I don't beLEAF this should be so hard

I’m building a very large tree. You may have seen me talk about it before.

As you can see, this tree needs to be leafed. (Never mind that it also needs to be about 50% taller as well) I find this task hideously tedious, but I suspect I’m just doing it wrong.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to do this? So far I’ve mostly been dangling from a grapple, but it takes forever to put up and take down the scaffold, get the right spot, try not to die from falling, etc.

Any help would be appreciated!

16 Likes

You might wanna stop by my place on Sochaltin I, because out back is HIDDEN SANCTUARY, and it … it has a HUGE EFFIN TREE! XD

I will have to see if I can find it! Any advice on the actual placement of leaves?

2 Likes

1 Like

I usually keep a stack of dirt on me to build little over hangs to dangle from instead of full scaffolding

A handful of blocks is quick and easy to remove and if you’re already dealing with the headache of grapple chiseling/block placement… well it at least makes it a little less “controller-throwy”

1 Like

Sadly i cannot say go see my tree In sorissi…

Its kinda Hard To explain but i try.

I personally do it with airpockets… So its much like

X =foliage
1=airpocket

X1X1X1X1X

basically filling the whole thing with This pattern.

1X1
X1X
1X1
X1X

I use that pattern usually. It takes time To take used to but When you get it you fill stuff In no time. It Also is great cause it Also leaves the tree somewhat visible from the outside.
Also ye… You can do platform For yourself but i use grapple usually To place foliage

1 Like

Since we still don’t have the option [F] to fly within our beacons …
… the only answer I can think of is scaffolding, scaffolding, lots of scaffolding.
Your tree is looking great though :+1:
Keep on :boundless: building :boundless:

2 Likes

The amount of platforms i have build to avoid having to hang around :wink:
Yes it is tedious but saves on grapple fails :wink:

That said for the variation in the leafs it would be a small platform (in my case) and still a lot of hanging around (so i can check my progress without being visually hindered).

haven’t done leafs yet on a large scale like at the new dk hub (on the back burner for now). But did have a project with a lot of hanging around (building a platform would have hindered the view while checking my progress) which wasn’t any fun :wink:.

@Buugi i will put that in my files :wink:

2 Likes

I would scaffold under any large swathes you need to do to the limit of your block placement, a block or two under for horizontal and a lot more for vertical.

So, a couple of examples (all numbers are blocks not plots) are either:

1. Horizontal 8x16 - Scaffold one or two blocks below, in a line, then strafe along the scaffold, filling leafs toward you.
  2. Vertical 20x20 - jump up from the scaffold to the upper limit of the 20, and block down to the scaffold. Then place scaffold beneath the bottom row, and repeat, then fill in the 2 block space that you’re in.
1 Like

Hard to not say something obvious, but you need to make it look random. At the end of the day, you shouldn’t be able to see the shape of your rooms inside the foliage, and you don’t want it to like a giant cube or sphere. But you’re also putting yourself in a complicated situation there, with the sheer size of that build, because you can already see the repeating pattern of the leave blocks.

So I’d suggest breaking that by also varying slightly the colors of leaves you use, randomly, and to put lots of starberries on the underside.
You’ll have to try to make separate blocks of foliage connected to the bigger mass with maybe wodden beams/fences the same color as the trunk.

Maybe you could also try to hide gleam under leaves. I believe that would allow you to tint the leaves, make them glow.

Edit : also, I’d alternate between Exotic and Waxy foliage. If it’s the same color, it will break the repeating pattern quite well.

Good luck.

2 Likes

build a massive dirt plateau under it you thank me later lol

1 Like

I had tried doing colors in clusters like the redwood biome, but I really wasn’t happy with it. Doing it randomly sounds really good.

Oh, that’s awesome, just pop in with a change chisel and alternate the texture a bit! Nice!

Cool, this will also be awesome for breaking up the repeating pattern issue. I’ll have to try it out a bit, thanks!

Votes for dangle technique

Votes for platform scaffolding

Not sure:

Well, I’m going to try out floor scaffolding rather than dangle scaffolding, since there are a bunch of suggestions for that, thanks everyone! You’re all amazing people!

2 Likes

Eitherway, if you work on stuff that’s at various heights, on the scale of what you showed us, you’re gonna need something like trampoline scaffoldings to avoid fall damage at all times and/or you need all the skill points in fall protection.

you on today?

can demo my technique for super quick walls, etc

I’ve always used grapple, combined with having a plan in mind for foliage so I can build my way upwards.

I suggest building your foliage as “bubbles” so they look more (3D) and can also have rooms hidden inside them. They’re also easier to build this way. Bonsai looking foliage (spheres of foliage) is easier at large scale than a billion tiny cubes.

You know how to use creep to build floors right?

There should be a better way. Of course, on creative worlds you can fly.

1 Like