Is concrete pointless..?

Completely disagree with it.

Everything should hit the fun quota ten times over. Not everything does.

But fun and grind are subjective things. So… :man_shrugging:

Not anymore. You can now melt ice in the furnace.

Which requires some thing you get from, I believe, 4+ caves. Maybe it’s 3+.

Again, why can’t I just use a bucket?

Just because something is hard/less easy to create, doesn’t make it pointless.

3 Likes

I don’t think you understand how much effort goes into being able to make a decent amount of concrete through mass crafts. It literately takes dozens of hours to setup the farms necessary to grow the Kindling seeds and crops, time to harvest and replant, crafting times involved which varies depending if you’re crafting sand to a desired color, and then actually crafting the concrete itself.

All while ignoring how much time it takes to gather the original Kindling Kernals you need to make the farm in addition to the Combustion farms needed if you’re crafting Sand or Gravel.

It’s a massive time investment to setup and then also manage just to craft a single item. I don’t think he’s claiming it’s hard. I think he’s trying to allude to the fact it’s a pretty heavy time investment into being able to self sustaining in a couple crafting mats that you’ll need to create concrete and one of them is optional depending on your desired color.

Right. This reasoning is dumb, IMO. Water should be like dirt. Effectively infinite.

Make special requirements for lava, I get that.

But basic level farming should be available to a character from creation.

2 Likes

Don’t forget you can throw ice into a furnace now and get water. Pretty basic to me now.

3 Likes

I expect resin and petrol to be used in recipes in the future and if they were picked with buckets as James mentioned his post, they would be infinite. I understand your pov and it sounds as the natural thing to expect but i think its a minimal issue really.

1 Like

It’s bright taupe from an old exo. Been waiting for something good to use it on :hugs:

When I first read the recipes I balked, I now have my kindling and combustion farms increased in size (yes, sorry, after reading the recipes I bought up all the darn kindling kernels I could find and am partly responsible why they are not available, haha) and I can crank out 1000’s of concrete on a daily basis!

I am totally fine with it now!

What I realised I missed, however, is a way to go back from sand to gravel and gravel to any of the 3 types of rock! Would open up 1 extra colour per planet for gravel and 2 extra colours per planet for rocks.

Would also have the added benefit of converting sedimentary rocks to gravel and then gravel back to metamorphic rocks, love me some marble! :smiley:

4 Likes

You can gather ice with an unforged hammer and throw it in a furnace to get placeable water now, no need for a forged tool at all anymore…

Concrete is definitely not pointless. I can’t wait to build a strip mall. Or a concrete bunker. My bunker won’t look like packed kitty litter anymore. Plus like someone said it takes 8 for a mass craft. You get that in 10-15 kindling “plants”

I don’t think it’s pointless, but I does appear to be something that a good number of people (myself included) are saying they simply wont bother with, which is a shame when it’s such a nice, clean block.

1 Like

It does seem the costs are excessive, its concrete, one of the most used building mediums IRL, yet its one of the hardest to produce in game?

1 Like

The original recipe:

AFAIK there was only one person that argued strongly against it.

4 Likes

Been looking to buy plain concrete for the last few days but can’t seem to find any. Looking for browns or other earthy colours (mustard, sepia etc) if anyone knows of a shop :smiley:

1 Like

Well name a colour of sand, gravel or rock that is available in the 50 permanent worlds and I can make you some!

I am going to open a shop soon at Nova Golda Market called Concrete Plans but it’s very much in the ehmm, planning stages :joy:

Am redoing my workshop so I can crank out more of the stuff…

29c per block when it’s made from straight up sand.
39c when it’s a gravel colour that needs to be crushed into sand
49c when the colour can only be found as a rock and needs to be turned into gravel and then sand

Patterned concrete +5c

Exo colours will be a bit more expensive on top of that…

Prices probably change over time when my farms are able to crank out more kindling (need an exo with it so I can get some more kindling kernels!).

1 Like

They sound like great prices to me, will scan the colour sheet when I get chance and see which colours I want :smiley:

Okay! Shoot me a PM once you know which ones you want!

1 Like