Keep your "macros" to your self

So we agree that it is cheating in both cases.

But only one warrants an adjustment to the UI for quality of life playing.
(as far as mods, I’ve seen several people mention that Sim’s trade scanner is an unfair advantage, etc etc but many people agree that that system was cumbersome and now we’re seeing direct game change because of it - just like the discussion on the potential crafting fix)

All I’m saying is we can’t paint these perceived ‘bad things’ with the same brush. They show flaws at some level that warrants looking at. I don’t like regen farms, but they are a thing, and they are the type of thing this macro thing generally shows itself in. I might be wrong but I thought the farming system was a first step at trying to figure out how to reduce regen farming.

These sort of complex macros discourage feedback on game features by negating the activities themselves for certain players.

If the game is flooded with certain materials then without studying metrics on player actions, the devs can only assume that these materials are already too easy to acquire. So then a few players running macros lead to the game being made harder for every other player.

This is a forum where people can share feedback and request features. And if the game is so hard that it’s reasonable to bring on third party tools negating the game play, people passing around macros so that others are able to bypass it with literally zero effort in either developing the macro OR performing the task the game will eventually be unplayable for players that can’t or won’t use these outside tools.

IMO (you’re entitled to yours) these tools don’t encourage feedback, they suppress it.

It’s definitely not about an auto clicking mouse to bypass a bajillion clicks on the same button.

I’m talking about complex macros, that allow a player to align their character, then walk away while it repeatedly performs a harvesting, building, or processing action, interacting with blocks and constructs in the open world. Placing, harvesting, block changing, then returning to a start point or reorienting, regenerating, picking up, and/or replacing resources as necessary, and then doing it again.

As with many things in life, there’s a gap between what you “can” do and what you “should” do. And should is a very subjective word. It doesn’t really upset me that other people have different opinions. But it affects who I respect, and who I choose to associate with.

Yes specifically this morning I’m discussing a macro that farms bark and sap in a properly set up tree farm, the same macro which can be used to farm endless gleam in a gleam ball like on serpensarindi or any material deposit that is qa few blocks deep including trunk, gleam, stone, soil, etc…

Also mentioned was a macro to block change a smart stack of blocks in under 10 minutes completely AFK.

If you’ve ever done extensive chisel changing, I’m sure you can see how awesome that would seem. But will you ever look at a massive build of white marble again and respect the ‘effort’ that went into it? Less likely if you don’t personally know the builder or block producer, and how it was done.

Not to mention, from a market sense, that people charge a high premium for blocks that require changing.

So is the person who changed them by hand “a fool for their effort”? Or is the person who runs the macro a “market genius” for getting around the effort that supposedly justifies the premium?

All a matter of opinion I guess :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Yea this is complex and way different than what I was talking about. I’ve always referred to something like that as botting. It’s different than running a macro that does a limited function like the table stuff. That’s why i was asking which you were talking about exactly.

TBH I always assumed you used a macro similar to standing on top of a tree, setting macro to chop then stop after x second then throw regen bomb, and have it looped up down up down etc. It’s really simple and not nearly as complex as the one you are describing your friend to have used.

Yea, walking round automated though is a different level.

1 Like

If macros were to be banned, then playstation should not be able to play in the same connected universe as they will still be able to have their machine run continuative infinite actions if they turn off their controller remotely thru their phone. As it is built into the machine itself, what is boundless to do, separate the entire universe? Because that would be “what is fair” correct?

1 Like

My simple take: If you cheat, you get warned, then banned. Simple, easy, no politic like back-and-forth threads involved. I don’t want to see how people are going to try to twist this as “proof” or a “reason” to change something to their liking because I’m not interested in the byplay and won’t be part of it anymore.

5 Likes

I choose not to do this.

After this thread I set up a macro to click on a table button 30 times and gave it a try. It didn’t negate the other aspects of mass processing that i don’t enjoy so in the end I literally started hiring other players to do it.

