I wonder how well Boundless will run on the Steam Deck

We should know in about 5 months, or sooner if valve or a gaming site can demo it.

8 Likes

They are advertising Cyberpunk 2077 and other AAA titles for it, so I think it should do well. Hopefully we get some benchmarks before it’s time to actually pay for them, though.

2 Likes

Advertising Cyberpunk can’t be good lol

1 Like

Lol, the pc version on a good rig is much less terrible :upside_down_face:

I found better info, though. I guess it’s around the power of xbox one / ps4, so it should run Boundless at least reasonably well.

“For the total APU combined power, it’s about two teraflops,” Griffais said, “which should let people play the games that they have in their library without issues at 720p and provides lots of horsepower to that effect.”

On paper, two teraflops puts the Steam Deck in the ballpark of the Xbox One and PS4. In practice, however, it’s actually more impressive than that. Since it targets a 720p resolution – more than enough for its 7-inch screen – it’s able to play current PC games at medium to high settings with smooth framerates. While I wasn’t able to run benchmark tests during my hands-on time, I played Death Stranding, Doom Eternal, Control, and several others, all of which looked great and played smoothly.

2 Likes

This is the first handheld that I’m licking my lips. Got burned on that PS junk we are about to shoot giggle

Z

PS
We going straight for the $699 model

3 Likes

Due to shortage of certain items I see more like 8 to 12 months.

Z :rabbit:

1 Like

For a handheld, it’s a beast. I started digging on information waiting to hear from my friends in China and Japan come back with.

2 Likes

They are saying they expect to start rolling them out in December, so I would expect media to get their hands on them in just a couple months.

1 Like

Media didn’t have a PS4 until almost the deadline. I’m not holding hope. I’ll see what my friends say in a few hours.

1 Like

Want the best information look at China and Japan. 90% sources are in English.

Great thing I learn marrying my ex lol

I’ll just stick with my PC desktop and laptop

3 Likes

My dream laptop is 600 more then this bad boy lol

1 Like

is the steam deck waterproof? can I play boundless on a lazy sunday bath-time morning or a semi- inebriated saturday afternoon in the pool (I don’t have one though could buy a paddling pool…)?

interesting move by steam.
personally, I bought a swtich about three years ago and still hardly played it so will probably hold off on this one, but still looks like a darn cool device.
Hmmm…just seen there is a steam link app for android…might try playing about with that on my samsung tablet…

1 Like

I got Boundless to run decently on a complete potato laptop, so thinking it should be ok here, I hope. Some other games I’d like to play though wondering about. However, going to go ahead and put down my $5 later today… I love the looks of this, but even if I end up not wanting it, can always sell. Lot of nice possibilities I’m reading, like all the other stuff it may be able to run, plus, with the dock, can have a very simple way to play PC games on the TV with a controller.

Hopefully there is a simpler toggle than currently for going into offline mode on Steam, or it just does it automatically if no signal rather than selecting and restarting. So while on the go, might use it for a little Boundless in a hotspot, but then while in the car play something not requiring a connection.

3 Likes

My set up is shocking and it runs Boundless fine - so hopefully it can handle it.

2 Likes

The Steam Deck run (GNU/Linux-based) Steam OS . I have never successfully gotten Boundless to run on Linux under Proton (Steam Play). In a previous life I spent some time working with Valve on game portability issues, so I don’t claim this lightly. Whatever it’s doing, it hangs during startup and I suspect something in the networking stack is involved but I’m hacking-sober and don’t do that stuff any more. At least, without money changing hands.

Works fine for me with proton :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Boundless runs pretty well on a dell work laptop with a geforce-mx150 with a i7-9850H but the fans on it spin up like crazy. not a potato though but also not a gaming laptop.

1 Like

What host OS are you running?

1 Like

All I thought was playing Boundless when me saw it

1 Like