Invasion!

Do we know the spawning mechanics of mobs yet? What causes them to spawn in such droves?

A new Tower Defense mode where you have to defend your settlement from swarms. jk.

3 Likes

You may be joking, but on appropriately high tiered planets, I would love this feature. This is something that the most adventurous players would take as a personal challenge- build and defend a ground-level stronghold and defend it against the endless waves of hostile natives while exploiting the planet for its abundant and rare natural resources. The natives are bigger than you, tougher than you, and will kill you at the first chance they get.

Kinda like Avatar, except with less giant blue cat peoplā€¦ ah wait what!?

17 Likes

something to do with a portal placed above the maximum spawn height for mobs.

My guess is that the server is trying to place mobs around you when you go through that high portal, or around the exit of the portal itself, but is receiving an error that tells it that mobs canā€™t spawn there

so then it tries again and again, unaware that mobs are actually successfully spawning at ground level.

3 Likes

Maybe something to do with the portal, but I doubt itā€™s max spawn height. Iā€™ve placed portals in the 248-256 range before and never seen this.

(Iā€™ve also seen mobs spawn at 256, soā€¦)

Or a planet where mobs only spawn in hordes with a giant boss mob in the middle of it. And they are very very aggressive! Starship troopers style. :smiley:

4 Likes

There is some unintended spawn behavior in the current version, its the same issue that would have cause the large spawn in the wild hunt video last week. We did up the numbers but there is an issue that its not scaling correctly with the number of players in some cases. We are working on getting the numbers up so we can spawn more where it makes sense. It does load the servers up so we need to spend time on some optimizations to stop the servers lagging too much.

9 Likes

:open_mouth: Thatā€™s right behind my house! I wish I was there! lol (for clarity that house youā€™re looking at isnā€™t mine but itā€™s close.) :smiley:

2 Likes

Iā€™mā€¦ uhā€¦ taking another route home. o.o

11 Likes

I told you to chose food dump site carefully. Now they are all coming for the leftovers of cooked meat, berries and after the smell of dark blood from gem crafting.

3 Likes

@michaelb

There are portals high up in the sky, directly above the infamous site in Munteen.

The madness in Elop Portas started the moment myself and @Scratchnwiff opened a portal at build height (256) above the central part of the city.

The mobs also seem to be spawning in a large area around the portal, so I assume itā€™s portals causing this anomaly?

Edit; the mobs also died down when I closed the portal, and came back in droves after reopening. The portal is still open at the moment - so if people want to witness this mayhem and help us keep this invasion under control; be our guest!

6 Likes

Well Iā€™ll leave you all to figure why it happens as its a bit of an exploit at the moment. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@michaelb

A rather large exploit if you want to farm mobs for experience, though Iā€™ve since closed the portal, because it was more of a hindrance than an exploit, at least as far as building in Elop Portas goes. I couldnā€™t even access storage without being swarmed by countless mobs!

Just thought youā€™d like to be aware that from all the testing Iā€™ve done itā€™s pretty much a foregone conclusion that itā€™s that particular portal causing it in Elop Portas (Iā€™ve opened the portal and closed it 4 times now). I can only assume thatā€™s also why itā€™s happening in Munteen, as itā€™s directly below a player city there, with portals no less.

Iā€™m not sure about the spot in Solum, but maybe @oAnna can investigate?

So thats why there is so much mobs under iron island in munteen, Iā€™ll rename it to ā€˜Da Monsta Spawnaā€™

2 Likes

About solum, @PendragonTheNinja has a very high portal leading to his base, around 210 altitude.

2 Likes

Could host weekly events? Or find fun ways to channel the hordes for a running of the bulls!

7 Likes

dude SHHHH! with the way the leveling system/xp and broken (soewhat* objectives/feats/daylies are - some of us need all the XP we can get (like myself - just being a builder/miner/explorer) :stuck_out_tongue:

side note - i was there also - and i dont think anyone pulled a barney apart fromā€¦ Barney xD

2 Likes

So I am going to say that this needs to be a thing. I think that randomly there should be like a change in music (or like in breath of the wild a change in environment) to let the player know there is about to be a horde of aggressive mobs spawning. One minute you are chillaxing, the next you hear the bells of hell toll. Maybe even have a voice saying ā€œHAHAHAHA, cry havoc and let slip the dogs of warā€ and then the invasion begins. After 5 min the spawning stops and players just need to go ham. Obviously the number of spawning creatures corresponds to the number of players in the area. This would be legendary. Just something for the devs to think about, turning a bug into a mini-game event.

5 Likes

The sun fade into the clouds, the sky darken and all birds stop singingā€¦ its quiet.
You wait, knowing what to come.
Then you hear themā€¦

4 Likes

Where in Munteen are all of these creatures spawning? I want to grind. o.o