Introducing the new Portal Seekers website (alpha)

I’ve been working a new site for Portal Seekers in my spare time and today I’m ready to mention it to a broader audience. You can find it here:

http://www.portal-seekers.com (or http:///www.portalseekers.com which redirects to portal-seekers.com)

Please keep in mind this site is in ALPHA meaning it has a long way to go. This includes the Shopping section which is just stubbed out at this point. Also, it’s likely the larger audience won’t care too much about the four main links of the site as they’re PS-specific.

What I’d like is feedback specifically on the Planet Explorer. Right now it offers the following features:

1. Lazy-loaded so loading the data doesn’t slow down loading of the site
  2. Filter by All, Homeworld, Exo, or Active Exo planets
  3. Displays quite a bit of color information about blocks found on world (several block types like fungus are missing as of the moment)
  4. Shows whether or not a color has been verified on world
  5. Shows whether or not an exo color is new
  6. Search for colors and filter down the planet list to those planets with a partial match of what you typed
  7. Further filter color search down to just rocks, wood, or gleam
  8. Clicking on the planet name links over to Gorillastomp’s forum post about the planet

So, with that said, what features would you like to see out of the Planet Explorer? Here are some ideas:

1. Show all blocks
  2. Further options for filtering by color
  3. Show atmospheric protection needed
  4. Show planet image

Thanks!

19 Likes

This is what modern website looks like.
Its a perfect example to shows whats the standard website now day for every company :slight_smile:
Very clean, easy to read for every device. Also it has a lot of guides as well.

This is our version :sob:

Shameless self-bump here for feedback on the Planet Explorer. I have since added the following features:

1. Filters are now combined so you can search, for example, for Homeworlds (planet type filter) with White (color field filter) Gleam (block type filter)
  2. Added flower types
  3. Added column to Active Exo planets that shows whether it is the first time seeing that color of that block type
  4. Added the color codes next to the color names
  5. Improved performance of the planet explorer slightly.
3 Likes

How about including tier of planet in the farms list. Not everybody will know all 50 planets, and I would look for a T1 ash farm for bulk ash (bricks) or look for a T6 ash farm for sulfur.

1 Like

Great feedback. I’ve added it. Thanks! Give it a few minutes to roll out to the live site!

1 Like

One more about the farm list… Under listed RESOURCES, It calls out several resources and then calls out a few colors… Not sure if those colors should be there…Or if they should be identified with a material.

I think overall the site is great.

edit: upon further inspection it looks like some gleam farms got put onto the wrong list…

Great looking site, I wrote some thoughts that felt confusing or distracting to me.

• Video that is playing on background is really cool! But when I did go to Planet Explorer it did feel distracting: too much action around when I try to read information.
  • There is something confusing to me on dark scrollbar and white scrolling area. It could be something do with contrast, shadows or missing arrows.
  • Hand cursor on listing: I can’t move list up and down there when I try (works only horizontal, not vertical). I am so used to when seeing that grab cursor that it is possible to move it around (like canvas)
  • Planet explorer is missing “easy-access” planet listing. To me it is main thing to be able to fast jump to certain planet colour listing and I didn’t find drop box or index of (all permanent) planets when entering to Planet Explorer. Scrolling planets thru on order is time consuming.
  • There could be coordinates where PS hub is locating on planet.
  • There could be internal links for example for resources on farms page to eliminate scrolling.
2 Likes

This is fantastic feedback. Thanks!

I will address all of these today and bump this thread for you to review (if you want and have the time).

1 Like