Is development on hiatus? Plus garden paws 😁

Is the hand to hand weapons update on hiatus for now like the player base is becoming? And off topic a little anyone play garden paws on steam? Is it any fun?

1 Like

Uh oh.

Unofficially there seems to be a pause possibly for a year or more. There’s no official word though. So officially, the last known communications were James and another dev commenting that weapons are almost ready to go, just needs a bit of tuning and it can go to testing. That was a year ago though (6 months?)

4 Likes

At this point, who even knows (which many consider to be a bigger problem)…

On the one hand like DK said, there’s been nothing regarding development officially released in a considerable length of time. When compared to how communication used to happen, there is an implication here that development is at the very least sluggish, if not on hold.

On the other hand, both Leah and MajorVex have been stepping up their moderation game recently with the use blackhole-ing things that they deem not positive enough (compared to the previous stance which would have been to just lock threads). Entertainingly, someone even seem to have hidden away the “Thoughts and feelings” thread which MajorVex previously seemed to have created specifically as a receptacle for negativity that she sifted out of other threads.

If you were of a charitable mind, you could take that as a sign that they’re looking to try and tidy up the forums, which would only really make sense if they were looking at an advertising push so more people visit, which itself would only make sense if they were getting near to being able to release new content to actually advertise… so update release confirmed Soon™?

“It’ll be ready when it’s ready”

Regards,

2 Likes

Yes, all signs point to development being on a hiatus, unfortunately.

1 Like

In before folks get told they’re stating their opinions as fasts because they didn’t add specific wording.

5 Likes

I’m getting close to going ahead and buying this one, it looks seriously cute. :slight_smile: I may just go ahead and do it, and if so, will follow up here with impressions once I get to playing it. Only two things were kind of holding me back - one, there is a Switch version coming out in a couple weeks. Since I likely won’t have my Steam Deck til very late this year at the earliest, this looks like a game that might be nice to have on the go.

Also - and this ties in to your first question - the result of not getting info on Boundless’ status in some time has led me to go ahead and jump into other stuff, so have a lot of things going on the moment with games, not sure I need to add even more to the pile right now. :sweat_smile:

Edit: I just went ahead and bought it. :slight_smile: Might get it on Switch too if I really like it.

I tried it and couldn’t get into it. A friend of mine liked it a lot and has been playing it quite some time.

In regards to the development, who knows it’s status? All we can go on is what we are given. I do know I am seeing an influx of new players and I jot names down of players I see and last night alone I saw at least 5 new players. I also ran into 2-3 returning players … some asking about guilds etc.

I have taken it upon myself to make the game enjoyable for me and try to pass that along to others.

As @bucfanpaka is doing I would suggest having a couple games to play so you don’t burn yourself out on any one game. I know this from experience and I am falling back into that same groove with Boundless.

Lastly, if the game has the update come out and it only had swords and shields would that really make people return to playing or increase the playerbase? I would highly doubt it… it’s going to come down to a marketing push, implementation of some sort of development roadmap, and a community manager or two making things happen. If anyone has played Planet Coaster or Planet Zoo… those games had incredible marketing and constant videos about the game, highlights and their community managers were just awesome. The team here could learn a thing or two from them.

2 Likes

To follow up, played for a few, and very first impressions are Garden Paws definitely appears to be a charming game, and pretty easy to play. :slight_smile:

I think if it were to take that long, we might not have too many players left at that time.

Right now, I sadly find myself unable to do much but log on, fill beacons, and close the game again.
I wish it had a higher engagement, but development inactivity would be the worst thing for an extended amount of time. I really hope it ain’t the case, despite it sounding otherwise.

It may sound a little pessimistic, but the lack of an announcement to explain what’s happening, feels like a bad omen to me. Though, that may just be past experiences in life, making me wary of such.

3 Likes

Leah’s been active?

I’m 99% sure it was Leah.

When I found the “Thoughts and Feelings” thread there was a note at the bottom saying that she’s split off posts into a black-holed topic. I think I even mentioned it in a follow up post (that also got deleted, so it’s hard to check).

Even better … is below. Some devs are around why they don’t at least say hi is beyond me.

@blake @Leahlemoncakes @vdragon @james

A little hello sometime doesn’t hurt :slight_smile:

1 Like

At this point, resetting the servers to fix the weather wouldn’t hurt. They can keep their hellos

3 Likes

@Mitgard I understand your frustration and wish I could help more. While I do have some contact with @james from time to time in PMs I seldom get much more than a few words at best and it’s been quite some time that I have had anything from him. So just FYI here are a few things I have done or am doing:

• I have tried to contact Turbulenz several times via email @ info@turbulenz.com - no response yet
  • I have tried to reach out to Larian via their forums with some minor success
  • I have 3 messages to James in regards to griefing and as you had asked about a server reset due to the weather issues
  • I have called several phone numbers (no luck yet)

There are a few other things, but I am unsure why no one will simply give me or this community something. I don’t personally need anything from the developers, but it would be nice to know that all the efforts I am trying to do lately in regards to bettering the community in all the ways I can won’t be for naught.

5 Likes

I appreciate your efforts.

2 Likes

@Mitgard Also just to clarify this is not only in response to your issue but my own efforts to get any information I can.

2 Likes

I know, It kind of has to be… right?

If it isn’t, what’s the alternative? That they’re all just sitting round, clearly browsing the forums and watching as it descends ever further? It just makes so little sense that something else has to be behind the decision.

2 Likes

I’m sure if we started posting on the larian forums they’d tell james to go make a statement about boundless just to make us go away. I don’t think we should do that though.

6 Likes

I have already posted on the Larian forums about Boundless with some minor success.

Edit: Since I have had zero response from the suggestion given to me on the Larian forums I will post another reply and see if I can get anything.

1 Like