Largest Amount of Players Ever on One Server?

In your experience what’s the largest amount of people that’s ever played at one time?

Is there a limit to how many should be active on a single world at one time? How many worlds are there currently in the universe?

If the game is wildly successful and there are thousands of players at a time, is the game scalable quickly enough to handle the loads?

I’m just rambling but I’m legitimately curious.

1 Like

The limit is 100. As for whether than has ever been reached, idk.

In terms of scalability, there are (I think) going to be systems to generate planets on the fly as the player count gross but I’m not sure on that. There are certainly meant to always be enough planets, though.

In my experience the max I’ve seen would probably be around 30 in the earlier days of the great hunts when everyone and their neighbour’s dog would turn up :laughing:

4 Likes

As far as “if thousands of players show up” - I have no clue, lol, what will happen.

But I’m excited (and hopeful) that we might find out!

1 Like

I guess that’s part of the excitement :slight_smile: there’s a certain beauty in organized chaos… I’d love to see thousands of people playing… at that point I’d also love if Wonderstuck handles it without any hiccups :slight_smile:

EDIT: going from 30 to 1000 would be awesome to watch :slight_smile:

1 Like

I mean, I don’t know how many dev’s they have on their team, but I get the idea it isn’t too big.

If that does happen, I hope it goes smoothly too, but I’d be very forgiving if they have some struggle lol

1 Like

You and I surely would be more forgiving. I’d be worried more about the people that don’t go to forums, who see it on the Playstation store and go “that looks cool”, buys the game and them having a rough experience. Those people are truly the people the game has to impress.

To the small loyal following here, they really shouldn’t have to worry about.

Based on Steam charts for the game, there have been peak times when over 100 people were on. Several times actually. This happened earlier this year. I think those were some really laggy times during the game.

We are talking per world limits - 100 players are the cap for a single world at a time (currently)

Considering how many worlds there will be, for 100 players to be on a single one is unlikely unless there’s an event or if its a starter world for a crowded region (in which case they will likely make more!)

From my understanding, each world is a server. Server limits are probably set the way they are to save resources anyways.

100 people per world is stupid small and makes no sense for release. But yeah, I can agree to expect higher numbers in general for server limits.

Well thats fair we’re just talking sematics more or less.

The 100 player limit on a single world is arbitrary as far as I know. It could be increased if needed but I guess that its pointless to speculate at this point - who knows if it will be an issue at all

2 Likes

I don’t really care what the limit is as long as people are able to freely move from world/server to world/server without having to be stuck in some que in order to pass through a portal to a world they want to go to in order to do trade or build or craft or whatever they want to do.

I am confident it will be a non-issue (at least to me) like so many other things that have been brought up about the game.

2 Likes

As Has been said before, planets scale with population growth and the system can handle tens of thousands of planets. As @james said, “the universe can and will be huge”.

We have been playing with 4 servers containing a total of 12 planets. Australian server had Alturnik, Andoweem and Vena V. EU Central server had Munteen VII, Septerfon, and Therka. U.S. East had Epsilo, Solum and Vulpto. U.S. West had Berlyn, Elopor and Nasharil. We have jumped from server to server constantly and most probably never even thought about the idea they were changing servers as they went through portals or warped.

That’s what I was looking for… thank you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am just a little curious of how the universe will generate starter planets based on concurrent players on release. I would hate to have say 5000 people trying to get on a few planets all at once. To my knowledge, universe scales with plot presence not players in potential queue, but there may be more to it! I’m sure the devs have thought it through.

It will be interesting to see if we are presented with any scenarios like that one. While I would love to see what happens… idk if we will ever have 5k players trying to play at once. If we do, then wooohooo!

Gonna have to do some big marketting between now and then if you wanna see those numbers though

i think that also when people have lag they will move onto less laggy planets
making the planet that lagged less laggy :smile:

5 Likes

except when we go to Australian servers :stuck_out_tongue:
such lag. (for most of us :stuck_out_tongue:)

Really? I made my main base on Vena V of the Australian server. The reason why is it was by far the least populated of the starter planets and as a result had the least lag of all. Players and structures cause lag and Vena V was I think less than a third the population of Therka. I had been on Therka and the lag got bad so I spent most of my time after that on Vulpto and Vena V.

At any rate my comment you responded to wasn’t about planets. I had been responding to someone asking about servers and hoping there were not delays when changing servers. So, I pointed out people constantly used portals and likely never noticed going through the portal that they had just changed servers in many cases since each server only had three of the twelve planets.

That is very true, but also routing between clients and servers can vary wildly and thus cause lag even when not expected.
You are lucky to have a good connection there! My connection to Australia was good most of the time but it was the planetary colours that kept me away heh…

[edit] ohh right, portal transitions.

3 Likes