Kind of worried about the future of this game

I really love the game, I really do, but to be 100% honest here… I don’t know if the current playerbase will be enough for the game to keep itself updated… it might be just me who is worried for nothing really and I hope it is the case, but I’ve seen so many games I love close down because the playerbase simply wasn’t big enough looking at you World Adrift

2 Likes

They’re a new studio. They do have another game on Steam that they made before Boundless called The Marvellous Miss Take. How well that game has done is unknown but it was published on Steam 5 years ago. So it looks like they went from that game into this one. There probably is some money that came along with the Square Enix publishing deal as well which helped pad the financials.

Right now it’s important to keep in mind that the game isn’t even being advertised at all. I think the devs are waiting to get some more pieces into the game first before they pull the trigger on that one with Square Enix.

10 Likes

Dont be worried. The game is healthy, the player base is healthy, and the game is financially secure. I have watched this game sprout from a tiny kernel with a player base of less than 12. Boundless has not yet peaked. There is still mountains of growth before us, I promise.

29 Likes

like the “Own a World” feature for example ? it’s not in the game yet but they do plan on adding it so maybe they’re waiting for the game to be “Feature complete” before pulling the trigger.

1 Like

Very hard to say. Even though I am an early backer, I didn’t put down money for the game to tell them how to run the business. I think rental worlds is still in the pipeline but they want a few other things in first. I bet we see a huge marketing push after rental worlds and titans are in the game.

Of course, there still are plenty of other issues but at some point they’re going to need to hold up their hands and say, “That’s enough, we need more players now.”

2 Likes

especially considering titans are supposed to be multiplayer dungeon, so yeah they’ll probably need as much player as they can get just for that reason alone

These thoughts hit me every day. I just continue and enjoy the time we have. Hopefully things end well.

4 Likes

Easy come, easy go. Thankfully for this game, it’s still coming. That 80 player cap is rough though when everyone and their dog wants to check out all the new features. Can’t wait til it cools down a bit.

1 Like

I love your optimism @Havok40k ! But just out of curiosity, where did you get that Financially secure statement ? not that I don’t believe you, but I would be curious to know if this was an actual statement from the devs or is it just a theory of yours

I think the real issue is that the duration of beacon fuel is not accommodating to casual players. Miss one 3 week interval? There goes your everything. A casual player is not going to invest in the gleam club - which to me seems a bit extortive. Pay us monthly or grind regularly, or else!!!

I am not the most efficient player, but it took me five and a half hours to get the materials for a mass craft or the BEST beacon fuel available - which only lasts 12 weeks. If someone doesn’t realize it takes that long and is in a time crunch before needing to take an extended leave, they are just going to quit when they come back to nothing. They need to make the better beacon fuels easier to craft or greatly increase the duration of the higher tier fuels.

3 Likes

I have seen numerous, similar posts to this since I started playing over a year ago but the game endures and just keeps getting better.
I and many others keep on playing and will keep on playing.
This game had been out, in early access, 2 years before I discovered it (came up when a Google searched games similarly to my previous game, terraria.) so I’m thinking there are many potential players out there.
Developers aiming for a more mature and stable game before a major market push seems a sensible strategy.
Build it and they will come.

6 Likes

I could be wrong(unlikely since I use it in my guild mates beacons)but the best one is 16 weeks. Unless they changed something in this update. That’s 4 times a year you have to fill your beacon. And you can find them at 1k c or less. And now with the minter in the game that really shouldn’t be hard to buy. Comes out to something like 12c a day to keep your beacon fueled with the best fuel.

6 Likes

This is the best game, and while the devs don’t say much about it, they have said that they see Boundless more as a slow burn. I also know that the community, while small, is loyal.

8 Likes

I have discussed this topic many times in another place.
As far as the current activity of this game is concerned, it is difficult to continue to develop healthily.
Check here.
https://steamcharts.com/app/324510
http://status.playboundless.info
The count of players is less then 200, even less then some famous Minecraft server.

Need to use the ninja one since that only accounts for steam and not ps4 users

Yup, just checked and it is 16 weeks, thanks. After I made it I set one in an already fueled beacon to see how long it lasts (since that information isn’t listed anywhere else in game???) and it said add 12 weeks. Didn’t realize that accounted for existing fuel.

Regardless, it is not uncommon for people to take breaks from gaming when IRL warrants it. I was without internet for over a year - what am I supposed to do in that case? I didn’t have a laptop, the only way I had access to internet was at work (this forum in blocked by our IT department) or at the library, where I cannot install software.

Most casual gamers are casual for a reason - they are busy or unable to commit a large amount of hours. I don’t know what the solution is. Maybe remove the requirement for fuel on a select few planets for people that know they are prone to extended leaves? Or if player owned planets are ever released let the owners select the duration of the fuels on their planet.

The count of PS4 players is less than 20% of the count of PC players.
In addition, the boundless Stasus website records the count of all players in the universe, it’s including PS4 players.

Didn’t know that. I was always told the only one that counts ps4 was the ninja one. And when it comes to shops I see more PlayStation player owned ones than I do pc players. But I tend to only stay in the malls.

Also wonder how many forum users own the game and how many people who own the game aren’t forum users. Because there’s over 5k forum users. Also I don’t care for those numbers because it can say 200 on average people in a day but that doesn’t mean it’s only 200 players. Since not everyone logs in everyday

2 Likes

The game has had over 300 players at once multiple times this week according to Boundless.ninja. And with players not being counted on the multiple exos it was probably closer to 500 at times.

3 Likes

You are correct the only stats that include ps4 is boundless ninja. My personal observations have been that ps4 runs about 40-50 percent of the steam players.

My issue with the steam is it is the average for each hour. So if steam says 100 players that means the average players every hour is 100, so as you can see if you watch the numbers it is lowest when Europe and the America’s are not at prime playing times. I really think you can use it as something to see trends in players but it is hard to know how many people are actually actively playing. The developers maybe the only ones that have that information. Now you can say the trend has been down since launch with the exception of the free weekend, but that bump long eroded away. It is now trending higher with farming. I am curious if this is the same players playing more, players coming back and trying farming or (more likely) some combination of the two.

3 Likes