Issue with "griefing" in my city

Make your case to the devs and propose to them in exhaustive detail how the rules should be changed. And how it can be done in such a way that protects the innocent from being punished by mistake.

2 Likes

Attacking my Character is not what this Forum is for. I would suggest you keep it civil and only attack my ideas, arguments and objections.

2 Likes

The whole reason i opened this post was literally because this game Lacks A true CoC, which is possibly why the game hasn’t Exploded in population( Just mine and many others speculations). The basis of this game is amazing, but plain and Simple this shouldn’t be allowed. If i have 4 plots Around a plot that plot should not be open. It should be reserved. Same goes to say with a settlement. If i don’t want someone connecting to my settlement that should be my decision. Not the person who decided to build right next to me, Or in this case DIRECTLY IN MY TOWN.

But the fact that I was told the best way to defeat a troll is to ignore them, is quite possibly the worst response given. Tell that to the live streamers who get Ddossed or swatted.(Should they not tell the police what happened and just suffer whatever they do?) No offense, but if someone hacks your game would you just ignore them? Sure that is completely different but also similar to the an extent and you would not let that slide, But just because this doesn’t Directly stand for griefing in the Coc Doesn’t mean its not griefing and it also doesn’t mean it should be shoulder shrugged like im currently getting.,

Maybe You put a reserve space for plots. AKA if i have a 40x40 settlement and someone tries to put a plot connecting to mine I have an Option to approve or deny Like the Guild Book, But instead make it a community book. If someone tries to lay a plot on my community it gives them a popup to request placement of joining my community. I then have the option to confirm or deny that placement. Once again Its “MY” Community right?

There is an obvious Missing piece in this issue and its just that nothing has been done to combat it. Ive had plenty of friends who wont come back mainly due to issues like this. Ive even seen streamers straight up quit streaming the game over issues like this. So my final remark is try to listen to the community and do something to help prevent these issues.

On the terms of fairness, there is no fairness. My hard work shouldn’t have to be redone because the devs are to worried to remove a beacon or plot from lets say “sketchy Behavior”. It doesn’t truly matter if its not against CoC, its a ■■■■ thing to do and really shouldn’t be allowed to happen in the first place. It would be one thing if he built a beacon like 2-3 out from mine to wait and see if it vanished. I don’t care if he stole all my stuff if i’m inactive. But the fact that i missed 1 plot in MY town that i spent probably 20+ hours making and im currently active and now have to Up and root it to a new place if i want a complete town is wildly Unreasonable.

2 Likes

The difference between what happened and your example, is that one of them is a crime, the other is just being an a-hole which is not a crime. I feel for ya, I do, but don’t give them the satisfaction and they won’t invest as much time being a trouble to you.

3 Likes

Totally spot on.

I probably get flagged again, apologize for those who found it offensive, but I definitely agree that the CoC is too vague. Atm, it is so easy to get away with grief. I could go home, put 15 plots on a line somewhere and build a huge mass craft farm and claim I want to be part of the community and say I will expand in the future. Off the hook. Easy.

Also, griefing is not a crime, it’s just being an a-hole but should, according to CoC, be against the rules.

2 Likes

I like this solution a lot. If the player was actually trolling, this leaves them with no way to continue. They either have to play along with the RP (whatever they build is just part of the “display”), push the CoC past its limits, or give up the plot.

3 Likes

But once again why not try to focus on fixing the Bigger picture. Why not cause a way to not let trolls be trolls.

Blockquote

I agree, that was one helluva reach for a comparison…

It does suck and I feel for you OP and I am on your side, but unclaimed land is exactly that; unclaimed land. No one has to explain their motives or intentions to anyone when they plot unclaimed land as long as they aren’t boxing anyone in or preventing expansion.

I think we can all agree that system could use a bit of a rework. Like OP suggested maybe a “community book.” Or perhaps a one or two plot buffer zone around a certain number of plots grouped together, or even reserving plots within a perimiter of linked plots with whitelist permissions, etcetera. In an open world circled around precious resources, settlements and building whatever your heart desires… it’s not as cut and dry for the devs to just hit the ‘delete button’ as everyone would like. Even if the rules and mechanics changed tomorrow that wouldn’t alleviate past problems or situations, it would just potentially prevent them from happening over again.

Situation sucks. Add a railing so people don’t fall to their doom and take it in stride, ever hopeful that the plot will disappear when you log on tomorrow. Not many more options besides that and quitting.

Hell, I myself have a number of plots within my own settlement that I wish everyday would be gone. No one broke any rules tho, so I can’t do anything about it and complaining publicly won’t solve anything, so I wait. Until they disappear or an alternative solution presents itself (ie blueprints, ability to move builds plot by plot) I am where I am. I’m not going to ragequit over it. It’s an mmo.

