How "regenerative" should worlds be?

I mean: it’s very difficult to protect big structures like a road with manual beacons and more difficult to learn game do it automaticaly

Hm… actually no^^ I mean. As I understand beacons atm, we will be able to form them however we want. And since most streets are straight there shouldn’t be a problem with beaconing them easily.

Do you mean it’s even more difficult to make the game do it automatically or to learn how to let the game do it automatically?

1 Like

If a timer system is implemented (reset a reclamation timer for structures that are visited by users in the world) then infrastructure outside of personal beacons like roads, ice highways (:)), etc. should be well-enough traveled that they’re not reclaimed by the “Protectors.” And if they do get munched from time-to-time that wouldn’t be all that different from the real world where infrastructure needs to be kept up. Hopefully that would be an edge-case and not something that would get too annoying to have to keep working on.

It’s the things like mines that are used by a single user, etc. that I would think beacons could be useful.

3 Likes

I mean first: to make the game do it automatically. It’s simply for straight streets, but difficult for long roads between two or more towns. This roads cann’t be straight, they will twist between hills and rocks.

About timer: I think, characters can posses some kind of souls’s scent. This scent can prevent reconstruction, and active roads will stay still, but abandoned roads and buildings will be destructed.

How hard it will be to beacon long or twisted streets depends only on how the devs implement beacons. So we can’t really say something about that yet.

1 Like

Again, single voxel beacons (which seems to be what they have planned now except they are infinitely tall and low) so say if you want to make a road you literally just make the road and beacon each individual block, you would most likely like to beacon one blog on either side out though and maybe beacon a few high, but if you do that then it should stay with no problem.

the problem however with ‘‘only keep travelled roads active’’ is if we end up with a very complex infrastructure and maybe a single person would like to have a road from his house to the nearest city just so he can find it, if he is the only one using that road then clearly it would disappear, why would you punish a person who is WILLING to use a beacon on the road, by saying ‘‘i know you can pay, but nope, only main travelled roads’’ same thing if we get dungeons or raids, if there is a raid zone then you could make a road from the nearby city to it, but if it requires a certain amount of people it will most likely only be used in the weekends where people have time. what if you want to dig a tunnel through a mountain so WHEN people need to get through a mountain they dont need to climb all the way to the top and down but can go through it, say that is only used once every 2 weeks when people find it, but imagine the joy when they do, the joy of finding a road made by another player purely selflessly to lessen the burden of travellers. you dont think that is worth having?

1 Like

What about having community beacons for roads. Somebody crafts it and it is good for X days, to keep it active there is a community donation involved.

This beacon

1. Would have no owner and cannot be reclaimed if destroyed.
  2. Would disappear of unfed for X days
  3. Changes color based on closeness to expiration (blinking in the last day).
  4. Cannot prevent griefing, just regenerating
  5. Can be destroyed by anyone.
  6. Is super cheap to make, so not a big deal if a griefer takes it out.
1 Like
  1. i am personally against the idea of constant beacon upkeep, also as my previous example ‘‘what if you make a pass through a mountain which might only be used once in a while, why would you force people to constantly pay just for trying to do something good?’’

2. the point of beaconing is to protect against regen AND grifers, allowing everybody to destroy the road at will would be absolutely horrible, because you know griefers will do it

You have a very ideal view on it, if i truly believed that people wouldnt go destroy roads just to be dicks then i would agree, but i dont believe that, quite the contrary

Nobody is saying that you can’t make a personal beacon and use it, but it is not desirable or fair to make everyone do that for a road. Besides, personal beacons prevent community work. I rather enjoy going through areas and improving the quality of the roads.

I am not idealistic, but if these noregen beacons are super cheap, griefers wont find value in griefing them.

Too much selfish stuff will promote selfish playing.

1 Like

Personal beacons however go from the highest to the lowest, which i say, i think there SHOULD be specific road beacons, however i think they should only cover a certain height, meaning i could make a beacon which is 50 long 5 wide and 2 tall to cover a road rather than making a 50 long, 5 wide and 256 high, if you want groupwork you should either A) make the road BEFORE you beacon it, or B) just put their tokens in the beacons, but it is a tricky one i admit. i just think the main focus should be ‘‘What if you make something to help people even though it is rarely used’’ rather than ‘‘You should only be able to stop regen from things which are constantly used’’ which it seems to be going for right now :smile:

also this, you are taking someone’s else’s work and changing it, this is the literal definition of griefing, even with the best of intention, if you change something people made without asking, you are griefing, you see?

