a player creates a dungeon are you griefing or adding to the PvE? If it is not developer created or sponsored then maybe it is more easily viewed as griefing. I guess right now a trap in a dungeon like a hole in a glass floor that would drop a player into lava would probably be viewed as griefing. If that is true, then it is actually PvP and would have to be marked somehow by where it is located or something so players could not call it griefing.

And thank you for your answer

1 Like

I was thinking specifically about stuff like dodgebombs as well.

• Bomb a player into a lava pit in the open world or on a hunt it’s “griefing”.

• Bomb a player into a lava pit in an arena and it’s “consensual PvP”.

Leave a hole in the glass floor of a hub vs the reaper trials? One is definitely griefing not sure if the other is PVP.

EDIT: Yes, “adding to the PVE” as you put it.

1 Like

I don’t think it needs to be about attacking other players in a violent way. I don’t want PvP where everyone is just running around shooting each other with slingbows in a FFA. I think PvP refers to any activity that pits players against one another. In a way dodgebombs is a form of PvP in my mind. We need more games that can be played against other people. Make a paintball forge effect like someone mentioned have it add some debuff marker so you know the other person has been hit. Then we could have paintball games in PvP beacons. Set up obstacles and things to hide behind and go crazy.

Maybe some capture the flag plinths where there’s a flag on it to be captured and brought to your own bases plinth, and the longer it remains on your plinth you get more points.

PvP doesn’t need to be expressly attacking others for pure violence. PvP is simply anything that pits players against one another in some way, even in harmless games like paintball or capture the flag.

It gives competition for those that want it but could be done in a non intrusive way that doesn’t entirely change the direction of the game.

3 Likes

Yeah, any new content will suffice.

Hahaha you got me.

Destruction is a creative form of art too

I would like to see ball (hopper that don’t explode) in game that we could create some sports.

2 Likes

Boundless will thrive with more room for creative mini-games. Something to do when you get bored if grinding or building. So PvP aspects (beacon toggle or whatever) will be sufficient for this.

• Pushback on buff bombs would open loads of fun games
  • Slingbow dmg for paintball team/ffa games.
  • Shields for more strategicnessness
  • One simple change, like hiding nametags + player icon on compass (beacon toggle) would open up hide and seek games, which would lead to loads of people building hide and seek ‘maps/builds/rooms’

I don’t think people are asking for PvP because they want to kill people and camp their bodies till they log off, because if they did, they would not be playing a game like boundless. They just want more room for creativity beyond building for building sake and collecting blocks. If there is an easier way to add this level of potential creativity, then I’m all ears

3 Likes

I wrote in the poll thread that creative worlds could be perfect for this. With free portals you can basically make a PvP lobby with your different game modes leading to different arenas/maps on the world. Nobody can edit without perms and you can have shop stands either as loadouts in the beginning or hidden throughout. The portal wipes your inventory too so you can’t bring anything to cheat. The host could even run around (couldn’t fly without allowing everyone to as it stands) and set off hazards during a match.

3 Likes

Please dont twist my words, I never said anything of the sort.

2 Likes