I am a game loyalist until the day it ends. But Boundless needs an Overhaul!

Yeah, who is part of the majority? How do we know if we’re part of the majority or the minority?

But not getting ideas and criticism here doesn’t seem like an improvement. It just needs to be understood that it’s come a subset of the playing community.

For the record we:

1. look at game metrics and analytics (what actually happens instead of what players think happen),
  2. take feedback from the forums, reddit, twitter, discord, wherever it comes,
  3. include our own analysis and ideas, and
  4. I also get a lot of feedback via PMs.

This all goes into the big salad-spinner as we attempt to workout “what next”.

We’re always asking “what is right for the current players and the future players who’re yet to play the game?”

Additionally:

Tangible feedback is the most helpful.

Comments like “make the game better” or “give us more stuff to do” doesn’t get much traction. The more tangible the feedback is the easier is for us to understand and fold it into the planning. Direct comments about spawn rates, distributions, recipes, actions, tangible changes.

For example, this is really helpful:

Is this explicit about an improvement. Remove the limitation of warping distances and simply allow the costs to scale with distance - which returns the limitation. Easy to understand. And likely easy to implement.

Gold :star: for @bucfanpaka.

35 Likes

Thank you.

2 Likes

I would love a long forum post of what direction devs want the game to go. Their most wanted ideas that they want to do, ideas that we’re likely to see and so forth. Most devs are very quiet and we don’t get a lot of info unless we specifically ask for it.

4 Likes

I feel like there are some core abilities that should be obtained when you reach a certain level. They should not take up skill points.

I agree with @bucfanpaka that using portals shouldn’t take up skill points. That ability should be gained when you reach a certain level.

I also don’t think jump, speed, and armor should be skill points. They should be gained as you level up imo. Your character should become stronger/faster in general. The skill points should be used to specialize & fine tune a character for a specific purpose.

24 Likes

The atmospheric protections are a bit confusing. Making is scale linearly might help new players.

4 Likes

Armor I cannot speak to, but the others I do agree. I would also add that the starting movement speed is too low. How much exploring am I going to do if it takes me 10 minutes to get to and over a hill? Not as much as if it only took 5 minutes.

7 Likes

Yes, agreed totally - taking away some of those skills on the page and granting them at level points would help with the growing pains and skill management. :slight_smile: Might also prevent really early players from making some decisions that might result in their experience not going as smoothly as it could.

3 Likes

Reminder that players under Lvl 20 can respec for free. The idea here was that they don’t really know what the skills do and how useful they are - so let them experiment.

(This doesn’t mean that the skill tree is perfect.)

5 Likes

True - I forget about that, something I need to remind the newer folks of myself, that they can respec free until that point! :slight_smile: Thanks!

Experimenting is great.

But maybe like an additional page like “core skill” and let the skill pages be for specializations.

Have the core skills always active and we can swap between specializations.

You can also say core skill points are rewarded when you hit 50+ 1 point per time. And maby exchange (4) skill points for (1) core skill point.

Because skills like tax, portal, movement, health should be core skills. As you swap with skills tax is useless to have if you switch skills. That why i made an alt for my shops.

9 Likes

I have alot skill points and every time i hit 50+ Only the cubits are useful now

Brainstorm time again (yeah, I know, run for cover…) but on thinking of how I’ve seen dev mailboxes in Ultima… what if the Sanctum Elder got a mailbox? Basically labeled as a feedback box, separate from those. That would be obvious to even the newest player. Problem would be the flood of random messages they’d have to sort through.

2 Likes

It’s still potentially an indication that it’s not a good solution.

The whole point of the skill system was to allow players total freedom to create their own “class”.

Instead of us defining a crafter, fighter, explorer, whatever … the game gives this over to the player and lets them pick whatever they want. It’s a sandbox class system. Maybe you want to be a “double jumping, tank, crafter” - that’s up to you!

• There are often requests for creating classes - but surely this is less control for players? As it would limit what skills you can take.
  • Likewise there are often requests for giving players skills automatically when they hit levels - but again this is less control for players. (Maybe they want to be slow - and value something else?)
  • Likewise there are often requests for giving skills based on activity - you’ve mined 10k stone you’re now a master miner - but this seems like grind to get better. Giving players control of the skills allow them to choose where they want to be good.

What I’m assuming is the base issue is that you ultimately want some skills from free, so that you can free up skill points, because you really want more of the other skills. So the request here is really to have more skill points (under the current system.)

But these comments aren’t to defend the current skill system - which I think does create a dichotomy between a sandbox and RPG realms. It’s clear that the game is more sandbox and less RPG.

13 Likes

Also what would be a cool concept would be a relic Made of creature trophies that also break down.

Wildstock-> be a mountain.
Spitter -> sniper eye
Roadrunner-> hyper speed
Hopper-> explode your enemies away when they touch
Cutletrunk -> low gravity.

2 Likes

Also i would like to add to this that its good we have various skills. Cause many players are +500 levels and theres many skill points they havent used

1 Like

Agree with the different builds but most builds utilize the same skills. If at the end skill prizes go up, don’t mind that. But it would be nice if they became “core” skills.

Durability epic for example i have it active in all my skill pages.

Warp skills, hunter, miner, lumberjack and gatherer need it for the exo’s

Atmosphere protection every build needs it from t4 and up. You can eat food but buffs cancel each other out.

For those if they own a shop and have the tax epic every page needs it of you want the lower taxes.

But removing skills to add a “core” skill page should also make now available skills a little more costly. So the game doesn’t becomes to easy.

1 Like

I do think this is something to consider, but if you make it so that a player has to level more than three times to get a skill (like we do now to get epics) I think you are going to create some real dissatisfaction. If players are complaining about grind then I doubt they are seeing it as too easy.

3 Likes

I have an issue with it currently because I am not able to make a complete skilled character. If I am working hard to specialize, I should be able to have a full character that can do X.

For example, my forger & my hunter. There are skills left on the table because I have to waste some points on core abilities. I don’t want to have to move skill point/pages everytime I want to forge something.

Edit to add: I do like the a la carte create-your-own-class ability, but I think some things shouldn’t be there. JMHO

4 Likes

Thats why it should be a thing once you hit lvl 50+.

Give the option to reset the pages.
Move those to core skills.
And gain the option to exchange skill points to core skill points.

1 Like