I think I have come up with a Builder Skill for you Dev's

Hello Boundless Dev’s and fellow Oort’s

As I have been building a lot in the world since I join this wonderful game little over a month and 171 hours ago. I was thinking of a skill a master builder could unlock. As a builder is very hard to build up high or big projects cause you are always switch weapons and need both hands but you need a grapple as well in one of your hands. When doing this sometimes you fall really far to your death or close to it. What I am suggesting is a high skilled builder or master builder would unlock a skill so they can make a grapple back pack or connect a grapple they have to something so it is locks in one place and leaves you able to use both your hands to switch tools all you want with out the worry of falling down.

It is every very hard to place or destroy blocks when using a grapple cause you swing all over the place. If the builder class had a way to help them out in this department the world of boundless would look much better with builds and you would help save a life.

Thanks for your time and for this wonderful game
30nstillgaming

14 Likes

Cool idea! Another option could be some sort of flying skill that’s limited to your plots… but I’m sure that could be exploited / hacked in some way so your idea sounds safer lol

3 Likes

Awesome idea, I have been thinking about that a while back but the thought kinda went away :smiley:

2 Likes

In your settings you can set only 1 hand to spin on mouse wheel, it’s really handy for having a grapple permanently in one hand and only spin through different tools in the other.

But I totally agree some sort of locked spot for a grapple, like a carabiner in rock climbing would be amazing.

4 Likes

Please yes, I agree fully! I just go through making huge pillars instead of the grappling although it is more time consuming and tools consuming.

2 Likes

Thats what I do and it works great!

1 Like

I will have to do this. Thanks for that.

3 Likes

I would greatly appreciate this if we could just strap on some wings, and even if they only worked in our plots or something like has been suggested.

1 Like

Based on the way you’re hanging off the side of large builds a lot, maybe a skill that gives you a chance to not take fall damage?

(But if you come back to find an army of trampolines under Mount Oortmore, you’ll know it was me :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

This is a pretty cool idea, I wonder if @olliepurkiss or @luke-turbulenz have seen this yet :wink:

3 Likes

Aye! When we were reviewing grapples we talked about having two independent hands for mining / placing and a tether on the character. But for technical and gameplay reasons we decided that it wasn’t the right path to go down.

We are however considering some alternative methods to get to those hard to reach areas, like the ones already mentioned in the discussion.

7 Likes

I have an idea. A gem-based plot customisation system.
You would craft something very expensive, I don’t know, a “-gem- Plot Power Pack” or something. It’s made, obviously, out of one type of gem, and a lot of them, and you would put it onto a beacon. This would have several different effects.
First off, the beacon would change the actual beacon colour to be the gem’s, in-game and on the map. It would put wings of the gem in the beacon, for you to take, only once per beacon. They have infinite durability. You can request more at the beacon, but other players cannot get them in any way. They are only for you. You also get a Gem-Coloured Beacon Plotter (the blue one) that is shiny and looks like it’s made of gem. You could, with this, affect your plots to let you fly in them, giving you, well, flying in that beacon plot. You could fly there, and anyone with the new “Wing Permission” could too. This would allow for “secret” areas to fly to and from, and would allow players with a favourite gem to express themselves further.

2 Likes

I use the same method grapple set not to rotate in one hand works very well. Only fell in lava once in 3 month and 806 hr’r
of playing this game I love.

3 Likes

I really like this Idea. My mind is bursting with ideas right now, about all the cool stuff you could built with that feature.
Vertical Cites, Fly Puzzles/ Challenges, the ability to work upside down with hanging from a grapple, to name a few.
For the permissions we would need an ALL button, beside the selection of friends and alts, for builds centered around flying.

2 Likes

OMG Anti-gravity themed floating city, OMG this needs to be a thing In-Game

1 Like

Yes. I had additional ideas - you equip the gem colour, so you can change it all swiftly later, changing everything on your person (if you build multiple gem packs) and they would also change your totem recipe to make gem-coloured totems - a purely cosmetic change. If you drop it, it becomes a normal totem.