Is this game hard or do I just suck at this game?

Well, of course I’ve got to point you towards my shop. It’s on Solem in pixel gate. I can’t remember the exact location but I know I put it on episode four of one of my boundless videos on YouTube. You could check that real quick otherwise I’ll have to check later when I get home, I’m driving right now using voice to text.

2 Likes

Cool, I saw some of your videos, actually what I referenced when I said I saw something stocked with tools haha. Noted, expect my business as my thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know there’s lots of shops on your current planet but I couldn’t really tell you how to get to them, just make sure you don’t pay more than 50 coins for any iron tool since there are plenty of shops that sell them for 50 or less.

2 Likes

Not sure if you were able to find tech components elsewhere yet, but it is currently impossible to find tech components on any of the starter planets except for Solum. I believe this is going to be readily addressed in the new version, but for now it is actually futile to mine for those on Berlyn and the other two starters.

I wasted a lot of time looking :confused:

2 Likes

When you decide to look for gems, try rubies on Vulpto. They are lava level to 40. I think that currently rubies are the most easy gem to find. They are in caves above lava so you can traverse a lot of space until you find some lying around. If you can’t see any on rock surfaces just keep gong until you find some. In that area do some strip mining. I manage to get about 50-150 in couple of hours. Still grindy as hell but at least you get some satisfaction :smiley:

Silver tools, just skip them, they are just tad bit better than iron, and that does not pay off considering iron cost for them. I prefer gold tools since you need only copper for them (beside gold). Gold is plentiful near lava level. When you get into rubies hunting you should find plenty of gold lying around :slight_smile:

I don’t like how grindy the game is currently and I could hate about that for hours, but on the other hand there is awesome, helpful community and some features you won’t find in other building games. For now I have enough stuff to do to keep a blind eye on grinding shortcomings.

One tip for Vulpto, kill volumetric fog or whatever it is called in graphics settings otherwise it will be unplayable due to flare.

Good luck, have fun :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This game (update after update) tends toward a community based game (well the whole interconnection between worlds (and gaming platforms) helps this purpose), and less better for solo play. So after you learned the basics your main objective is to find a settlement, a community, a civilisation, to be part of it. Some people compare this game with minecraft, but mc started as a single player survival game, and Boundless starts as a civilisation builder, MMO game. In mc you can build a deathstar alone, here you cant do that by yourself (until you have time… A LOT). There will be some whose explore the best places to hunt/mine/build, some will mine out a mountain in a blink of an eye, some will hunt down all animals in a planet but you just looked away for a minute, some will craft cheaper and better things, and so on. It will all about collaboration. Of course you can play alone, but until you have a lot of patience and time, you will not be able to access all things in the game by yourself.

So nowadays, in the early access stage, the best you can do is to visit the forums (and you did!) and discord.

2nd tier tech component: try out non-starter worlds (you will have no luck on Therka, Berlyn or Vena V), and my experience is searching moon worlds (Elopor, Septerfon, Andoweem, Epsilo) mountain sides for them. But right now you only need them for the power generator and there are very few cases when you need more than one power generator.

Iron scarcity is a problem. I think its the problem that it do not spawn on surfaces (so less visible while just exploring), but if you know where to find it, you can have plenty. I tried out a lot of places and found that under grassy-foresty hills are the best spots on the height 50-70, and of course there are more iron on non-starter worlds (Andoweem and Elopor are the best, but I mined a lot on Munteen VII too).

Silver, gold and titanium. Well there are plenty if you go down caves and explore them, there are a lot silver in nearly every world deep down, and many gold and titanium near lava (mostly on non-starter worlds). Oh and while you expole the caves and go to the right planets, you can find gems in these caves too (topaz-Epsilo, emerald-Alturnik, diamond-Andoweem, amethyst-MunteenVII, ruby-Vulpto, sapphire-Nasharil).

Recipes are not final, but nowadays you should use wood-stone-copper-iron tools in most cases, and higher tier tools for special occasions. I recommend to use mostly stone/copper (and if you can find more iron, then iron) spanners, chisels, axes, shovels and hammers, with some gold/titanium/gem hammers in your invertory/storage to be able to mine out harder resources, and titanium/gem grapples. You can use any slingbows which ones you can afford, but of course the higher tier ones are better.

About the animal drops, others already informed you. Just hit that ■■■■■■ once more after you killed it!

Oh and dont be sad about others amazing structures, most veteran players get those resources before redistribution when was plenty from those precious resources.

2 Likes

Good to now for fact now, thank you. Ironic cos I am almost 90% positive I found my one and only self acquired component on Berlyn but I might be mistaken, or perhaps it changed since that was about 4 months ago.

Super helpful advice, too bad I spent so much time this week using all my existing iron and grinding for 50 more silver to make another tool.

Thanks for the Vulpto tip. I left that world quicker than most due to that exact issue.

2 Likes

Well, so here’s the resource distribution chart after March. The numbers are no longer going to be super accurate since they fluxuate based on what is mined from a planet (even though resources are also injected back in when the world regenerates, WHICH resources is based on a different system)

but anyway as you can see from this chart, there ARE three tech components on Berlyn. So you may have found literally one third of all the tech components on Berlyn

unless this has been like drastically updated/fixed since it was made and i just dont know about it
[World Resource DIstribution Chart](file:///C:/Users/Jeff/Downloads/Boundless%20-%20World%20Resource%20Distribution%20-%202017-04-18%20-%20Sheet1.pdf)
¯\(ツ)

2 Likes

if you can’t find your totem… you should be able to craft one from ether “hand crafting” tab in your inventory or from a “crafting table” for free… i know they moved the “beacons plotter / remover” tools to the crafting table but not 100% on the totem (previously they were hand crafted).

also in my experience Epsilo and Alturnik are swimming in A Tech Components…

Alturnik is also really good for M/L fossils (inside caves at low (lava) to medium depths). also if you can find a really massive mountain (200ish elevation) then you should find caves as high as 120-140s… assuming it has the girth for them… these can be great for finding emeralds which hang out in the caves @ the 75-110 range. emralds can be found in solid rock but i have not tested it extensively to see if it’s worth it.

Rubies are imo much easier to find. they are on Vulpto in the caves under mountains. most common close to lava but can be found at a medium elevation 50ish i think… while they are easier to find they are a bit more annoying / risky due to their proximity to lave and the “honeycomb” caves

wow got a bit carried away there hehe wanted to keep it short… as linked by the others the Resource Distribution can be of some help… but this is much better imho

By @Stretchious

as far as i can tell the altitude is the main thing to worry about… the “found under surface types” i guess helps but i find lots of places that are great for a given resource but has the wrong surface block. i think its more of a favored surface type, but by no means required.

also some things seem quite happy to be part of the “visible blocks” of caves like fossils silver copper etc while other things, like Iron * cough * , are almost never found in caves… these anti social resources seem to favor being at least 30 blocks under the surface and at least 15ish blocks away from caves… so solid rock yay hehe so when looking for iron keep in mind how far under the surface you are as well as your elevation… under mountains seems bad since there’s gernarly caves there… hills seem much better if you can find one that’s not completely overrun with gravel and sand… sadly there are way more duds then keepers out there.

lol now i’ve done it… sorry for the long post… hope there’s something helpful in there

Have fun, Stay Boundless!

4 Likes

These are good general guidelines. Gold for example: I always find it around sand. Whenever I go through layers of rock and I stumble against a patch of sand I make sure I dig around it and almost always find some gold.

Saying that, there are exceptions from what that data say. I found iron way above the max. 90 given here and also in caves. So, never give up hope of finding what you want even in unexpected areas.

2 Likes

Glad I’m not the only one that finds iron in high spots. That’s actually where I get most of mine (still in solid rock though), but beyond my favorite spot I’m unable to reproduce these results. Reminiscent of the old rules, i also find gold silver and titanium there which shouldn’t be there acording to the chart… its as if some areas still follow the old disruption rules o.O if that’s posible.

Just before they released the info, I used to find more iron on ice biomes at around 80 - 110 height.

Ah that reminds me my favorite height to find gold was around 80 in those steep dessert mountains.