How far out is farming

Ty :smiley: exciting stuff

I think glas floors doesn’t affect sun’ight

Haha, seriously this. Give me something better to do with them than give huge stacks away!

I suppose my biggest question on farming right now is if the organic farming will have restrictions on world level and soil type, and if so how much. There is actually a ton of what should be great farming land near to my settlement - huge flat open fields. But it is Alder, and also, it is pretty much all peaty soil. If some stuff needs silty soil, there are some spots on Alder that alternate so that they almost look like a farm already, so I might go there. I’m tempted to just beacon and grab a 10X10 or so area near to me now, would be great for a farming alt there if you can at least grow most stuff on a lv 1, without having to worry about protections and all.

1 Like

I just got ownership of some plots near one of my old builds. Im tempted to build a warehouse but that space could also be used for farming. Wish We knew more about what farming is so we can start prepping now :weary::joy:

Might just build the warehouse now to use for exoplanet storage since that might come first.

2 Likes

can anyone supply the quote from a dev saying that sun light is required for farming? I just can’t find it.
I really really want to grow by the light of gleam in my cave lair.

3 Likes

bummer. ohh well I have a plan B.

Yup put the farm on your roof! Hopefully that works :sob:

1 Like

dont wonna go look for it but i can confirm i saw that to think james said it

Do we know if glass will count as sunlight? Like can we have greenhouses?

Just chisel a little shaft into the ground. It doesn’t mention anything about the QUANTITY of sunlight.

… I hope I didn’t jinx us by bringing that up…

4 Likes

Glass wont block ‘sunlight’ for farming.

But, as it stands, the rule will be ‘vertical direct sunlight (ignoring glass)’ because we dont want the cost of doing full lighting of chunks on the server the way the client does. That could change in future (I hope so too), but isn’t a small amount of work to be able to have full lighting server-side in a cheap enough way that wont require us to end up reducing creatures/playercounts as a result

6 Likes

Maybe they can make special green house lamps using a varient of the current lamp?

Bc I dunno about anyone else, but my seedling babies grow in my dark basement for like two months by lamp before I risk a freak cold snap outside.

Thats actually not bad, a mutli layered farm is still possible just rows will have to be lined up right.

Thank you.

Ugh, dates man, we need dates.

Both MK11 and Days Gone are out at the end of next month. Hopefully I have time to actually play this before they are out.

WS has a really nasty habit of dropping major updates at the same time other games come out.

Gotta aim for those windows.

Warehouse in basement, farm on top! Farming needs sunlight, storage doesn’t!

Will we get snow that covers our poor plants so we cannot see them to take care of them? Could be interesting.

(gasp!) I didn’t even think of that! :open_mouth:

glass wont block “direct sunlight” so can put a glass roof over the crops.

glass does block the snow effect.

3 Likes

Yea thats what i was gonna do but now im building the warehouse underground lol. I’ll just find a new spot for farming when it comes out :laughing: