Just bought a PS4 because of Boundless

If you have enough female friends who always point out what BL can also mean you get used to do that aswell^^

If you watch enough animeā€¦ trust me, i have seen ā– ā– ā– ā–  i wish i never sawā€¦

1 Like

For that very reason, I typically avoid anime. Also, we could call it ā€œB>ā€

1 Like

On camera iā€™m totally toeing the company line.

However, off camera itā€™s a lot easier to say. ā€œHey, Emily do you want to play some Oort?ā€ Than it is to say ā€œHey, Emily do you want to play some Boundless?ā€

1 Like

I tried to get him to do this. I donā€™t know why anyone is against adding a few extra letters.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the exact reason^^

Iā€™m not familiar with the idiom. Can you rephrase?

1 Like

Conform to a rule or set standard

If you talk to friends itā€™s easier to say Oort than Boundless. It rolls easier from the tongue^^
On the other hand if you talk to someone you donā€™t know or who doesnā€™t know Oort you say Boundless because thatā€™s the official term and thatā€™s how theyā€™ll find it online.

2 Likes

@Karko Hmm. Standards are usually made into standards because of their familiarity with a large audience. I guess I donā€™t understand how itā€™s ā€œeasierā€ to use the old name in a forum setting when so many new players are joining who arenā€™t familiar with the history of the name change. If Emily is a friend you talk to off of the forums who knows the game as Oort, Iā€™d agree itā€™s easier to use Oort. But I did graduate research into the fields of conceptual pacts and common ground, part of psycholinguistics, and I think itā€™d be easier to use the new name in the forums.

Probably blowing this into a bigger issue than it needs to be, I just think itā€™s nice to respect the effort that went into making the name change happen while also making the forums a more user-friendly place for new players.

Emily is my daughter, so I only say it IRL. Online I call it Boundless. I was more pointing out how uncomfortable it is to say out loud boundless, than to just say Oort.

1 Like

As long as this means that PvP wonĀ“t be super broken and there will be something else than just a WoW style duel challange IĀ“m super happy.

However, if PvP gets a bit more attention from the devs (dunno, maybe a few PvP wearables, Guild vs Guild battles etc) IĀ“m going to send a cake to Guilford :smile:

But back to topic:
I also think that an ingame voice chat might be necessary for Oort/Boundless because itĀ“s a sandbox game and unlike in other PS MMOs itĀ“s not clear what a group is going to do next (like in, for example, Destiny/Diablo) where you just rush down to the next boss.

2 Likes

I donā€™t quite agree. When talked to my old college roommates about the game back in Oort days, they were both kind of turned off by the name. Now with the name change theyā€™ve investigated a bit more and @Theballzman has already joined as explorer while Iā€™m giving the other one an instant access key when I upgrade my tier. Boundless is also an English word whereas Oort isnā€™t (seems to be Dutch?), so it seems weird to me that itā€™s more uncomfortable for you to say Boundless in public than Oort.

1 Like

@Vastar, according to Benā€™s quote, itā€™s probably going to be broken in some scenarios and efforts arenā€™t going to be made to balance these scenarios.

I agree on voice chat though. Doesnā€™t PS4 already allow for voice chat? Just have to find a way to cross-play that with PC in a maybe localized way like SecondLife does.

There no doubt the new name is better for selling the game.

I think it is the length that I find uncomfortable in informal conversation.

Examples, letā€™s play some Wow, EQ, Magic, MC, D3ā€¦

1 Like

Remove ā€œsomeā€ and you free up the second syllable.

To: Letā€™s play Boundless (4)
Comparison: Letā€™s play some Oort (4)

:wink:

1 Like

bwhahaha, your right

Was mostly joking heehee. Cultural differences in linguistics is not my thing. I know some cultures value speed over accuracy so you do you ;). Itā€™s just interesting to see those cultural speech preferences translate to text in @KuroKumaā€™s case.

4 Likes

Iā€™d say for me itā€™s only because I write the same way I talk^^ and Boundless is kind of long and it actually translates to something. Yes for me thatā€™s something that speaks against speaking it out loud^^ Maybe itā€™s just because I and friends of mine always joke about how silly things sound if you translate them^^ Things like Borderlands, Dead Space, Minecraft etc^^