Just bought a PS4 because of Boundless

It seems Rock, Paper, Shotgun didn’t get this memo :wink:

2 Likes

To be fair, this sounds so much more awesome.

1 Like

What is “this”? Ben’s post, or Rock, Paper, Shotgun’s section?

Rock, paper, shotgun’s section xD

think it would be pretty cool for certain pvp worlds (which i still hope to get)

2 Likes

It’s possible they read into some of our text there, but the feel is right. Fighting over territory might be more of a beacon/land struggle rather than actual combat.

We’re just trying to set an expectation for PvP: it’s going to be in the game in some form, it’ll be for fun and we’re not going to attempt to balance out the cool (but crazy) stuff players might be able to do because it’s not really in the spirit of a sandbox.

3 Likes

Yeah, I agree. This framework lends itself to PvE content more, if your mechanics are flat enough you wont notice the difference.

I think Terraria showed some of the challenges with PvP in a game the has a large degree of progression.

Perhaps the game should not focus on territorial conquest on players homes, IE Factions. Instead one possibility is that we designate a PvP world with objectives to be fought over in a more king of the hill style of gameplay. The world could be swapped out periodically to keep the challenges the construction of bases fresh and interesting. perhaps items or loot could be a driving force to encourage players to participate. Also this might allow for timed events to be coordinated to gather players together for an event versus random ganking.

1 Like

I hope we will see a “real form of PvP” in the game. I always enjoyed a good skill based fight (Guild Wars 2 PvP). Maybe as a form of “optional” like in WoW (challenge somebody for PvP and he has to accept) or like Faction figths like in Guild Wars 1.

This isn’t optional and WoW doesn’t have this haha.

I think so long as dueling is incorporated, players can make their own rules/experiences with it.

Gdubs, and WoW are skill based (buttons) games.

Boundless is an item based game.

How do you envision this being done?

Skill based meaning skills you have ingame to activate right?

Calling WoW a “skill based game” is going a bit far :wink: It’s more item-based than Boundless will be if anything we’ve heard about wearables is true.

Also, I think there’s a lot of skill in a dual-wielding grappling hook + weapon match…

Oh…were you meaning this @Karko? I think most people define “skill based” as being based on player ability, not character ability.

5 Likes

Correct,

skill based - you have an item with stats, the abilities are determined by skills (buttons you press)

item based - item has stats and the item your holding determines the ability’s

1 Like

I think @Heurazio meant that fights in GW2 are determined by combos, strategy, placing, etc. In WoW, it’s mostly based on gear and numbers and not actual player ability.

I think Boundless will be largely based on player ability.

3 Likes

This might sound idiotic, but since you mentioned ‘‘fun’’ pvp. wouldnt it be awesome if you added something that worked kinda like paintball/Laser tag into the game? so you have the same ‘‘gun’’ but it doesnt deal dmg, rather it gives you points or minus points depending on who you hit. this might be quite complex to know, but i think oort would be absolutely amazing for this and i think some really really badass arenas would start to emerge.

also a ball, add a physics based ball which will react to getting shot, can you imagine playing football with bow and arrow? xD

3 Likes

I like this a lot, this sounds amazing.

1 Like

What are we talking about?
Sorry to have to be that guy.

@G_Sage

Started talking about MMO differences on console and PC. Evolved into discussing PvP differences between those two in a few different genres. Then talked about PvP in Boundless and discussed different definitions of skill-based. Then Zouls mentioned some ideas that are still players against other players, but missing the whole “killing” other players component that most games have (which is very interesting. Kind of like pro-bending in Korra, if you’ve seen that).

2 Likes

Back on topic, Grouping will be another area that you would want to explore. How will the console players form groups in the game, will there be an interface to help players find groups. The PC players can connect through out of game means forums on the PC platform. How will Playstation players make friends to keep them engaged if all they do is load the disk in and log in?

How will a Playstation player configure permissions on beacons? On screen keyboard?

Can they manage permissions on a rented world from a controller?

Will they be able to rent worlds from the playstation interface?

How will they get worlds to load onto a rented server from the console?

Many of our future players will be younger children that might not have access to a PC, or might not have the skill to do these things through a web interface. But there parents might be willing to pay for some of the services.

I know this has been brought up before but it worth mentioning in this context. How will a player without a web browser figure out recipes?

2 Likes

Ingame Books written by players^^ I tell you that’s the holy grail of Bless^^

3 Likes