Is this game hard or do I just suck at this game?

So I’m not a new player but have only recently returned to the game and am having quite a hard time with it considering my experience gaming. I read about a lot of other people rolling in the goods and have spent hours finding nil.

First start with the 2nd tier tech components which after days of casual search mining for coal along the way found only one and had to buy the other from a guy who was stocked up on dozens upon dozens. I say that was a difficult feat just to make myself a power generator.

Second I now gather that the iron scarcity is a new problem and one that will not last. Compared to a couple months ago I must say that finding silver has taken the place of the once abundant iron. Now my iron stock is gone and I struggle just to mine ore… that is after I have spent hours finding it.

Gold? Where do I find enough gold to make tools? Since the update which added the tools, and not including my time during the infinite material worlds of old, I have spent 50-60 hours mining for ore and have found 6 gold total and 10 titanium. Haven’t even seen a gem.

Thirdly I read one member showing off a massive collection of high tier tools and yet I struggled and mined hard just for enough silver and iron to make my first silver tool. Am I the only one that feels that having to acquire 40 silver and iron ore just to make one tool a little excessive? Especially after the other tools only take like 2 iron.

Lets add stone to that list as well. To take junk rock and turn it to stone I need two blocks and to refine that I now need four of the original block. I find more ore adventuring then strip mining and mining for rock is tedious with simple copper tools which is what I have an abundance of. I know many of us understand the “I don’t have all my non-working hours to grind for exp or rocks” dilemma. My house is quite sad looking.

In the last few days finding meat hasn’t been easy as after about two dozen kills I haven’t seen a meat or tallow drop. I used to just jump into the water around my house and find dead animals with their meat and tallow floating in the water and now I can’t even hunt for it. This makes surviving on harder planets tough and making my tools last tougher.

Didn’t mean to make this sound like a ■■■■■ rant. I understand this is going for a long term mmo which isn’t made to be a a grind for 10 hours and reach end game but I have been having a really hard time making ends meat. I see people with amazing structures and wonder how they got all those materials and see the shops filled with tools and wonder where they found those ores. I don’t post often but I didn’t find any answers in my searches. What am I doing wrong?
Any advice would be much appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

Gold is much lower on the worlds now.

Resource Distribution This link will pretty much help you find all you need.

As meat and other animal drops, you now have to give the last hit for it to drop the resources, no more it’s dead and it appears. You have to hit it with any tool (totem, shovel, axe, hammer) for it to despawn and drop resources.

Feel welcomed to ask further in here or in the discord chat https://discord.gg/fVQwCFA

3 Likes

Its all on where you are looking. Unfortunately many players spawn in dead areas which means you need to continue looking else where for the material you need. Dont be afraid to pack up and move until you find a resource rich area. Also you start with a little money so find your way to a city and buy some tools. It can be hard to get going but trust me, once you start finding the ore and material you need and want the game becomes extremely satisfying. But of all the games I’ve played this one definitely requires the most patience. What is your planet and location?

3 Likes
  1. Silver/Gold - indeed it’s hard to get a lot of these if you don’t find a good spot and that might be a pure luck event. I remember playing weeks before iron has become a problem and I had like a dozen of gold and silver versus hundreds copper/iron, so I progressed to higher tier tools via buying just to be able to mine hard coal and gems (when I eventually got to the closest ring planet).
    At the moment at least there is a lot of info from devs and players research data on where resources spawn, but if things remain the same way for 1.0 when we don’t have any data, then it’s gonna be tough. Those who start playing 1.0 right away won’t have markets to buy high tier equipment.
  2. Recipes - these will definitely be balanced, they are not final as they are now. Hopefully we won’t have to grind through basic materials to create even fairly basic decor/props and that crafting of higher tier tools will consume less material (as it’s hard enough to find gold/titanium and they are needed for other crafts too so we can’t just use it for tools).
  3. Gems - before change in resources spawn system it was quite unbalanced as Munteen (for example) was an easy one for gems while other ring planets delivered little in that respect. After change things are even tougher. Again, players who spent hours and had some luck know good spots and can mine a lot but that’s not gonna be a case anymore after final wipe and introducing 1.0 worlds.
  4. Animal drops - I am not sure if you missed on animal drop system change, but just in case I’ll let you know that you need to hit dead ones once more after the kill to get the drop. If you had a break in playing Boundless that might be a thing you missed.
    5.Tech Components/Fossil - these two have become rarer too, its not just you struggling. I feel you.

Long story short - don’t get to disheartened and use all info and help of other players that you can find. You will be able to test some high tier crafts and tools that way and expand your builds with finer materials. We are still in testing stages and a lot will change before 1.0.

3 Likes

2161 / -1444 on Berlyn.

I have spent at least 1-3 hours on seven other planets and have only had more success fossils and coal which I was never in need of. It was another planets I found my titanium and gold on but they are so scarce.

I will take note of buying a couple tools. Thanks.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot. Good to know the game is just going for the slow grind approach and that it’s not just my play style holding me back.

I now understand the new animal drop mechanics but I have hunted 30 now with my slingbow and haven’t seen a drop. This is only in the last couple days since I came back, my last play was maybe in March.

1 Like

Game is currently slower on the early stages, and gets progressively faster or steady, once you get into gold. Gems are harder to get than before, but still plentiful to make a couple stacks of tools.

2 Likes

Something isn’t right there. I don’t think I’ve ever killed a creature and didn’t get some kind of drop.

1 Like

I think it’s about not giving the last hit once they’re dead.

Ever since that change, all mobs drop something.

1 Like

Lol, while you guys were typing, I killed three more on my way to the berlyn shops and no drops still. I hit each one with four copper bow shots. :frowning:

1 Like

After they die are you hitting them with your totem?

1 Like

With the totem no… damn, I need to find which crafting station I stored that in. Sorry, didn’t know. Been trying to ax and hammer them.

1 Like

You can use any tool to hit the creature after it dies .

2 Likes

And axe or hammer should work just fine. When you hit the creature after it dies does the body disappear?

2 Likes

Yes, i tried it on one but must not have connected cos it took me three blows to hit it, hammer worked great.

1 Like

Yeah, sometimes the Hitbox acts a little goofy.

1 Like

Thanks a lot, explains why the dead bodies were lingering on my compass forever haha.

1 Like

I usually use the totem to get the last hit, that way it doesn’t damage any of my tools.

1 Like

Word, good idea… still need to locate it haha. Anyway to make another if by some chance I chucked it?

While I still have your attention, mind telling me which other planet might have a good shop with tools?

1 Like

Never get rid of the totem anyway - its unbreakable so if you get stuck somewhere with your tools broken you still have basic means of work and survival.

2 Likes