Is footfall broken?

No, I don’t mean are you getting no footfall whatsoever on your beacon, but I’ve been trying to test and figure out when footfall resets. I know the “answer” is you get footfall every 24 hours, but is that every 24 hours with like a 6AM reset or 24 hours as in 24:00:00, 23:59:59, 23:59:58 etc. etc.

Because I’ve been trying to test with a friend to find the footfall reset but whenever his alt that he never plays walks through my plot my coin count goes from 0 to 0. Going on three days now, although I did get footfall that first day.

Or is your footfall coin box just slow to refresh? Or is footfall just glitchy in nature? It may even be somehow tied into whether or not you have ever collected coins for the first time but that’s just a theory for now that I would somehow have to test further.

But that would explain why my lava bridge that used to get 500 coins per day now only gets 80 tops unless everybody just stopped using it - unlikely because I see people on it all the time.

Does your Friend have permissions or beacons within the same Settlement?
That excludes him from generating footfall.

My Footfall has gone down by about 90% since release. But thats probably because the number of active players has gone down and the number of shops has gone up.

2 Likes

I’m curious about this as well, both in terms of your test results (and the conditions involved in the test) as well as any potential clarifications if the devs would care to chime in about how it is supposed to work, so that we can see if it’s bugged right now or working as intended.

Does your friend have a beacon in the same settlement as you’re testing?
Permissions?

I’ve heard that it was supposed to be closer to 48 hours of cooldown rather than 24, but my own testing doesn’t support that and it seems to be significantly longer than 48 hours at least for settlement members.

Edit: Characters that have no beacons (nor permissions) within the settlement seem to have a shorter cooldown but I have yet to get a conclusive result as to the exact time it takes.

I strongly suspect that when the server was reset last tuesday for a patch, when it came back online cooldown timers for footfall generation was reset for settlement members and non-members alike. It seems more likely than the timer just coinciding.

1 Like

No permissions, but this could explain why we’re getting like 1/6 of the footfall we used to

1 Like

One of my hypothesis was that the 48 hour (or whatever) timer worked as a sort of countdown and was resetting back to 48h (or whatever the actual number) whenever the testing character stepped into the beacon for testing.

So far, footfall was only generated once with the test character since tuesday’s patch, but the character does have a beacon in the same settlement. I tried once a day, roughly every 24 hours since the first time footfall was generated (shortly after the reset).

2 Likes

I have in the past tested this with characters in the same settlement and boom like clockwork every 24 hours you step on the plot 20c in the bank. And if you stepped on the plot too soon it didn’t have an impact on the next day’s 20c. But in this experiment where I was trying to nail down specifically when the reset happens I’m coming up empty handed so something has changed in the last couple weeks.

I don’t recall anything about that in patch notes. Perhaps we need some dev clarification on this issue. Perhaps we should try pinging @james :slight_smile:

2 Likes

But it’s all chump change when you can make hundreds of thousands of coins a day. I’d just like to see it fixed if it really is broken.

Interestingly, I’m using a different test character (with no permissions or beacons) as well, and that one has generated footfall in the test beacon twice. I haven’t narrowed down the actual format for the cooldown timer, but it’s either longer than 24 hours or it’s a specific time of day when it resets, that doesn’t coincide with the daily feats reset.

Edit: Twice since Tuesday when both characters generated footfall at the same time (roughly).

1 Like

Some of the characters have permissions in unrelated plots in that settlement. Going to try removing all permissions from all plots to see if that makes a difference, but in the past we had one shared plot and still got footfall in the other plots.

I wonder, are any of our footfall Giants noticing a drop in coin? Maybe from 10,000 to 2,000 or something?

I’m no giant but the drop was… not extreme, at least in my shop, it was about 3k a day for the first month or so, now it’s about 2k, with both being a bit higher on weekends, but I thought the drop was more related to the new configuration of the PS hubs now that Biitula (where I have the portal) isn’t quite as central as it once was.

I have a road from Beservona ps hub to my old base, I never thought about it and never counted, but one thing is sure, I get significantly less footfall. But I don’t know if it’s less people passing through, or mechanics change. It used to generate way over 10k every few days (as I wrote I didn’t count it exactly), but now it’s less than 10k in roughly same period. But best way is to ask PS hub owners I guess.

If you’re right about this (in the sense that the previous cooldown was working as intended and the new one is a bug, instead of the other way around), maybe ask for this topic to be moved to the support section, or make a new one there?

Still anxiously waiting for some dev response on this.

I moved it to support section. Hope you don’t mind.

Np, wanted to make sure it was a real issue before going to support and it sounds like a maybe at this point lol. I’ll keep testing on my end too.

1 Like

Ok so day 4 and still can NOT generate footfall from my friend with no permissions at one beacon, but another beacon from an alt tested afterwards does seem to be generating footfall. I don’t have the time to test every possible scenario but the bottom line is footfall is very Wonkydonkey, and some beacons appear to be cursed/only able to occasionally generate footfall but can fail x4 days in a row to generate footfall from some players. So if you think you may not be getting all your footfall you probably aren’t.

Has the testing character also crossed other beacons of the same owner as the testing beacon within the same village and the same day?

Nope, fresh login for the day and still won’t generate footfall. But then on a random other beacon it will (after crossing it)