I don't think this is supposed to happen

2 Likes

Looks like a partially unlocked Atlas. You have you go east to unlock the area where you are currently at.

Unless there is something else in that picture?

7 Likes

The reason rumply knows you need to head east is because up at the top center of your screen it says you are West of ??? meaning you are west of the central point of the region that you need to find to unlock the region…

When you get to this location it will then unlock the region on your atlas aswell…

3 Likes

@james this question comes up A LOT. Might be nifty to have one of those fancy help text things on the left explain why the area isn’t revealed if you’re in an unrevealed area and have the atlas focused like that.

3 Likes

It would be nice to have some sort of prefab at the center point of regions to look for, as a control in the orientation sport.

A floating orb or something to interact with to unlock the region and get some rewards…

3 Likes

or maybe a faint fog or transparent wall (like beacon plots) in the discoverable zone…
I can say many times I have been trying to find this border, it would be nice to be able to see where it is when you’re looking in the world and it is not discovered…
It would help new players understand thats where they would need to go… there would have to be a tooltip when you are holding an atlas with undiscovered regions that says something like:
“Look for the (possibly coloured, maybe according to the atmosphere colour) fog to discover new regions!”

I think a kind of fog would look and feel most natural. But maybe just when you get close… I imagine it might look weird from afar. but I guess that would be if it’s visible all the time. Maybe just have the fog tied to the atlas so when you are not holding an atlas, the world looks the way it does now with no “atlas fog”

Creating a new character made me think of what a new person sees and thinks. It also reminded me of military boot camp and officer training. Especially with folks from cities, most have no clue about land navigation. In life they always had people point the way and nowadays GPS telling them where to go. So, I was thinking when looking at the “East of ?” that most likely have no clue what that means to do. Somewhere in the tutorial it might be good to have a little objective for exploration letting folks know if they go the opposite direction listed (the back azimuth) they will discover a new area. Once they discover a new area a message could pop up letting them know that once they make an atlas the areas they have discovered will appear on the atlas. Now they will also feel they are accomplishing something that could be useful once they get to make an atlas (and gives them atlases as something to look forward to).

3 Likes