Is something broke with this game/development?

amazing you the best man give my love to the team
@james @Minyi thanks for the nice game and listening to us :smile:
i cant seem to stop playing it so you doing something right
:smile:

7 Likes

I’m fairly addicted myself.
I might need 12 step program at some stage.

Damn you and bless you for creating this game.
:grin:

4 Likes

You mean after 1.0 feature?

3 Likes

Oh, what the heck.

• “I disagree with what I’ve seen heretofore” is not semantically equivalent to “something is objectively wrong with this process.”
  • Feedback does not create an obligation.
  • “Jimmy’s parents make him a pizza every day after school” in no way obligates ones parents to do the same. Different parents, different approaches. Ergo, different teams, different approaches.

I’ve seen only one red flag while watching this since 2014 (I’ve got 30+ years of professional software development experience–I’d notice) and one isn’t enough to worry about. So, to sum up my rhetorical answer to your rhetorical question: no.

13 Likes

Well said, @brook-monroe, well said. :+1:

2 Likes

@luke-turbulenz, I LOVED everything you said here in your post except for:

The description previously cited on the original Oort site where we could vote on items to be produced (which is when I backed the game) specifically said “Mechanical systems” and “power your creations and automate your claim”. Now, if this was the first voxel game ever made, sure, you could say that the current system of “putting in an order” and having the various machines work on building that order was automation. But, and this is a huge but, at the time of that particular Crafting II post in the development of the game, the voxel world was full of examples of block mechanics that actually involved making your own automated machines out of component blocks that did things that would then interact with the world.

Using minecraft as an example, you could automate draw-bridges, doors, traps, water-fountain/park-like-things, and even make your own automated cannons that you could fire using buttons/levers or that fired when people triggered them. There are people who even used the system to create gigantic functional computers that could play pong and working clocks. These are the things that i would daresay people thought of when reading “mechanical systems & fun blocks” and “power your creations and automate your claim”. I would sincerely desire to know from anybody who looked at the game in that era if they didn’t imaging building similar (but better, as all things boundless looked like they would be) types of machines seen in other games.

The precedent had clearly been set for what automation, powered creations, and mechanical systems looked like. Not sure what you’re meaning by citing the current level of “automation”. I, for one, will be sorely disappointed if you guys are seriously finished with any systems that will allow for the creation of automated features built out of the hundreds of amazing blocks boundless already has to offer and a few key mechanical components that haven’t been realized yet…

I guess, what I’m saying is that everything in your post was music to my ears! Except for the one thing that kind of sounded like an assumption that there are not many people who expect more than the automation that’s in game right now. It was shocking to read your statement on that.

Please don’t take this personally. I can’t describe how awesome the rest of your post made me feel. But, I was literally taken aback when I got the impression that there was automation in the game as far as you were concerned. You’re right, in a sense. But that automation is a far cry from being able to build a machine out of different parts that is totally custom. Could you please give any input as to whether there are plans (even if they’re far in the future like how long the redstone system came out after MCs release) to add in-game functional mechanics?

6 Likes

Which post was this so I can get familiar with it? I’m guessing it was a while ago and long time before I joined the project.

It’s not a post in the forums, it was listed as one of the mechanics that was going to be added to the game that was on the public website when it was oort. Heurazio screenclipped it here:

Apparently, I can’t quote his picture, but it’s right before this question. That is clipped right from the original Website for Oort online.

2 Likes

This is what I mean by “eye of the beholder” because it isn’t clearly outlined what that feature was at the time others have created their own version of how they think the system will work which might not have been what was originally intended by the person who wrote that on the original website.

4 Likes

I believe you. I also think that you are correct in your statement. I’m not arguing the validity of the possibility that you’re right. I just find it hard to believe that anybody who saw it, and even the original writer of it, meant anything other than being able to build machines. That being said, I don’t want to argue that point. I don’t care who’s right. I’ll even give it to you outright, you’re right Luke! XD

I would like the ability to create custom machines (like the redstone mechanics in MC, only better) in the future. That’s the last I’ll say about it. Thank you for your responses, Luke. I’m looking forward to the implementation of the other things you’ve mentioned.

5 Likes

I would too. But it might not be a 1.0 feature.

4 Likes

HOLY ■■■■ WHAT YEAR IS IT???!!

Great, now that I have your attention, I would just like to summarize my lil break from this game and how it was brought about. It does have something to do with that game itself, so lets get into it.

I’m pretty sure the last time I played this game was like, 6 months ago. I’ve been keeping tabs on its development through twitter and the like, and I’m glad to say that this game has moved forward since the last time I was on. However, in terms of popularity, it would seem that the fan base itself has grown stagnant, and new players are growing fewer and farther in between.

I stopped playing this game because there was just so little to do. Yes, there is building and some minor extent of exploration, but beyond that, there isn’t much. Players practically have to make their own fun in the game, and I’m glad that they have done so in the form of creating cities.

But this brings up a point.

While we have been getting updates on a fairly steady rate, the lack of MAJOR GAME CHANGING UPDATES hasn’t happened for months. Yes, signs and quarter blocks are cool and all, but no potential new player is going to buy the game simply because of it. Devs, you have to have bigger, more incredible updates.

Character customization, Titans, Clans, the works. You’ve gotta make Boundless what it was intended to be: An Action MMORPG game.

1 Like

Actually if you read the website, Boundless is to be a MMO sandbox and not an RPG. However, I will agree that other than building, the lack of any else to do is probably contributing to a lack of new players and to players not playing the game any longer. I would agree that if possible, releasing some of the features you mentioned would contribute to attracting new players and to keeping people playing.

4 Likes