How exactly does Prestige work, because I'm going backwards!?

So I’m off building in an ice biome and, you know, I’d rather have a grassy yard - if the Packers can do it so can I! As I was doing the process of converting ice to grass, I noticed my beacon Prestige was going backwards! What gives? As a test, I selected an 8x8 plot of ice. I was at 6724 prestige. I dug all the ice out and was up to 6727 prestige. After filling in the hole with silty soil I DROPPED to 6715! Is this how it’s supposed to work?

Ahh the prestige system. Ever so controversial. You are summoning quite a notorious topic here. :wink:

Anyway, there have been discussions littered through different posts here regarding this matter. As it stands, from what I understood, majority of the prestige points comes directly on block’s prestige value so silty soils obviously has a low one. In order to prevent material spam to gain unfair amount of prestige points, some considerations/factors were added. Couple of them that I can remember on top of my head:

• Chiseled blocks - Increases the prestige value
  • Clutter of same blocks - Reduces the potential value of the prestige
  • Variety of blocks - Increases the prestige value

Actually not sure if these were already implemented or still up for discussion. With that said, it can be quite tricky to compute or estimate the resulting prestige value. What I think happened on your case was that when you cleared the 8x8 plot of ice, it considered it a nice ‘excavation’ and when it was filled with soil, it just became plain dirt land.

2 Likes

air vs filled is a percent bonus to prestige. this is why when it’s empty you get a little more, because so much of your normal beacon is already filled in.

when you filled it with silty soil, which has ZERO prestige, just like rock, it removed the percent bonus

unless they updated from their previous system

I didn’t know that… RIP my hobbit hole :frowning:
Good thing I currently don’t care about prestige that much (but maybe not later!)

Anything said here is subject to change. The prestige system is a work in progress, but for the time being the block values are here;

You can also see the modifiers by double tapping period in-game; block variety, exotic blocks from other planets, build ratio, build size and chisel ratio.

I’m posting from my phone, so I might be missing some - but as I said; all this is subject to change, so don’t get too cosy with the current system.

2 Likes

hey, i was gonna post that

I’m lazy to read all the responses, but natural blocks give negative prestige, -1 per block. You can only notice that after you have some prestige on beacon, if you remove some natural blocks prestige will go up and vice versa.