Stuff happens. Freakin’ sucks that it does, but it does.

This. Let’s all just try to come up with real, feasible future solutions for the devs instead of focusing on the here and now.

1 Like

While I sympathize and obviously with an undeveloped plot it makes it hard to say what the motivation is. Maybe they do at some point intend to use the plot for something, maybe they want to try and sell it to you, maybe they are trolling.

But If a player takes a plot in a settlement to get footfall should that be against the CoC? As one of the few ways to make coin, is this not a valid play strategy? All the players that have a few plots near portal hubs, should that be against the CoC? I think one thing to remember is the game mechanics do provide an incentive for getting a plot in a busy area.

I do think the protection zones that were discussed by the developers at one point would help solve some of these issues, and I hope they will at least consider putting them into the game in the near future.

1 Like

That really sucks but it’s the risk you accept when allowing others to plot in your city.

There’s a big part off those plots owned by one week players our less active players if they then see these forum posts they get probably triggered to keep it plotted cause they fell attacked before having a change to explain why they there 75 procent off these plots get solved in aqua emb by doing nothing about it our waiting to meet the owner we also solved lots off issue by being in contact with players on different timezones asking town people ingame goes along way the forum way has never worked

5 Likes

I honestly think that if there was a “perimeter rule” where all plots adjacent around a plot with an owner could only be plotted by either the owner of the neighbour plot or a friend or guild member of that owner, a lot of this griefing would be fixed. That way cities can still work and the chance of griefing happening would lessen since the griefers wouldn’t be able to plot single plots.

For example, Wurm Online uses perimeters and, while not perfect, certainly helps to keep a lot of potential griefers out.

Maybe another solution is not about a rule about a perimeter but the true possibility to manage cities.

The mayor / plot owner / guild owner should be able to rent a set of plot (freely or not / for a limited time or not), with an automatic return of the plot to the city in case of non-fuelling the sub-beacon.

Thinking about cities management could provide very fun gameplay and solve lots of griefing problems.

Currently cities are managed with a system designed to manage individual properties. That’s the real problem in my mind.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, this is the word that came to my mind as well. People are saying just build a railing, I’m like just pack up those 12 blocks or whatever and send them to the person and unbeacon it, devs.

No, that doesn’t mean I think every dispute the devs should jump in and take the word of someone, but they can investigate and verify, and perhaps if it’s a single plot in a sky city with no floor and not enough prestige to even gain footfall, and the owner can’t be contacted/won’t reply… maybe it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world if that person just made a new beacon if/when they came back.

Anyway, guess it is what it is. Hopefully the beacon times out soon or something. Good luck @makesitlookez.

1 Like

Maybe they saw an opening to set up a shop in the mall or a chance to be close to portals you have there. If this is the case, maybe they had a brief moment to play when they beaconed it and have been busy with work since.

I’d give them the benefit of doubt before assuming they are griefing. If they come on the forums and see this and feel attacked they may leave it as a hole. Just put a fence around it so no one falls in and hope for the best.

A rental system is also what I think might solve a lot of these problems. The way I envision it, renting out a plot would give the renter everything as if they owned it. However, either side could choose not to renew a rental - no reason given, no appeal. When you rent, you simply agree to that as part of the bargain.

2 Likes

So you are mayor and set up a city and set up rented plots, what happens if you quit the game? Everyone looses their stuff when your beacon expires? They are your plots that you rented so something has to happen to them. What happens if you pull your beacon, then do those plots that you rented go away and the areas regen? What happens when I move into the city and become mayor since you are not the mayor any more can you still rent plots or is that restricted to the mayor? Is renting plots P2W? I can buy plots and now rent them for in game coin. Is this not one of the things the developers have been trying to avoid?

I think there are a lot of pitfalls to this idea. I do agree that the developers need to look at the CoC and the game mechanics and see what might be done, but I think a perimeter (as they suggested at one point) is a better idea than renting plots.

1 Like

Well if you rent out plots the person would need permissions on the beacon which means they can fuel the beacon themselves. So that part is kinda mute. And people already rent out spaces usually not for coin tho.

1 Like

Is the assumption that each area that is to be rented has to have its own beacon? If this is the case then why do we need renting, you can do this already. Of course this allows the owner of the beacon to go in and take anything they want from the renter so this is probably not a good situation.

If not if you have one beacon and rent plots within that beacon to various players through other controls, then you would not want every renter to have access to other renters stuff or you open it up to bad conduct by players. And why would I want them to have access to my workshop and beacon?

Oh I really don’t care about renting plots. I was just going off of how things are done currently. Aqua hub rents out spaces for shops. And player has perms on the beacon. There’s a few places around that rent out stalls in their shop as well with the same process. None of them charge any coin tho. So I was just giving insight on how I see things currently done.