Integrating creative bridges and portal hubs

Well, I can’t see any other way to simplify the process without asking for dev-time to make a change here or there. If it’s non-urgent, I guess it wouldn’t be so bad to wait for a post-release update to get this kind of thing implemented

I wonder if they could add ‘clickable’ (how would you interact with those on a controller?) psuedo-links into a pm/mailbox message. Then you could essentially “share” a link to a creative token to another user via PM (Especially if you could click on it from your list and enter the user to share it with, generating a pre-formatted message/link for you).

At least it could be entirely asynchronous that way, although I can imagine people wanting other chat-based reforms first as it still feels a little clunky sometimes.

feeling specifically called out since you quoted me, I will address this.

If a player is going to be playing only in creative then a bridge is really not necessary at all anymore. With the ability to create a creative to creative network (which was not part of the original release), once a player is in creative they likely will be able to move about the creative universe without now having to go back and forth to the survival one. For a player that does not want to be in the survival universe, they may find a bridge to be totally unnecessary. If they need to get to the survival universe they can warp to wherever they entered from which is free. So I stand by my past statements, but these are not the players I was speaking of since I do not see why they need a bridge anyway.

For a player that is sponsoring a contest (building or pixel art) on a creative planet, I would think a bridge would make some sense as it provides a link to the spot where the contest will be held for both the contestants and any spectators. I can see where a contest on a creative planet might be good since every participant will have access to all the same materials and tools.

For players that are playing in a mix of survival and creative they may or may not need or want a bridge. With the change allowing a creative to creative network there is no need to move back and forth between the universes in order to get to another creative planet. If a portal does not exist, you can always warp for free. Personally, if my creative planet is not in orbit around the planet where my survival home base is, then I probably do not need a bridge anyway. I will need to warp to my creative planet (which is free) in order to get there. Putting bridge a few planets away does not offer anything for the creative planet owner. It will be quicker to warp than to travel through the portal networks every time. And based on my testing, if I use a warp to enter the creative side, I have to use a warp to get back, so any bridge in this case is useless to me.

If my creative planet happens to spawn around my home base planet, then without some incentive, I would put the bridge at my home base. The creative bridges are different than portals because with a portal I still get footfall from the players as they exit from a hub to my base, store, build, or whatever I have at the end of my portal. With a bridge the only footfall is from the survival side. So if I am also playing in the survival universe where coin matters, why would I not want to find a solution where I get some benefit from players coming from the survival universe to a planet I am paying for? My solution does that so I stand by that.

This is true and my setup provides footfall for the hub owner and the players that are paying for the planets. Is that not a win-win?

2 Likes

Why think so difficult when all could continue like it is now: Network owners will build own hubs to planets if they are allowed to build. If people don’t grant permission for gate maybe they don’t want to be found so easily :smiley:

I think, regardless of testing, we are dealing with so many unknowns, until things go live, we just don’t know how things are really going to work. However, since I have started playing Boundless I have met some of the most creative and helpful people (even if they do seem to have a penchant for debate) I have ever had the pleasure of seeing in a game and on forums. With that in mind, I think there will be no easy solutions until the update is live and we all have a chance to see how these things will work together in an actual hub setting. I cannot help but to have faith that the minds that collectively came up with malls, portal networks, hubs and so much more will also be able to find creative solutions to the creative world problems.