Is chat broken?

So in game chat never seems to show up unless i hit the key to start typing.

Some times i get text appearing in the lower left corner, which is what i want, but most of the time i just get colored bubbles.

The way chat works in game i honestly have stopped using it and almost exclusively use discord to communicate with people over voice… if we talk in game its to tell people to hop on discord.

While hunting if some one says anything i have to stop what im doing hit the chat key and then read what they typed then hit enter to just close out of chat. I have honestly died too many times from trying to close chat that i have unbound the T key from chat so its just enter.

Also why doesnt chat start at the bottom where the newest text shows up? why do i have to scroll down to get to the latest?

2 Likes

Yea and on ps4 typing is slow and cumbersome i rather use voice chat on ps4 or discord

1 Like

Conversely … I rely solely on the ingame chat, and wish it could stay up but not be interacted with when required, because it’s important during hunts, or if you’re looking for answers, but would like to do something else in the meantime.

2 Likes

If you are on PC, there are “mods” available, including one that extends chat visibility.
On this post: Small UI mods
The instructions for “Longer chat message visibility” may help you, depending on your technical skill

If you are willing to install Python and run a script, this can help with that and other things.

Edit: In case this is important to someone, I view these mods as bandaids, not solutions. We still need many real improvements to chat including this.

2 Likes

I’m on PS4 and my chat doesn’t appear to be properly working either, I didn’t see a chat notification of any kind yesterday, except for one PM. Chat has always lagged horribly for me. My husband, on his own console next to me, gets chat updates near 15 minutes before I do.

Wont lie, it would be real nice for the Chat UI to not have to be scrolled down every time there is a new message and if it just stayed up and less visible until you intend on typing in said chat.

3 Likes

Cheers, @Rydralain, yeah, unfortunately python and scripting is not something I’m good with. :weary:

But seriously, thank you! :slight_smile:

[EDIT] Oh! It’s just modifying a JSON file! That’s super easy!

JSON I can get along with. :slight_smile: 50096a1020 [/EDIT]

1 Like

OMG thank you i hope this band aide is what i was looking for.

that is the default behavior in literally every chat interface out there.

1 Like

OK, the mod is easily done, and I took it down a notch from 5m on screen to 2m.

I tried altering the first value in the hope that it was the height of the box, unfortunately nothing doing. :smirk:

1 Like

If you open chat, there is an arrow up that expands chat to be taller. You can leave it like that, but exit out of chat and your passive chat history will show taller until you log out.

If that wasn’t clear, let me know and I’ll do screenshots/proper walkthrough.

Maybe we need a dedicated “Make Chat Not Suck (PC only, sorry)” walkthrough we can link to.

1 Like

Do you quit the game/turn off your console properly or do you just put the console in Rest Mode with the game still running?

I do the latter myself and after a few days eventually chat notifications will completely break and I won’t get any until fully quit and then restart the game.

I turn off my ps fully every night. Though I don’t properly shut down the game every time, I should probably start doing that. Someone I was just PMing with said their chat is having issues too so idk.

I was able to work around my issue a little bit by turning up the fade time to 120 in addition to setting the show time 300 for chat.

this way at least chat stays up longer than previous.

2 Likes

Oh, yeah, I know about that ( :slightly_smiling_face: ) , but thanks for thinking of me there!

I was talking about the thing about keeping it on screen once “exited” … it’d be cool to have the tall version there …

I’ll play with it over time, thanks, though. :slight_smile:

heh … my fade time was set at 4s!!!