How do you like this version of glass?

Made a black version, if anyone is interested:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g1QbdZCm4RnYJokMAqh5nLp9hIKbaV5u/view?usp=sharing

5 Likes

Just wondering @Spoygg, how with doors if you place 4 of them you get two big doors. Could you do the same with glass, where you get a 2x2 with just the outside having the trim?

4 Likes

That’s down to the code and the internal categorisation of blocks - it should be possible if the devs put it in though

1 Like

that’s awesome, it would be nice to have different colored rims for different builds :slight_smile:

Yeah, if we can’t have stained glass, stained rims :pray:

1 Like

hm, most likely, maybe there’s a slim possibility of accomplishing that by tweaking models json files, though I’m not sure I’m willing to invest the time to figure it out :dizzy_face:

Yep, i think they would be better that way

1 Like

That black frame partnered with neon pink block is not a good combination to my eye :joy:. The frame kind of have a gothic theme into it and gives me Cabal vibe.

1 Like

I think you’d also need to build a 3d model for it (it’d be a prop)

2 Likes

Yeah, glass is block, so probably not possible without implementation in game, maybe if whether it’s a block or model is defined in archetypes, but that would be too much to do in areas I’m not really that knowledgeable.

Definitely a block, I was having a look earlier to see if I could make it more of a pane shape…

It was mentioned before that doors are meshes, while glass are fixed blocks. Both works totally differently with different render costs. Meshes have a higher rendering cost, which was the reason why they didn’t make glass to work like the doors. So, in short, doors are made by code magic, while what @Spoygg did with the glass was just changing the texture. Making the previous glass look like what @Spoygg did was just a simple texture swap. To make glass work like doors will require code magic and the render cost will be horrendous when you consider how much glass a build can use.

2 Likes

I see, it wouldn’t work the way I was envisioning it, but could @Spoygg remove the inner texture if the trim on the 4 blocks, so in practice it would be a big 2x2 window frame?

1 Like

Yeah no extra model will need to be made. What would need to be done is separating the texture into four parts (taking one side of the window) and scripting a file that recognizes the outer glass blocks and plops those textures on. Not super complicated but probably a little time consuming.

I think the disconnect is that some people mistook the suggestion as having 2x2 windows that open like doors? Maybe?

1 Like

Ok, I think either I didn’t explain in clearly enough. Let me try again. The door being a mesh when you put 2 blocks together, it magically transform into a larger door, and not a door that looks like having 2 cabinet doors. Code magic transforms the 2 blocks into a single door block that looks like 1 side of a double door.

With the glass block its fixed! You can’t change anything. Its not possible for @Spoygg to make a texture that magically erases the cross in the center of a group of 2x2 glass block to make it look like 1 framed larger glass block. Its possible only if he was part of the programming team and gets the OK from whomever is in charge to go ahead with that change. @Spoygg does not have the power, at the moment, to be able to create that kind of an effect.

However, now I am wondering what if they made the texture render only on 1 side of the block? Meaning that if you looked at the block from one side, the frame on the other side does not show up. So, you only always see the texture of the frame from the side you are looking at, and the other side is just invisible. Again, this takes some tweaking from the art asset side; I think it will not be as simple as just changing the texture.

In any case, one of the artist has mentioned that they might go back to revisit the texture on the glass block, at a later date. It not a high priority thing for them at the moment. I am guessing probably after the game is launched. Aesthetics are never a high priority during game development, unless it was game breaking.

3 Likes

What I understood as being asked, and this topic has come up many times in the past, to make a group of 2x2 glass block looking like 1 single framed window without that cross frame in the middle. And, the artists have said its not possible because its a block not a mesh. Blocks are fixed. Meshes they can transform, just like the doors.

3 Likes

I see what you’re saying now knights. One thing thats fuzzy to me is the architecture behind voxel games. The crossbar in the middle of a 2x2 to look like an actual window with simply tweaking the way textures are applied to each block works in my mind but also depends on if this was something that the devs planned for already. If not, obviously more time would be needed to script this and may interfere with what they already have in place. I know spoygg is not part of the design team so there are limits and it seems like the devs have said that this is not possible as you said which probably means that there is not a lot of control to how they can modify the application of their textures.

Typically, when you apply a texture it is only visible from the viewable side of the mesh or block in this case and does not show up on the opposite side of the face. It seems like the devs enabled dual textures on each glass block where it is applied to each face of the glass block, I’m not sure this is the case with every block. It would be a waste to apply textures on both faces of a rock block if players will ever see them. Assuming that the glass block is the odd one out this one should be much easier, erasing a few lines of code or simply the switch of a Boolean.

What I had a question about before and may be worth mentioning now mention about a blocks inability to transform (move in vector talk) and what I assume rotate as well. I was so intrigued in one trailer where they had the giant Titan, with rotating sections/ movable platforms. At this point it does not seem possible based on what you’re saying, but I may be wrong. I don’t want to go on a tangent and may start up a different thread later or just wait when we see these titans so that I don’t have to bug the devs.

1 Like

All adjacent glass blocks are meshed into a single solid - you’ll only see reverse textures on the faces of that solid (try making a 2x2x2 glass cube - there won’t be any inner textures). But they do render the reverse textures, yeah - I’m pretty sure it’s to make the visuals feel a bit less magic

2 Likes

There hasn’t been too much talk about it lately, however there have been hints in the past of special blocks that do allow translation (and probably rotation). Specifically hints about things like airships.

2 Likes

I’m not too sure if it would look good without the reverse texture in anyway. It lets the player know where the end of the glass patch is. I personally think it is fine how it is right now.

3 Likes