Hunt Etiquette And Portals For Slow Pokes

Oh no! I have been enjoying the hunts, @Bethlehem ! :slight_smile:

I was just trying to work out the etiquette for portals, is all. I thought the reasoning was a performance one, and was trying to work out what it was, and how I could avoid it, and still portal in to a hunt that’s half-way through. :slight_smile:

I’ve tried (literally in every post here) to indicate that any disdain here that I hold is toward my own deficient brain capabilities! :wink:

And, as I stress, it’s not a BROWN thing … it’s a “my brain being deficient” thing :wink: … BROWN hunts are the ones I like! :slight_smile: ( It was a different hunt I didn’t enjoy … :shushing_face: )

You just spoke another language to me, here, @Kokuma :laughing: … I genuinely can’t make my brain work with economy.

To be fair, I try never to assume anything about anyone … but … yeah, BROWN (and many others) are the kindest of kind! … :slight_smile:

Actually, I think it was yourself that portal’ed me in to the a hunt on the new sovreign, Valhalla (I think), @kasaisaru .

Can’t believe that regen fucker. Wouldn’t it be great if when someone was put on block in the game literally nothing that their character did could affect you. :smirk: That would truly knobble these trolls!

I will say, though, that on most hunts I’ve had with most guilds … so many folks go unheard … I think because … if you’ve fallen behind, then even shouting might not be heard … Wouldn’t a ‘hunt chat’ be a great temporary chat thing in-game. :thinking:

So … I have questions about this, @xyberviri

1. What’s a “speed hunt”?
  2. What’s “pulling 6’s with minimum lag”?
  3. What’s “pulling down 3-4’s with lag for most of the night coming and going” ?

Sorry … I’m braindead!

@Kokuma, cheers, I might do that, mate! I’ve been mostly building, and have one of each machine (but might build more) … and haven’t yet started the wheels of industry, yet … as it’s felt boring. I made a ton of bank in a recent marathon, so I’ve been dining off of that, but it’ll soon be down to nothing … and how you made the same amount of money through just doing stuff has blown my mind!

I’ve been at it for a couple months longer than you, but I’m waaaaaaaaaaaay more rubbish than you at this! :laughing:

Thanks all for the awesome responses! :slight_smile: :trophy:

1 Like

This is part of the reason.

When a warp opens, the game has to push a lot of bytes of information over the internet to your local computer to describe what’s on the other side of the portal so it can be drawn. If it’s during a hunt, there is already a lot of bytes flowing through the internet to describe where all the other players and mobs are and what they are doing. If you have an unreliable connection to the internet, like mine, opening a portal during a battle can make the game literally unplayable until the battle is over and it’s mop-up time.

That said, it’s only a problem near where the warp is opened. If you’re opening a warp away from the action or from the sanctum it should not cause lag at the battle site. What I can’t tll you is how near “near” is.

1 Like

Speed hunting is when you use hunt platforms placed on the edge of the region boundary so that you can open a portal to the edge of the place that causes the meteors to spawn.

3-4,6 is the level of the meteor that spawns when you were out hunting.

When level 6 meteors were appearing the whole group was running to each region. but this was a group of 30 players, versus when 15 down to maybe 8 players where still having random lag spikes when opening

I setup 63 regions setup with speed hunt platforms on Valhalla and never had issue with lag when i tested them out solo and with smaller groups of 2-3 players.

1 Like

Nothing to do with performance - just those damn dirty griefers who flock to our hunt!

4 Likes

OK, cool. What I might start doing is dropping a “current location” co-ord into the Q&A channel during a hunt to keep stragglers up to date and able to catch up.

It’ll save the leader’s friend list from idiots like me :wink: and also mean that when late comers, newbies, slow pokes do portal in, they’re on the edge of any potential meteor, or only a hundred or so metres behind the group instead of 1000s. :slight_smile:

Could also help with the feeling of not being heard that can happen often (through accidental means, I’m sure).

Hehehe, well, grief is something I had to literally block the other night. :wink:

Cheers, @Bethlehem! 50096a1020