It’s not a lot of players that have been involved but I’ve given up hundreds of levels and the attendant cubits to have other people handle it lol. TBH I’ve been considering finding a new person(s) since the last person that was doing it steadily for me isn’t playing much any more. And my refined rock stands are getting bare.

IMO the more advanced tools are task automation, it’s beyond what would formally be considered a “macro”. But it’s often casually referred to as macroing and much of the software used is named/advertised as Macro Software.

100% also fits the common definition of “botting”.

1 Like

I agree entirely. I think a warning might even be too kind. IMO, cheaters should have account banned, characters deleted, and any beacons they owned removed and regenerated.

This is definitely something wonderstruck needs to address immediately. I also have no interest in playing with cheaters.

5 Likes

Botting or macros in this sense of automation are a bannable offense in most mmos. Just sayin.

8 Likes

I agree. People that have been abusing the game since day one are still around and nothings ever happened. I’d love to see a uniform announcement on what they allow/won’t allow.

2 Likes

As long as playstation has the ability to cheat built into their system allowing infinite repeating actions by turning off your controller remotely with your phone, there will always be the ability to cheat in the game. So again, should playstation not even be allowed to play because their base operation system allows cheating?

1 Like

No, PS users should just not engage in that behavior…

2 Likes

Does turning off the controller on the Playstation allow for a complex series of commands to be repeated in a specific order or a single command to be repeated?

5 Likes

Single action infinite, weather mining, walk chiseling, ect it continues pressing the buttons pressed when turned off

Sounds similar to the bug we have leaving menus sometimes.

1 Like

Ok, so nothing complex at least. They could probably write something into the code that detects when a PS controller is unplugged and cancel any actions on the game side. The PC version has something similar when task switching out of the game or from steam menus - again, probably something that can be detected and negated.

5 Likes

It interfaces with the PS phone app.

If my controller disconnects due to lack of charge, a message comes up saying it’s disconnected. Not sure if it’s game-side or just the PlayStation software, though.

I cannot “heart” this enough times.There was also a major exploit (now addressed) where two rubber bands and a PS controller could net you crazy AFK levels.

The fact that “PC player s could do it too” doesn’t exactly bring it into the realm of legitimate game mechanics, OR desirable behaviors.

LOL this happens to me all the time on PC and I hate it.

Sure it would be nice in certain situations, 'auto-tool lock" might even be a desirable game feature. But I doubt if this quirk is a reason to ban an entire platform any more than hardware multi-clicking is a reason to ban all PC players.

This statement can stand on it’s own i think. This isn’t a game specific or platform specific issue. Neither is people botting or macroing game activities. It IS however a cultural issue, and if making/running these sort of tools becomes normative in this particular game, I find it’s a culture that I don’t want to be a part of.

And there are hard obstacles to that ever being “normal” or “fair” in the boundless community. PS4 may have some hardware quirks but even if the developers set up a Botting section in the forum and allow people to publish these macros, encouraging their use - it literally cuts off an entire platform from being able to compete on an even level and then who will want to play on that platform?

This isn’t about what’s POSSIBLE. It’s about how people choose to behave, and how those choices affect the people they interact with.

2 Likes

Yea. Some people take the game way too seriously. Others just look at it as fun and entertainment and want cool blocks to build with. How you look at it just depends on what you think is ‘right or wrong’. If it’s a grey area there’s always going to be an opinion and the devs opinion is the only one that matters as we’ve seen.

One thing that would nix the entire discussion is private cut off worlds as it seemed had been talked about before, then people can play how they want and build how they want without anyone’s feathers getting ruffled.

Anyways, definitely a good conversation. I’m gonna go do something now you cant bot or macro though, and that’s goo poppin on Danaus

anti botting should be implemented when u get a pop-up screen every 30min / 1hr that u have to enter a code or maybe in ps4 case press arrow directions? This is done in many sanbox games and even on my own server this is added (server sided script) I think that cuts the botters by 85%

1 Like