Keep your "macros" to your self

Botting or macros in this sense of automation are a bannable offense in most mmos. Just sayin.

8 Likes

I agree. People that have been abusing the game since day one are still around and nothings ever happened. I’d love to see a uniform announcement on what they allow/won’t allow.

2 Likes

As long as playstation has the ability to cheat built into their system allowing infinite repeating actions by turning off your controller remotely with your phone, there will always be the ability to cheat in the game. So again, should playstation not even be allowed to play because their base operation system allows cheating?

1 Like

No, PS users should just not engage in that behavior…

2 Likes

Does turning off the controller on the Playstation allow for a complex series of commands to be repeated in a specific order or a single command to be repeated?

5 Likes

Single action infinite, weather mining, walk chiseling, ect it continues pressing the buttons pressed when turned off

Sounds similar to the bug we have leaving menus sometimes.

1 Like

Ok, so nothing complex at least. They could probably write something into the code that detects when a PS controller is unplugged and cancel any actions on the game side. The PC version has something similar when task switching out of the game or from steam menus - again, probably something that can be detected and negated.

5 Likes

It interfaces with the PS phone app.

If my controller disconnects due to lack of charge, a message comes up saying it’s disconnected. Not sure if it’s game-side or just the PlayStation software, though.

I cannot “heart” this enough times.There was also a major exploit (now addressed) where two rubber bands and a PS controller could net you crazy AFK levels.

The fact that “PC player s could do it too” doesn’t exactly bring it into the realm of legitimate game mechanics, OR desirable behaviors.

LOL this happens to me all the time on PC and I hate it.

Sure it would be nice in certain situations, 'auto-tool lock" might even be a desirable game feature. But I doubt if this quirk is a reason to ban an entire platform any more than hardware multi-clicking is a reason to ban all PC players.

This statement can stand on it’s own i think. This isn’t a game specific or platform specific issue. Neither is people botting or macroing game activities. It IS however a cultural issue, and if making/running these sort of tools becomes normative in this particular game, I find it’s a culture that I don’t want to be a part of.

And there are hard obstacles to that ever being “normal” or “fair” in the boundless community. PS4 may have some hardware quirks but even if the developers set up a Botting section in the forum and allow people to publish these macros, encouraging their use - it literally cuts off an entire platform from being able to compete on an even level and then who will want to play on that platform?

This isn’t about what’s POSSIBLE. It’s about how people choose to behave, and how those choices affect the people they interact with.

2 Likes

Yea. Some people take the game way too seriously. Others just look at it as fun and entertainment and want cool blocks to build with. How you look at it just depends on what you think is ‘right or wrong’. If it’s a grey area there’s always going to be an opinion and the devs opinion is the only one that matters as we’ve seen.

One thing that would nix the entire discussion is private cut off worlds as it seemed had been talked about before, then people can play how they want and build how they want without anyone’s feathers getting ruffled.

Anyways, definitely a good conversation. I’m gonna go do something now you cant bot or macro though, and that’s goo poppin on Danaus

anti botting should be implemented when u get a pop-up screen every 30min / 1hr that u have to enter a code or maybe in ps4 case press arrow directions? This is done in many sanbox games and even on my own server this is added (server sided script) I think that cuts the botters by 85%

1 Like

Depending on how the macro was done, I don’t see a problem with macros as long as it is not designed in such a way that it allows AFK automation of the game.

If for example the macro more or less translates a one button press into about 4 or 5 timed button presses and then self-terminates and that is it, I see no problem, In fact I do not know of a single MMO that has had a problem with such things so far. The only game I play that might have a problem with such things is LoL, but that is an eSport and needs to be held to strict standards.

If the macro allows for AFK automation of the game, then in my book this is more akin to a bot which is not legal in most games and should be reported.

I would argue that if you can make a reliable 1 button into ~4 button press macro for it, the aspect is most likely not challenging anyway and just extremely repetitive

You only get one shot in this world, some people do indeed value their wrists enough to want to use macros once the thing has shown to start causing pain.

Some people are already disabled and require macros and other tools to assist in playing the game.

Built right in to one of the most well known MMOs.

I guess before I can argue this point any further I need to fully understand what you define as a „Complex“ macro.

3 Likes

almost every mmo game got “user macros” services allowing players to make own macros helping with casting skills/abilitier in certain order without wasting time for manually clicking on every single skill, allowing making repetative actions in crafting/gathering/fishing

i really wish they could add macro system in boundless

as example - crafting macro from Final Fantasy XIV mmorpg

Macro 1
/ac “Inner Quiet” <me><wait.2>
/ac “Manipulation II” <me><wait.2>
/ac “Ingenuity II” <me><wait.2>
/ac “Delicate Synthesis” <me><wait.3>
/ac “Steady Hand II” <me><wait.2>
/ac “Ingenuity II” <me><wait.2>
/ac “Preparatory Touch” <me><wait.3>
/ac “Preparatory Touch” <me><wait.3>
/ac “Byregot’s Blessing” <me><wait.3>
/ac “Reuse” <me><wait.3>
/ac “Careful Synthesis II” <me><wait.3>

Every 30mins to an hour with out fail? I can see it now, people randomly dying because they were in mid action to prevent themselves from falling into the lava and then their input gets locked out,

This I personally feel is just more annoying to regular users, as real bots would most likely have access to the games memory to be able to read what the code is. This might only work against less complex bots. Or homebrewed bots not made by a professional.

3 Likes

I’ve mentioned macros as cheating various times and no one seemed to care. Glad people are starting to care now.

I know a popular one was to make a little out house made of storage shelves with a spot to place a block and they would run a macro that made them chisel, break, and replace the block. Done inside the out house since it guarantees nothing else breaks, since storage is 3 hits and titanium(for example) is one hit.

1 Like

A lot of them don’t.

Based off of what I personally witnessed when I came across people doing this, they were acting as bots, not macros, as none of them reacted to me interrupting what they were doing.

1 Like

There’s a huge difference in macros and botting and people always conflate the two.

1 Like