I'm Fairly Certain What Has Happened

Having followed this game from early on in early access as a founder and watched all the ebbs and flows associated with it, I’m now fairly certain what happened with Boundless… and Crowfall, and their own actual video games.

Before I begin, I would like to sincerely thank @jon-eric for his efforts in keeping the game running and at least engaging with the community to some extent. You are truly a diamond in the rough, sir.

Monumental likely had aspirations of being a true game company and/or publisher and, as Monty has said in the past, were buying up games that “had good bones” so they could invest in them and re-release with marketing and updates behind them. I also remember Monty saying a long time ago that Monumental had “very deep pockets” in terms of investment dollars.

You put all this together, and what we’ve seen of all of their actual video games (not the simplistic and braindead casino/click/puzzle browser games they now have under Kongregate and Games Circus), and it’s clear: pressure from investors to show profitability caught up to them before they could realize their dream of becoming a full-fledged game studio/publisher and so they’ve decided the most profitable path forward is to focus solely on casino/click/puzzle browser games because they cost next to nothing to make and maintain but yet turn a profit for them.

Crowfall, Boundless, Mythguard, and the other 1-2 actual video games they acquired are all completely shelved, with no plans to do anything with them other than keep the lights on for Boundless at least as it’s likely dirt cheap to do so.

If you want to support a studio that only puts out games like this trash:

Then by all means keep doing so but, if like me, you want to reward actual game studios with your $$$, I highly recommend shelving Boundless just as they did themselves and picking up any number of games from the vast array of survivalcrafts that now exist:

Aloft
Astroneer
Dune: Awakening (they have refocused the game on PvE)
Empyrion: Galactic Survival
Enshrouded
Fallout 76
Grounded 1 and 2
Icarus
Minecraft (with mods you prefer)
No Man’s Sky
Palia
Pax Dei
Rising World
Runescape: Dragonwilds
Soulmask
Subnautica 1 and 2
The Last Caretaker
The Planet Crafter
Valheim (1.0 now out)
Windrose

All of the above are survivalcrafts to varying degrees that scratch some or all of the “itch” that Boundless does. And if you’re willing to expand things a bit, there are many others that are also similar but with other main aspects brought in such as Satisfactory, Star Rupture, Foundry, V Rising, Palworld, and the Ark games. I have played every single one of the above games except for Aloft, Astroneer, and Windrose so, if you have any questions about any of them, ask away.

Anyway, call me jaded. Tell me to mind my own business or ask me “if you don’t like the game, why are you here”. I don’t care. This has been a public service announcement.

1 Like

Out of all the games you listed, not a single one is a live service MMO in a persistent universe which has always been the main draw of the game for me.

I’ve stopped speculating what has happened as no one has any idea and I’ve just moved on.

3 Likes

Awesome, got a list of games to try :slight_smile: . Thank you!
ps. Already tried / played / playing some of them

Kind regards,

I tried a number of them and though I liked some of them enough, none of them got close to Boundless for me :man_shrugging:
To each their own - dropping Boundless is not an option for me. It works just fine and is one of only 2 games I’ve played for years consistently (and continue to do so).

4 Likes

Why drop a game I enjoy, if it’s functional and still running? I play other games already. I don’t need a list of games to try out. Why don’t YOU go and play whatever games YOU want and stop posting the same negative drivel/speculation on here. I honestly think some of the people that try to convince us how bad the game is are more obsessed with the game than the most devoted of us are.

6 Likes

My issues…

1 Like

Not sure I understand. Many of them actually are. Pax Dei, Dune: Awakening, Palia are all persistent universes, live service, and MMO or MMO-lite, among others.

You could be correct in regards to what happened between Monumental buying and now. Without them actually saying though, it is all just guessing. I just accept they are currently keeping the lights on and one day, it will be no more. I play because very few games allow you to focus on building and crafting without having to fight, or requiring parkour type jumping to progress, but you can buy from others who are not limited* the way I happen to be. Minecraft feels very lonely when you go back to it after Boundless, I can’t just go for a run around and marvel at the work of others when it’s my own world, and having lost earlier versions of my builds in Minecraft updates it’s hard to want to invest time there again.

That is why I still play Boundless. I love the game, have been here since a couple of days after release and I’ve got well over 7,000 hours in the game, and there is still more I want to do.

*Disabled owing in part to exiting a car via the windscreen many years ago, muscular spasms makes it hard to reliably aim correctly, not an issue if it takes me two or three hits to hit a desert sword or place a block on a placid world. Rules out any game that needs me to fight to progress or jump from platform to platform to complete a stage when I can’t even use the grapple in Boundless very well. :slight_smile:

4 Likes