I think the drop rate for sap/bark is bugged. My test on luck

I did some testing over a couple of weeks with my lumberjack toon and this is the following results.

On Biitula, T3 planet:
With a Luck 5 toon and cutting through 700 trunks (in order to get a decent sample size)

• 15% drop rate for sap
  • 6% drop rate for bark

I eventually progressed to luck 7. After cutting through 1,000 trunks:

• 20% drop rate for sap
  • 6% drop rate on bark

On Trior, Level 1 planet with luck 5 toon and 400 trunks

• drop rate for sap is 19%
  • no drop rate on bark since they don’t drop on T2 or below.

Conclusion:

Even after boosting luck from 5 to 7, my drop rate on Bark stayed the same. Shouldn’t it have increased just like the sap drop rate?

Drop rate for sap is higher on a t1 world than a T3 world even with the same luck level. 19% vs 15%. That’s a weird inverse relationship. Is there a bug?

I do not have the Gathering epic.

Edit 10/15/2018: I’m calling it now. After chopping down 5K trunks, I’m 99% confident that max luck will yield a ~20% drop rate for sap and 7% for bark on a T3 world. No gathering epic.

1 Like

Bigger sample size needed imo. These drops are as rng as using the forge. Ive had outings where i get sap every other trunk and come back with half as much sap as I got trunks. Other times ill come back with a much lower sap return, i havent looked specifically but probably in the 10-15% range. Next time i have a moment to spend hacking trees, ill document it as well. Havent played as much over the last week but things have settled down so i can do more nerd tests.

2 Likes

I’ll add my numbers in future too. I’ve thought Bark was scarce since 1.0 too so some data would be good.

I mean if 700 and 1000 trunks isn’t enough of a sample size, then I don’t know what to say. I can only grind so much :slight_smile:

But yeah, if people are willing to spreadsheet this stuff and share the data that would be great. I’ll be sure to post my spreadsheet when I get a chance.

Yea completely agree. Resource gathering is the grind of grinds no doubt. Im planning to take an hour or two to grind trunks and give you some more info to work with. Definitely isnt on any one person to try to figure this out. Thats what i meant with bigger sample size.

Unfortunately it’s probably closer to 10k, since your results are probably within the margin of error either way (and we’re looking for potentially pretty small % differences). I suck at the math behind that (power determination, etc)

True. Margin of error and sample size does need to be pretty big.

If anyone wants to test bark/sap drop rate on T4/T5 planets, feel free to do so. A couple people have said on Discord and forum that the higher of a planet you’re on, the higher the drop rate. My limited testing on higher Tier planets have said otherwise but I can’t completely refute it either due to small sample size. There is alot of misinformation given about the game mechanics that I’d rather just test things on my own.

2 Likes

I can chip my own data in here since I was just doing this last night. On Besivrona (T5), I cut down 426 Trunks, got 112 Sap and 30 Bark. Character has 7 Luck and Gathering Epic.

Sap Drop Rate: 26.2%
Bark Drop Rate: 7%

As i said before. I like your brain.

I’m already spoken for :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I didn’t crunch the numbers, but out of 975 trunk I left with 225 sap and 80 bark with Max luck and 4/5 all atribute bonus(leftover from the bomb days :joy:). In about twenty minutes of logging on biitula last night.

1 Like

Quick Update:

I chopped with an AoE axe the other day on a T3 world. I chopped a little over 3,000 trunks. Got roughly 550 sap and 225 bark. That’s roughly 18% drop rate for sap and 7% drop rate for bark. With luck 8 now. No attributes.

3 Likes

Does seem rather low…

Does it matter what planet you are on? I got my first bark, was surprised. Now, new to the game so not expecting to get any, but was on a t3 rugged coal planet.
Different question, but what is a AoE axe? I have just a regular ole copper axe that I made myself. Just reached level 19 yeah! LOL

I’m back with my final experiment run on bark and sap. I escalated from a T3 planet to a T5 planet. My results;

Chopped 4522 trunks.

• 30% drop rate on Sap (that’s a 33% increase from a T3 world which hovered around ~20%)
  • 7% drop rate on Bark (no change at all from a T3 world)

I find it odd that sap will increase but bark won’t. Do we think there should be a change in bark drop rate as you escalate to a higher planet?

1 Like

Try a T6 world. I found there the bark drop rate gone up quite an amount, about 100% more, i think. That or i was very very lucky. My sample size for this is not large enough at this time.

1 Like

I haven’t done much chopping in well over a month but the results you’re posting are similar to what I was getting in t6.

25-30% overall sap
10-12% overall bark

Last I looked we had close to 30k trunks from alcyon I think.

I would get it, almost every trunk on shedu with max luck.

This was my experience too - ~70 per 1000 trunks. Meant to come back to this but forgot, thanks for bumping.

I would expect it to increase on higher worlds too. Never tried T6 though; perhaps it’s not linear and it does eventually get a bump?

Edit: Ah, read next post now. :slight_smile: