Is there a price ingredient website

Hi

I’m 100% sure they used to be a website where it would show you the prices of ingredients used to make a certain item. So like a teaching pie, it would show you all the costs you’ve spent making the pie to determine the price of the teaching pie to make profit.
Is there such a thing now?
Just want to see if I’m making profit buying ingredients or not
Also is there a way to set it to mass crafting aswell

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Used to be a thing, dunno what state it is in now though.

btw - good to see you back :sunglasses:

1 Like

I use Shopkeeper's Price Calculator / Recipe Browser

From the amazing @Mayumichi

5 Likes

Safe to say the economy is wrecked.
That’s just the price for sweet beans nothing else is priced and still :man_facepalming:t3:

2 Likes

Things like this seem to happen when there is too much supply and not enough demand (of the final product in this case). Maybe the irony is that all the ingredients are still very much in demand.

I would think that the thing is that many crafters will also likely gather some or many of the ingredients they need rather than buying them all in, which can mean that they can afford to undercut others who don’t gather for their crafts, since they are basically valuing their time in a different way by directly gathering (or not) the things they need.

In addition to all that, volume/mass crafting does technically allow for some play in how you work out costs/final sale values, since mass crafts save up to almost 30% on material totals in most cases, when compared to non-mass crafting. I imagine that this has always caused a side-effect on material markets by incentivising huge bulk buying; in a sense, this is all about economy of scale that is actually tackled by individual players and relatively small groups of players.

I’m sure someone who’s actually into economics could think of something more coherent than me though.

4 Likes

This is how I tackle marble and bricks. For the bonding agent, for instance, I gather the sap myself but buy the bones. I also gather the fossils for ancient essence but buy trophies or eyes for fresh essence.

4 Likes

Yeah but with my O.P I only inputted sweet beans nothing else. I have everything else just sweet beans are a pain in my ### to farm.

2 Likes

I just heard that “Future of Farms” has a nice sweet bean spot.

“576 beans needed for the batch of 50 pies, it took me less than 30 minutes to get them”

5 Likes

I think the issue in this case is that people are valuing the XP generated by crafting more heavily than they are valuing coins. Sweet beans are not used for much of anything except XP food recipes. The only other recipes that use them are improved and greater beacon fuel.

That and there are not enough players to make an economy function properly.

I was planning to craft food for sale, then took a look at the tradeoff in coins and realized the ingredients were much more profitable than the crafted goods were. It isn’t just food that has this issue. Just about all crafted goods are less profitable than the ingredients used to make them.

3 Likes

So its best me selling all the ingredients for the pies ect?
such as fortified butter and so on?

1 Like

I didn’t do a scientific research but this was also my rough observation. Not very encouraging to sell the final product (for many products) when it should be especially given crafting times.

4 Likes

If you start selling ingredients I’ll prob come to you for stuff for brews there’s always that one ingredient that I end up buying buckets of fortified water Or oil or don’t have enough containers lol

2 Likes

ive got so much buckets lol, ill get on to it tonight see what i can rustle up

That has been my experience, yes. People are actually even buying wheat and oats out of my shop stands. :exploding_head: I did not think those would sell when I put them in there.

1 Like

Lamblis, or similar world with lots of desert/mud lvl 3 or higher, lots of oortian staff to farm sweet beans with.

And yes end products tend to be undervalued in the Boundless economy, since time is the most valued resource in the game, and farming items to make things takes more active time then crafting items does. To play a card (not wanting to derail a conversation) this is part of why I support craft times, the economy for end items would be even less if they were instant since now you have all the time needed to make an X Y or Z locked behind the time to get the items needed to craft them, there would be no point in selling anything else since they would be valued so much lower than the items needed to craft them… Which granted we already have to some degree, but it would be worse I don’t see how it wouldn’t be.

1 Like

Yea… not the most popular view, but this is why i think the crafting timers should increase. Make the final product more valuable. Time is money. (no one cares or even thinks about spark/heat cost. so increasing those would not do anything methinks)

3 Likes

Increasing the time only messes with people who play more than a couple hours a day. Increasing a bulk timer from two hours to ten hours still leaves me with a day per processing step as the stuff is set to cook as I log out. So it doesn’t change much on the end cost I would put on items. For building materials, people just add more machines.

Right now, I do not buy things based on time to process, collect, or craft, but rather around my prefered activities. The more activities (and their associated items) there are, the less time an individual has to do everything themselves (even if crafting time didn’t exist). So our new overlords need to drasticly increase activities and then take a look at the economy imo.

3 Likes

ah yea… i didnt think about just a rotating bunch of machines… where crafting timers dont matter if it’s just always spitting out completed items

I also found myself buying things based on activities I dont like to do. And grinding/collecting some things that I don’t mind, or enjoy just chill collecting. (like beans… i can slide around Besevrona all day long and be happy doing so, lol)

2 Likes

Grabbing spicy beans is one of my relaxing activities. Turn on some music and explore!

Time is obviously irrelevant under the current system. Why would increasing the time make it any more relevant? Unless you are suggesting they increase it by multiple orders of magnitude. Make it take months, or even years to make crafted items. Then people would probably buy them. Or quit. :roll_eyes: