Interesting Washington Post article - Are video games art?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/video-games/are-video-games-art-makers-of-dreams-no-mans-sky-and-concrete-genie/

Thought this worth sharing, very interesting read. They interviewed three developers including Sean Murray (No Man’s Sky) to get their feedback on this.

To me there is no question, and replied like this to Sean’s tweet about it - that not only are devs creating art, WE are as well. Look how big virtual photography/gametography is these days, how many of us take and share screenshots. And in games like NMS and Boundless, there is obviously the creation aspect, which to me is absolutely art - I defy anybody to tell me that the creations of players like @Apt and @georgegroeg aren’t art. :smiley: And VERY VERY good art, IMO!

My opinion is closest to this dev’s quote, then-

Ettouney : Absolutely. Without hesitation.
The same questions are asked with every new medium. When oil painting was invented, it was questioned because the previous mediums were fresco. When they started using lenses and prisms and things to transfer imagery in the 17th century, that was scrutinized. People will always use whatever means and whatever techniques they can to recycle tradition. We just find new mediums to turn them over and over and in doing that, we assemble things in slightly different ways. Definitely games are now in the heart or in the core of this generation in this era because it combines all mediums — animation, visuals, music, sound, storytelling, filmmaking and interactive design. So, absolutely, games at the moment are not only an art but it is the art of this era.

4 Likes

Good read. And thank you. :slight_smile::beers:

1 Like

aww, thank you!

1 Like

I especially like when they said "“Absolutely, games at the moment are not only an art but It is the art of this era.” Ettouney said.”

1 Like