Increased Water Transparency & Visibility

This mod both increases your circle of visibility in water and reduces the opacity of the surface reflections. No more tin foil lakes!

Screenshot of “pretty transparent”:

Screenshot of “really transparent”:

+====================+

Choose your flavour:
Pretty Transparent (download)
or
Really Transparent (download)

+====================+

12 Likes

Damn, I thought the game engine wasn’t built to have water transparent like that.
Are there any down-sides?

Doesnt work anymore, sadly. Made my screen all White.

yea not working xD

Awwwwh. :’(

And they said they were gonna support modding =(

Just means the mod isn’t updated for its intended purpose. The game isn’t the same version as it was back in January when this thread was made.

1 Like

Ah, well then i hope its just a change to the mod code that needs to be updated
I was really excited to use this!

It’s the same cr@p in World of Warcraft. People make mods, and they get deprecated pretty much after every major patch, so you have to wait for them to update them.

My biggest concern here is that water looks objectively wrong in Boundless, almost like a mirror, and I don’t get why the devs haven’t made at least an option to have it be transparent like this. I thought it couldn’t be like in this mod because of technical reasons, but if someone managed to change the files like that…

1 Like

Like a food or forged effect that grants a buff “polarized vision - decreased reflections on water’s surface, also allows lava and waterfalls to become semi transparent”

Or just polarized sunglasses we make out of 2 dark glass, 3 iron bars, 2 nails, and 2 glue. That could grant the same effect, but also give your character “cool shades”.

3 Likes

Id pay money to get transparent sidewalls on water. I thought i remember a post from last year (2018) stating that it was not possible. Or perhaps that it messed up other things to implement it? Does anybody recall the reason that water up against glass cant be transparent?

1 Like

Nice mod. Would be GREAT if it could somehow give us transparent water on sides/walls. Come on modders i believe in you.

My understanding is that if they make the glass transparent on the sides then they can’t do the distance fog underwater so it would end up looking the same as above the waterline, personally I would rather have that than the current set up.

2 Likes

Updated! (finally :p)

or

Go get 'em!

2 Likes

I’m currently working on a revision of v2 to make it less jarring. Something between functionally helpful for finding submerged things and aesthetically pleasing. “Really Transparent” will be more on the functional side of things. I’ll post the new stuff when I have it!

2 Likes

And water against windows. Squib is sad.

1 Like

That’s one of the things I’m working on, actually. Looks promising.

New version! Much better looking than v2 and sorted out water opacity when it’s next to submerged glass such as underwater glass tunnels! Also fixed the opacity of angled/flowing water so that it matches the opacity of level source blocks.

Pretty Transparent screenshot

Really Transparent screenshot

+====================+
or
+====================+

Happy fishing!

Edit: Changed the Really Transparent link from v3 to v3.1! Now it’s really really transparent :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit2: Added screenshots for comparison!

4 Likes

Uummmm… fishing :fishing_pole_and_fish:??? :scream:

Can we get some screenies to compare please?

1 Like