How the game handles connection issues

I will start this by saying I know that the connection issues are very likely somewhere between me and the Aus servers as I am not having any issues on any other servers.

I have a different question this time. Is there any thing that can be done to change how the game reacts to spiky connections? I did a little demo video of what I have to deal with most afternoons at my base on Lasaina. Before doing this video it took me about 15 mins to put items into 5 shop stands for Exo Shivarius and label the 5 signs to go with them due to all the interrupts / restarts.

If I wasn’t putting out atlases and tokens for the new Exo I would have just quit for the night but I persisted through it and it drove me a bit insane so I thought I would come and ask if maybe there is something different that can be done.

If not, then no big deal, I will just avoid playing when my connection has these types of spikes to Aus servers (only to Aus servers). Just figured it can’t hurt to ask.

1 Like

The only thing i know of (which might not be what you’re looking for but might help improve your experience) is to change the game settings to stop input when connection is bad. This prevents you from inadvertently destroying storages or placing lava or etc while getting teleported around due to bad connection.

1 Like

I will give that a try. It might work ok in these situations… I can just clear my tools out to avoid accidental destruction.

Sometimes it’s too bad the only thing i have control on is exiting the game haha. Don’t underestimate the bad connection monster xD

1 Like

Played with it a bit… it “might” help when doing the task I was struggling with as long as I don’t try to move much. Could keep me from going crazy… with the inputs disable I have been stuck in loops where I can’t even quit normally it keeps interrupting the process, returning to the game then when i hit escape it immediately interrupts me again… rinse repeat… to the point I have just ctrl+alt+del and ended boundless before which I dread doing.

This kind of problem wouldn’t exist if the game wasn’t designed to interpret input at the server side for EVERYTHING.

Movement is handled server-side, character rotation is handled server-side, even the direction one LOOKS is handled server-side. If some of these operations could be performed clientside, when spikes of network instability would happen the game can still perform smoothly. Look at all sorts of other online games where the client handles movement and transmits that back to the server rather than the server handling movement for every single player on it.

1 Like

So any devs (maybe @blake or @lucadeltodecso ?) have any ideas what could be causing this type of connection? It was not like this before, but the last month or so has been just terrible to the Aus server from here in South Korea in the evenings. It does seem more extreme while standing in by base (first video) but even when away from machines and storage (second video) it is still nothing but spikes.

Not blaming the game, just trying to get to a point where its semi playable again in the evenings. Other servers are not doing this, and Aus server is fine (and better than any other servers) in the mornings. It seems the same from home using a wired connection, or wireless, or even using my phones hotspot… pure spiky hell all the way around lately.

At least you get the window that blocks your character. On mac there is nothing blocking you character movements and (when I do get those spikes) I end up 20m away, in a random directions, some times falling to my death. Or if I build while the spikes exist I end up distroying other random stuff, or just placing blocks randomly. Way worse on mac.

Just for comparison, this is my connection in the mornings to Aus servers

Pretty sure everybody worldwide is experiencing connection issues due to the unprecedented load on the internet. Honestly I’m shocked it isn’t worse.

1 Like

Yeah, it is just coming in odd quick spikes, and only to Aus, and only in the evenings.

1 Like

Every day seems to be getting worse to Aus servers for me. I may have to move regions just to be able to play at this rate unfortunately… even though I am much closer physically to Aus.

1 Like

Yes experiencing alot more recently US here.

Same happens to me, it usually happened on EU or AUS servers but now even on maryx gets crazy.

This is kinda what scares me. Up until a few weeks ago Aus was fine, but now it has turned to complete ■■■■ connection wise for me in the evenings. But… if I go through the effort to uproot my entire base and rebuild it on US west (currently the best connection for me in the evenings) and then in a few weeks US west becomes a problem, then what do I do…

1 Like

Build 2 bases! Lol

In all seriousness hope this problem dissapers when people can start going out again

1 Like

Oh I would for sure do this if I could have two home beacons but the warp to home beacon limitation and skill page swap restrictions makes having 2 homes kinda a nightmare.

I can go any world an be fine, I do get lag and it can be bad sometimes for a few seconds.