Is anyone planning on making a “material farming” sovereign?

I’m going to be getting a sovereign for diamonds and will be setting up a farm for sure. I may also get a sovereign for emeralds/amethyst as well but we’ll see.

2 Likes

might do a force respawn area

1 Like

I’ll be making regen farms for most resources on our planet :grin:

1 Like

What’s that?

the world will have certain % on resources that the world will try to spawn , like say there is 54% diamonds on a world then it will try spawn that % as much as it can.

So if I clame a huge diamond area and mine it all out it will spawn in another location where there is diamonds to keep up the %. In theory you can clame all but one of the diamond area spawns and it will be packed with them

2 Likes

Wait, does it actually work this way? I didn’t think it did but in truth I’m not 100% sure now.

If so, I may do this as well by systematically clearing out every single diamond area on my sovereign and plotting them overtly but leaving two large areas where I set up diamond farms: one private and one public and plotting around them thus having them absolutely packed with diamonds.

Have you tested this?

1 Like

I’m fairly certain this is not the case… diamonds (and all other resources) simply spawn at a fixed density anywhere on a map where the surface distance and altitude meet the requirements. That density is increased if they meet the ideal altitude or surface distances and even more so if it overlaps both ideal paramaters.

But like yourself I am not 100% certain of this, I could be wrong and would love to see any evidence to prove otherwise.

6 Likes

Don’t take this away from me James

1 Like

Some good sand colors would make for good farms…I would absolutely use those.

1 Like

I think you are right about this.

Maybe they would have set a minimum threshold for a resource but i doubt it.

The % of resources is just happening depending of how many area can promote the spawn of a resources and how dense depending of the conditions. If you plot a complete area, that % will decrease and not being relocated.

2 Likes

They talked about this in another post.

There is a part of the alagarythm that only allows a resource to be ‘so dense’. So you would maximize one area that they would spawn…but overall the planet would have less diamonds.

3 Likes

If that’s the case it’s definitely worth doing

Imagine galan but for diamond or emerald :100:

Yeah, may still be worth doing. I think it’d be a fun project.

1 Like

I’ve attempted to meet the known spawn conditions for emeralds in two places, and never had one spawn. The first was just 4 chunks, the second try was roughly 10 chunks. This included changing the surface level, and adding water mainly. There wasn’t a lot more I could do, and while there was some lave near the edges I didn’t really play with ‘sprinkling it around’.

Someone told me that they were tied to the chunk which seemed somewhat reasonable and I abandoned that project on Norkyna. The larger area was set up for over a month. I never tried to block out a corresponding area somewhere else to inhibit spawning or try and force them to ‘move’.

I have a mine on galan where I’ve removed several layers above/below in an attempt to try and increase density. I’ve mined it out several times so I know I can pull 4 smart stacks from the area but I haven’t removed another layer from it in a long time.

spoiler: it doesnt work that way.

the percentages arent targets that the resource generation tries to achieve, if you claim all the diamonds in the world and mine them out except for one small area… that one small area will still only have the same percentage of diamonds it had originally (or less (*))

(*) or less, because if you mined out all the diamond… and “didnt” mine out the other resources, then when resources are put back in with the same distribution… you end up with less diamond than you started with because at the start there were 1000 resources with say 10% diamond… and then you mined out the 100 diamond leaving 900 resources, and when it inserts say 100 resources back, only 10% of them will be diamond so now you have only 10 diamonds.

the resource-spawn areas and charateristics are computed at world generation time, so “building” your own mountain ontop of some unbeaconed land isnt going to change the way resources generate into that unbeaconed area beneath your new mountain.

16 Likes

If my sovereign has anything useful that others do not have, ie. block colours and the like, I will most certainly add them to the Nova Golda Regen Farms in the portal area at Nova Golda!

If the prices are ok I might be able in the future to get some more, ideally I would like 2 planets at least, 1 beautiful one for my new workshop/home, a bit higher level one, T4 at most, for other ideas I have and if money allows a T6/7 one, I might want to rotate the latter one each month with a new type…

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation, Luke. That does, though, shoot my project I was really excited about in the foot hah. I’ll have to figure out where I go from here.

1 Like

What this does highlight though is that its beneficial to everyone if you mine everything you come across especially the “less desirable” stuff like tech fragments. In the long run the unmined resources will accumulate and reduce availability of all the other stuff that gets mined… so its a toss up between carry capacity and sustainable mining for the future

3 Likes

Yes I don’t want one to build or live on.

1 Like