Introductions

Hi! Im Len, Im making this because I dont want to be pushed out of this great comunity.
I realized with the help of Towner that I may come off as uncaring or offensive, and I dont mean to do so.
I have problems with social ques, so I often dont understand the subtle language telling me to be quiet.
I want to personally say that I dont mean to come off in this way, I am used to my personal group of friends where we constantly talk in a way I am used to,AKA: “How are you”= “Whats up fa***t”
This normally wouldnt be a problem, but my first impression of the community was that it was mostly people like me(And my friends), they take anything you throw at them and throw it back, knowing you’re joking.
So please, because I cant take social ques, please put things you want to tell me Bluntly, act like you’re taking to a computer, tell it what you want it to do, nothing more,nothing less. I try to be better, but I still have trouble.

TLDR: I don’t mean to offend, tell me what Im doing wrong Bluntly

5 Likes

Good banter is great, but yeah you need to remember people often can’t tell intentions behind someones message. Internet interactions lack the real life face-to-face intuitive facets like body language and expressiveness.

Most importantly don’t worry too much, as long as you mean no harm you can always communicate that later and, more importantly, your actions will speak louder eventually.

2 Likes

I’ll try to keep it simple, but I won’t stop myself, and know I’ll end up over complicating things.

The community feel you get out of the discord and forums in general, is due to the small player base interacting on it, and actively so, you get to easily form a mental image of the people within your head and can respond in the way you find most suitable. This by no means, mean that any social image you can construct is fully detailed, exact or valid, but it’s just something that at least everyone does to a degree, and learns to use. We only get to know so much of a person, from how much time we invest in doing so, and how open they’re to explaining it to us.

Don’t forget also that as little as we are, we’re a very varied group of individuals due to the nature of the game and how it handles itself. Most games would encapsulate us in the geographical boundaries of the servers we’re allowed to enter, and thus many of the cues we use to communicate in those cultures will hold more valid than others when used with people living in closer proximity to us. Not to forget, that Boundless brings many types of gamers interested in many or only one aspect of the game, there’s people coming for the voxel nature of it, the RPG nature or something else entirely. Last but not least, the language barriers, as much as I like to think I know English pretty well, it’s not my first language, and thus I make mistakes as any other reading other people.

Entering debatable topics trying to defend your opinions, while respecting others differing views is always hard, especially when you think your logic is correct and theirs is flawed. What has always worked best for an introvert like me, who has had to dealt with the language barriers all around me, not only with english, but with spanish and chinese. Is to try and read your own sentences, see the little things that can lead to misunderstandings. You can’t cover all your bases, but by doing so, you can at least demonstrate your good intent to the other person.

Customer service has taught me to listen and to calmly analyze not over what’s being said, but on what they’re trying to communicate. I’m not free from overstepping or getting to excited on certain topics but I think what’s best is to give a second read to what you type and what it might communicate to the other party.

TLDR: Think about what you write, and be mindful of the side reading it.

Also.
https://forum.playboundless.com/faq

2 Likes

Welcome to Boundless Len. Humor is really hard to communicate online. Good luck, don’t forget your life jacket and your paddle.

I personally try to stay away from joking insults about other people. I am not above making fun of myself. Usually add jk or lol to any humor that could be read as a serious statement.

But yeah thanks for being upfront about your concern over your behavior. We all need a people looking out for us when we screw up.

And bonus tip we all could use is if there is a problem or perceived problem between two players it is good to first confront people privately on pm to find out what’s going on rather than bringing the problem onto the forum inviting everyone in the community to get involved. Often it is a misunderstanding or poor decision that can easily be corrected. So yeah, private first, you can always take it public later if the issue is unresolved.

4 Likes