Is this a bug, or am I interpreting it wrong?

Hi all,

I wonder if I’m just reading this wrong:

I can’t remember the exact wording of the death penalty (I’m not dying again just to see it either!), but I interpreted it as for the next x amount of xp EARNED you GAIN half that xp.

I died and I think the number was 7800, but the purple box (finally worked out what that was for, which led me to this) was going down really slow. I checked the numbers and once the debuff finished it looked like about 7800 had passed.

I thought that the debuff would end after I EARNED 7800 xp (GAINED 3900), but it looks as though it stopped after I GAINED 7800 (EARNED 15600)!

If this is the intention and my interpretation was wrong it feels like a pretty steep penalty, plus I think the wording could be clearer.

If it’s just getting me it wrong, then please let me know and I’ll just have to suck it up.

Apologies if my explanation of my query is confusing, I was getting confused writing it.

1 Like

This =

Essentially, you earn half the xp while the other half you have earned goes toward the debuff, so if the penalty is for 1000xp, you have to earn 2000 to pay the debt, because you’ll have received 1000 toward your next level and the penalty will have gained the other 1000. Hope this helps! Stay alive! :smiley:

1 Like

So I died again, yeah I suck.

But I paid more attention and the message states:

‘You GAIN half xp for the next 7300 xp EARNED’

And it does say earned!

To me the xp I earn is the xp given for whatever activity it is I’m doing, and then it is halved.

The wording on the message states that for the next 7300 xp earned will gain half, ie 3650 xp.

After this it should return to normal, according to the wording.

It does not, it continues for another 7300 xp earned, 3650 xp gained.

And its not a case of me be pedantic either, it is a significant difference.

Holy ■■■■ WHAT? That’s SO STEEP!

Well, maybe we can @james about the wording here. I die quite often myself, and pay off my damn near 20k debt in a day or so mining and hunting, but yes @SethLarcomb it is a bit steep and has been debated in other threads. Hopefully , some kind of better arrangement comes down the pike soon.

half goes to the xp debt, half goes to your xp bar.

Yeah, I get that, and I’m fine with that happening, I think it’s a pretty reasonable penalty concept.

But, still 7300 - 3650 to debt, 3650 xp bar, penalty over.

What is happening is 14600 - 7300 to debt, 7300 to xp bar before penalty is over.

So penalty should read:

‘You gain half xp for the next 14600 xp gained’

If that is the intention!

I agree that it is steep, I think the stated penalty would be reasonable.

Hopefully someone can give us a definitive answer on the intention and then fix wording if appropriate.

Being level 50 means you need 20,000 (40,000) to hop out of it but it’s better than 20% durability loss of everything that has durability in your inventory. Though I agree with people that say you should get to choose upon defeat what you would accept but I think exp loss is a lot better than everything you worked so hard to get being damaged :3

I agree. This can very easilly be read as paying 50% over the next 7300 xp you’re getting.

What it is in reality, is that what you ‘earn’ is 50% of normal, and that you then need to ‘earn’ 7300, so in total you’d have to get 14600 xp.

As a fair amount of other descriptions in the game, this one’s a bit ambiguous.

Is ‘earning’ after or before the 50% penalty? And you can argue for both with that description.