How will the player driven economic system work

We have talked about setting the default price of an item to the average price or lowest current price for the world you are currently on. That way it gives players a little bit of a guide price.

4 Likes

Probably remove outliers from the equation. Something like the top and bottom 5% to avoid price manipulation.

2 Likes

Actually the price is set based on what the npc vendors buy it for, not the market. Add-ons will set it based on market, but the game defaults is generally npc price. Which is why in some games some materials have no default price when set, cause NPCs donā€™t buy it at all. Prices based on the market require huge algorithms, and the way the game works that could be something that would actually break it due to inter-planet markets, the huge distance between markets, variation. Also what if something enters the market for the first time? It is a rough idea based on something that already exists in games and works, and that I personally think is very helpful. I never know what to sell my stuff for, an initial default price would be helpful to measure the worth of the item. That is all this is for, to help measure the worth of an item when the player is unsure. If you are starting a new market and the algorithm only goes from nearby markets, you have no starting price if the system wants to go based off the market. But also the initial market development. Instead of having the player base guess and check what works, start a ground work of where the devs think something should be worth based on how its appearance and regularity is. A rare item is obviously more expensive than a common one, however a rare item that you can barely do anything with wonā€™t sell for as much as a common item that can be used for a lot of things. A future transition to an integrated system like the auctioneer add-on is fine, but initially would be useless. Initially set values that a player can base off would be more useful.

I kinda feel that you are talking about a specific game now instead of games in general?

You donā€™t need to keep writing such long posts man, you just want to make your point that you want the devs to set base prices on everything right?

Think we all get that, but most people (myself included) donā€™t seem to agree.

Just pick your prices and go for it, thatā€™s what iā€™ve done. I set high prices then brought them down until people started buying. Then recently i just decided to drop everything right down to bring my power core price under 1000 coins.

I think my prices are some of the lowest on the market right now, but as is the way economy works Iā€™m just waiting until other prices lower before I choose to spend my money on other peopleā€™s stuff. Eventually most servers will have the same prices due to competition, it wonā€™t take long once portals are in and people are planet hopping regularly.

Every single MMO in the past 10 years has done it that way.

Wichall:
I keep writing such long posts because a lot of the responses I am getting demonstrate that they donā€™t actually understand what I am saying.

A good game that does Player Economy well is a game called Albion Online. They do basically what you are saying. It is a all player driven economy but when you want to sell something it tells you what the average price is going for at that time. It changes all the time cause some people sell stuff for 60 some sell it for 40 so it tells you that if you are selling above or below what the average market is going for and the average is 50. it is done really well.

I think that specific type of system would be great once the economy has been around for a while. But even Albion Online when the economy first started all the initial ā€œdefaultā€ set prices were game decided, not player decided. For example if you were to sell iron for the very first time in the games history, the default value is game (dev) set.

yeah I know. I was just trying to back you up

I appreciate it lol. I think itā€™s a good system though. So many games use it for a reason. It helps set prices that arenā€™t outrageous. First time I ever went to a market people were selling glass for 200 coin a piece, I was like ā€œthe fā€ glass ainā€™t worth that much.

I highly doubt that since almost any MMO community spawned plenty of mods/tools that tell you price averages.
And if a group of hobby-modder is able to create such algorithms, I have no doubt that a team of professional game developers could do so with ease.

Definitely not, ā€œthemeparkā€ MMOs tend to work that way, yes. But there are plenty of MMOs that use vastly different design approaches.
EvE Online, to just name one example, features no NPC vendors (except for some specific ones that solely sell a very small and specific set of items), yet it still tells you regional averages for each item, without relying on developer issued price-guidance.

EvE Online, again, seems to work just fine, albeit having hundreds of systems/markets/worlds stretched across an enormous Universe.
It does that by just telling you the average of the region/system you are currently located at. This way it can also respects price fluctuations due to different local demands/supplies/availabilities.
And given that this system successfully runs for over a decade suggest that it is indeed possible without ā€˜breakingā€™ anything.

Most games/programs simply show a N/A if thatā€™s the case. Definitely no issue here :wink:

You might be careful when comparing Boundless to other MMOs as it is distinctly different in terms of gameplay and design.

1 Like

just cause people ā€˜dont agreeā€™ doesnt mean they ā€˜dont understandā€™ lol

i dont want them to set prices

ruby on one planet is easier to get on that planet than it is two or three planets away and as such availability should definitely affect value

also in this way players can build up positive or negative trade reputations, or reputations in general for their markets or themselves.

its like saying lets go to witchalls shop even though its farther away because umbravictusā€™ price are buy too low sell too high

2 Likes

if everyones items are the same price, there is no point in choosing where you go other than whichever is the closest to you that has the item you want. theres no market competition there, and that provides for a very boring economy.

We should be the ones to come up with the value of items both in game and as a group of players here in the forums. This would also require a system of attributing value that takes into account availability and rarity.

Meaning, the gem from four planets over should cost more than the gem from one planet over. The gleam color from five planets away should cost more than local gleam.

This would give the system a dynamic, where the values of things change based on where you live and how hard it was to ship there.

Just started the game but is the only way to get coins by completing objectives (including the dailies)? Feels like there should be a way for us to create our own coins - maybe a special ore from mining and minting machines?

You get coins when you level up. Maximum level is 50, but even after that on every 200k xp you get more plots and coins.

Beside that I like your idea, but thatā€™s a recipe for hyperinflation :smiley:

One more thing, contract system is being worked on so players will be able to contract other players for various tasks like building, mining etc.

It might seem that there isnā€™t enough coins, but when you get past certain point you donā€™t know what to do with them, we need more services and good shops :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You can put up a shop and sell stuff, visit a town and take a look.

1 Like

Donā€™t we get coin for footfall on out builds?

I sell a few basic tools at my shop stand in pixelgate, but I get far more coin from footfall than the stands.

1 Like

At one point I thought of creating and lvling a character spending the coins, giving the item(s) to second character delete, and repeat as needed, but it would just make this worse and not better.

After reading a lot of these posts, that was the first thing to pop into my head!!

1 Like

forgot about that one :smiley:

1 Like