I disagree on that. How many sky roads have you seen made out of single column of dirt? It is garbage and even the person that made it knows that.

I do agree people should have the option to personal beacon their own road if desired, but it should be expensive as roads do get in every other player’s way (yes building half hearted roads is a form of griefing)… I would never do that personally because I want to welcome people to play with me in their own way. If you build open, you know the results may not be awesome, but it is ok, really. More times than not, others will come improve it or at least join to it.

The only thing I want to stop is regeneration of roads.

1 Like

Why does it matter if the beacon used for a road is 2 or 256 blocks high?

I´m all in favor of places/roads that only regenerate if they are not frequently used. This would feel quite natural and fair (If a tunnel or road is rarely used it also means that it is not really needed, therefore most people wont bother if it would disappear.)
And if you absolutely want a tunnel or road on that position you could still use your personal beacon for it, which would also be fair since then it would be a tunnel that is there because you want it there and not because it is needed by many players.

1 Like

I would agree with this except for point 5. I’m assuming that point 5 exists to prevent griefers from using it to make their own grief permanent, but adding an expiration timer to the beacon (as well as making the name of the player who placed it visible to everybody) should be enough to prevent this style of use in most cases.

That was the motivation.

Because it is for infrastructure? which types of roads do you make which is infinitely big? they should be used for certain areas you want to make a road of, let me give you 2 examples

1. if i want to make a route through a mountain to help people, if i place beacon there i will beacons the entire part of that mountain meaning that people cant mine there even if i wanted to let them to

2. if you want to make roads binding flying islands together so they dont disappear, if i had to make a full size beacon i might also beacon several flying islands over and under the road so nobody can use them, even if i wanted to let them do so.

you see it now?

@Tahru let me get this right though… you use the argument ‘‘everybody should be able to change them’’ because you want to be able to change all roads you dont like? just… what? i can understand the 1 block dirt towers which will disappear anyways cause of the normal system, if people make a huge 1 block tower and beacon it they should be allowed to, its their tower after all, if is something gamebreaking in terms of blocking something there should be a report option for beacons, which will be needed anyways or we will have beaconed genitalia everywhere in the worlds.

given how much space there is in the world i think there will be times where a road is less travelled, but why should that mean it just disappears? again please explain the mentality ‘‘if it is not used ‘‘often’’ then it is not worth existing’’

Sounds like you are misunderstanding the point. In simple terms.

1. Yes to personal beacons for whatever purpose. This should be all you care about from your arguments.
  2. Yes, to no-regen only beacons, because that is how many people want to play.
  3. Which beacon you use if any, is your choice.

This is not mutually exclusive. Everyone can have it their way.

1 Like

I still think that beacons isn’t right way to resolve roads natural destruction. The complex algorithms of buildings degradation may do this work better.
For example it can looks so:

• Road made by stone four meters width.
  • After few weeks borders of road become degradate: stone turns into pebbles.
  • When major part of borders flaked, next line of road (here - centrals) become degradate same kind. Pebble blocks of borders and nearest dirt blocks become turning to stony dirt.
  • Major part of road turned to pebbles or stony dirt. Outer stony dirt turning to sandy dirt.
  • Major part of road turned to dirt. Road turned to lengthy swelling. This swelling slowly smoothing out.
  • All signs of road dwindled.

UPD:

Fine, but how do you stop a road from degrading without replacing every block?

Well… No, that is absolute bs, let me link again just so you understand what im saying

you see? im talking about infrastructure beacons where you can be extremely spefic, how many blocks you want it tall rather than infinitely tall, you understand?

Stats? proof? Sources?

okay… let me try to change the argument

Say you want to make a road from Point A to Point B, you get your public beacon and you make it, you use 4 hours thinking of a really spefic design and you do with great care place all of them, i come along, dont like, and i change the entire thing to be a simple road with no details, or even better, i go and change all the blocks back to grassblocks but with a slightly different color, because I think it looks better than your detailed stuff. so now i basically took and removed your entire road and changed it to how want it.

You would totally be fine with this yeah? because that is what you said You wanted to do, and i quote

I know I wasn´t addressed with this but I would be fine with it. After all it would be a public beacon meaning that everyone can alter it, if I wanted a very specific road theme that is protected I would use some of my beacons for it.