Laptop specs?

Hey everyone. I need to get a laptop. Because the children have claimed the area where I had my desktop. Oh well. Got to adapt.

I would appreciate if anyone who play on a laptop can give me some info.

So, I am a bit curious what specification I need to play with close to max settings and at least 60 fps. Or if you can indicate what you have and what result you get. I don’t have to play on max settings really, but it is nice to have a little headroom for the future as well.

Yes, I have read the recommended specs, but what settings and fps can I get with a system that fulfills the recommended specification?

I am sort of aiming for something with i5 9300h cpu and gtx 1650 or 1660ti gpu. But maybe the latter is overkill? I don’t know. Hard to find benchmarks with Boundless.

My desktop has a 4670k and gtx 760, which is sort of working. But yeah, I need a laptop instead.

Thanks

Edit/ Aiming for 1920x1080

I tested my laptop on max/ultra settings and was getting around 40fps at my base. In large cities or complex bases I would tank to the mid 20s.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16834154493

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GL62M-7RD/Specification

Edit: To clarify, I had EVERYTHING turned to max. Including the chunk load rate which may have been hitting the CPU harder than anything other component.

2 Likes

I think one of the biggest bottlenecks is possibly the quality of internet connection, a decent mid range gaming laptop would probably have no problem with the graphics. From my experience it’s been things like packet loss etc that can have the biggest impact in terms of frame rate etc.

1 Like

I use this and run everything on full ,no frame drop , and to be honest since the switch from a Dell 6-7 months ago,not much lag either

4 Likes

i suggest while youre children using pc get a decent second hand tower and hook it up to the tv laidback in the couch use a wireless keyboard with build in touchpad also nice to get the youtube on the tv
hook it up to nearby soundsystem and you golden :smile:
ow if the children not using current tower you can hook i up today :sunglasses:hurry up got milion idea’s ive been saving up for ya :joy:
this is what im rolling with

it broke after 4years got another type it sucked so i bought the same again
the mousebuttons probably broke cause it took me a while to know i can use spacebar :roll_eyes:

for those interested the bad one was an “ewent” smart tv wireless keyboard with touchpad def never buy that ■■■■

2 Likes

You just described my gaming set up. It’s so nice and relaxing playing boundless on a 52 inch TV.

I recommend MSI codex. Very nice computers and have nice laptops.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone, I am heading to work soon. So I have to check in detail later, but this will help me a lot!

I use that keyboard on ps4 and works good

I recommend if you have a good network connection and your budget is limited, go for the Nvidia shield
I got a gaming laptop but rather play on the Nvidia shield because you will use the online Geforce resources, boundless is on GeForce NOW cloud-gaming (steam included)
the Nvidia supports up to 4k gameplay and uses an Nvidia Tesla p40 video card with 24gb VRAM per unique user
and if you do have a laptop/pc with a GTX video card you can Stream-Play games you have on steam using your own laptop/pc, in other words, u can play boundless on your laptop/pc and also separate on the Nvidia shield using GeForce NOW (you do need different steam accounts you cannot play 2 games at the same time)
and supports any controller (I’m using ps4 controller) and as for keyboard I use the riitek k16 mini

it also had LED Backlit for a cosy night gaming (^_^)

I can tell so much about the shield that you want to buy one, but each person has its own preference
I just recommend to have a look into it and see if that’s something you would consider for questions feel free to ask good luck!

3 Likes

would it not be better to have the touchpad on the right just wondering if it is not awkward seems to be nice quality though looks promising

hmmm its all personal preference i have no problems using it also it is something you can get used too :slight_smile:

1 Like

@FlippityFloop
Thanks, very helpful! Not too bad considering lowering some settings a tad probably helps a lot.

@GreyArt247
Thanks, good advice.

@kimclausen
Very nice rig, and good info. Thanks.

@the-moebius
Thanks, only problem is that the TV will be occupied by the wife. Besides, a laptop might be nice for some mobility.

@EdWe
Thanks for the tip. I am a bit sceptical if this is for me. But I will check it out anyways. Pretty intriguing stuff either way. =)