Is Mid-game still a problem for new players?

For the record, i was a solo player who mined gems the slow way with an unforged iron hammer. I got about 80 an hour. Which works out to almost 12 mins per hammer!

Its simply outrageous anyone should have to spend that amount of time playing a game.

4 Likes

I don’t know why because I am not one of them. As I’ve stated, I prefer to play solo. I interact with others, help others now, etc…because it makes for a better gaming experience. I still solo most of the time & other players can too, if they choose to. No one says anyone needs a “group”. That is a choice.

3 Likes

Lol I remember mining before I discovered forging. It did take a while, but then you gather enough stuff to be able to make titanium equipment, and then gem. Then you start to gather more efficiently, and find/make better tools.

3 Likes

Everything you said, 100% agree
Especially this

1 Like

No, the game made Topaz one of the most plentiful & easy to get gems = low demand = low price. Titanium is easy to mine. So are diamonds and topaz. Devs gave us atlases…they are a very helpful tool to use for mining.

2 Likes

I think you’ve posted this before…

Minecraft & Boundless are two different things. MC is a super simple old school voxel. You’re on one place/plane & can dig straight down anywhere until you find diamonds, then make tools. Very very simple.

I’m glad Boundless isn’t an MC clone. That would be boring imo.

3 Likes

It is incredible the lengths to which people here fail to see solo players have no acceptable path to endgame as well as how people are willfully ignoring the reality that it is bad game design to have a gem wall in the first place.

I swear this is the Dark Souls mentality. People just gatekeeping functions within a game to boost their own ego.

To be honest, almost nonstop since PS4 release.

I have might have mined for maybe 20hours (max) for diamonds. And don’t use them.
If you don’t like to grind don’t do it.
For gems you can even solo hunt.

There should be things added to the game more options to go and do.
But there already are enough things to do.

There also should be more explanations added.
Like for forging and stuff that need more explaining.
But for the most part why?
Most new players get told to use the knowledge menu to find stuff and get craft information.
And they don’t even look at it.

I am sorry to say and it might be hard but if you choose to play solo in a multiplayer game, you choose to make it harder on your self.

At least if you play alongside with others, the grind gets less grindy.
Even veterans still have to do it from time to time.

And if you get a hand out from someone it’s just to get you started. Don’t like it give that person some of your gains.

Lol just started thinking about the bricks. The heaps i have and still need. All that gathering i did before I started buying them. Collecting 684 blocks per batch and when done one batch is 200 blocks. With the millions I already layed out and still am going to need imagine that grind.

2 Likes

Its not precise just to start one batch.

My point if you want something you have to do the work.

More information and explanations are needed.
For those that do take their time to read it.

Add more stuff to do (even That I don’t have the time for it😉).

1 Like

People aren’t doing anything to you. It makes no sense to come at other players when they aren’t they ones that created the game. You seem very upset that Boundless isn’t just like Minecraft & have stated so.

5 Likes

Atlas + item you want (diamonds for this example):

5 Likes

If experienced players show you a better way of doing things, like gathering surface resources to sell for power coils, and you choose not to take the easier path it is on you, not the devs or the other players. A lot of work has been put in to the game to make players lives simpler and cheaper, such as portal networks and centralized shops. The NPE needs some work, but there is no real wall in this game except for lack of knowledge or the walls players create by their play style they insist on.

7 Likes

What wall btw… if you want to live on higher lvl worlds sure you might need gem tools.
Mining and hunting included.
Also hunts are best done in groups but that defeats the solo play part.

But gems on lower worlds aren’t needed at all only for decoration purposes.

We aren’t ignorant at all for not seeing what your problem is but mostly baffled you don’t se the point we are trying to make.
Boundless still has room for improvement and it does with every update that comes out.

There is no point to compare boundless to Minecraft as it has a lifetime of updates and how long did it take them to get there.
Boundless is in its diapers and already has features that Minecraft can dream of.

5 Likes

yes but how do you find them the reasson alot of people dislike shoping it cuz unless you go on the forums you have no way of knowing where anything is unless you just blindly run around in a portal network till you happen to find a active shop/mall

atlest my understanding of when i hit the wall is the fact that you need gems and a decent powered forge in order to get gems myself i used to spend hours mineing back in early access pre-forge when 3x3 hammers where standard and mineing was not so bad but now to mine with a non 3x3 non gem tool is just brutal the time it takes to get 30 gems you could have gotten close to 300 with a 3x3 and when it costs upwards of 100+ gems just to get coils

the current wall was a big factor in me quitting i could not handle how long it took to get gems and i did not have the will to spend days farming mats to risk forging a single 3x3 hammer with a non powered machine that would last 4 minutes anyway so i was unable to keep up with the updates and just gave up

you need them for coils and coils in BL are everything they unlock like 60% of the buildable content if not more

2 Likes

You find them by looking, like everyone else…You don’t have to look at the forum, and at malls/markets/places there will sometimes be a group of people which indicates a shopping area, a hub, or a hunt.

(Also Capitals have shopping normally, and settlement icons can indicate an area of shopping/hubs)

4 Likes

But they already are dirt cheap now 1000c isn’t much compared with a few months ago.

1 Like

:partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face: thats how i got mine.

3 Likes

The devs gave us a GPS bar and atlases that show a lot of info. Everyone has pretty much come across an Ultima or PS hub by now. There are clearly labeled signs that state “market” or “mall” in almost every hub. The big ones have several access points and advertise a lot, pretty much everywhere. They are very easy to find.

There is no wall. You mine, you trade, or you hunt.

I’ve seen people selling them for 200-400c lately. You can earn that coin from your daily activities/rewards.

GPS bar & atlases are super handy tools…

3 Likes

So the paths that are there are not acceptable to you? Why is that?

I managed to get my first gems with unforged non-gem tools then used the buy/sell mechanic to get more WITHOUT having to interact with any scary real life human beings. I don’t understand why this is deemed unacceptable…

Even without buying and selling one can still continue on getting gems with unforged tools as well.

What alternative paths would you find acceptable? Got any ideas for it?

Dumbifying game mechanics because you think some newbies can’t handle it is done for what reason exactly? Feeling better about oneself I suspect, so boosting one’s ego then, huh? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes