Is Boundless really more sandbox-like than Minecraft?

I’m new here, but I’ve read reviews on this game. They all seem to compare this game to Minecraft. I understand that I can mod Boundless, but can I do things without mods, such as this fully functional Sims City map with disasters and everything?

100% vanilla Minecraft. No mods or plugins. Can I do stuff like that in Boundless?

When people say “100% vanilla mc” and then drop something like this, they are relying on command blocks pretty heavily. While a command block may be “vanilla” they are not available in standard survival mode and typically require a great deal of coding knowledge to basically write or re-write parts of the game. Use of command blocks is not a good example of “sandbox” gameplay. So far, nothing has suggested that such a thing will exist for boundless. What has been discussed is things like airships, vehicles, and physics-based blocks like slide blocks that don’t exist in MC. So in terms of interaction with the environment and or other players, boundless should surpass minecraft. In terms of turning the game into an entirely different game with programming and coding options in game, I don’t think that is even planned.

8 Likes

Umm that video is an animation

1 Like

Okay the start is an animation but the rest is some really really advanced comming in the command blocks

The two are not really comparable past the ‘voxel world’ idea.
Minecraft is something everyone can host, doesn’t really have any progression apart from getting better tools (not including mods ofc)
Boundless is an mmo with a single host, so much larger population. In addition it is planned to be an RPG, with the full classes, skills, etc that comes with it.

5 Likes

I know what you’re talking about. I build challenge maps myself. I know that command blocks aren’t available in “standard” survival. But who said that everything had to be survival? Minecraft is not about accepting challenges from developers. Minecraft is, in a sense, a game engine as much as it is a game. You make your own challenges and let others play them. I guess the decision of which game is more sandbox depends heavily on what the definition of “sandbox game” is.

If Boundless is an RPG, doesn’t that mean that what role you play (RP is role playing) is pre-defined (at least as a list of choices)? Sorry, I’m new to this concept of “open world RPG”.

Honestly the class system hasn’t been implemented yet since they’ve been working on porting the whole game over to all C++ and optimizing it for the last couple months. I imagine that they will get most of the RPG elements in this year and then tweak them based on community feedback.

As you said so yourself

It is more or less lego with mechanical blocks and it is made as such. Minecraft had a focus on creative mode as in “Lets build huge cities!” “Lets make these crazy advanced things”

I personally used it for pixel art.

Though with mods, Which is what shaped minecraft. the fact that it is build with a sort of “here is a place you can play around and you can add anything you wang with mods!”

While on the other hand Boundless is an MMORPG which means that they need limitations. including balance and a sharing of space. so while you might be able to make a massive city, you wont be able to in Boundless due to the fact that you have to share the space with other people since everybody plays in the same universe.

RPG means that you have a character that you progress with throughout the game. Minecraft had no skill progression of level progression or anything other than what you wore which was purely tierbased.

So to sum it up:

Minecraft focuses on freedom of creation. Boundless focuses on the fact that it is an MMORPG, which most likely means that most towns / houses will have a practical aspect rather than an aesthetic one.

Minecraft focuses on delivering a base thing which can be made amazing by outside peoples dedication and work. Boundless will focus on a core experience that is awesome in itself with the intention of having a consistent experience.

So if you mean sandbox as in “no restrictions” no then it wont be as sandbox. But its a term that generally just means “you can decide which path to go within the limits of the game” then yeah boundless is a sandbox games. Two very good examples on MMORPG sandbox which is very focused on the RPG would be SWG and The Repopulation. Look them up :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Okay. I get it now. Sorry, this game is not for me. Please don’t hate me for being honest.

3 Likes

We don’t. Don’t worry. The only thing most of us hate is when people try to put Boundless down because it’s not enough like Minecraft.

You on the other hand just want another type of sandbox. Completely understandable.

4 Likes

Sure thing mate. i appreciate that you come and ask rather than the people who just buy it and go “OMG THERE IS NOTHIGN IN THE GAME” “MC beep clone what a freaking scam” then its just better to NOT buy it :smiley:

4 Likes

But for your thoughts about the single host: Boundless has also plans for user owned unconnected servers/worlds and support for mods, so the idea of a more free and boundless ( :wink: ) space is not totally lost :wink:

1 Like