Less punishment for making your beacon look more natural

Well, yes, it will never equal the prestige of refined stone, but let’s not disregard the amount of processing and fuel that goes into that endeavor either. I’ve in the past advocated for a way to process natural blocks in a way that keeps their natural “raw” appearance with only minor cosmetic tweaks, but raises the prestige value to something similar to refined stone. One suggestion was a way to enhance trunks with minerals and oils in a mixer to craft luminescing or “enchanted” trunks that have a soft glow or possibly even rune etching wood in a work bench to give a subtle engraved look that makes trees look as if an artist stenciled tribal art all over them.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t mind having to go through such a process at all - and I know the amount of work that goes into refined stone or wood - im not asking for trunks to have a high prestige value, even having trunks at 0.3-0.5 would be fine really, but not rewarding anything at all is kind of a bummer.

Its not like im giving up on what im trying to do, since I absolutely want to do this build, but the prestige amount is just really low compared to anything else I could be doing heh ;p

2 Likes

Yeah :frowning: raw blocks are currently 0 prestige. I wonder how much it would throw things off to bump all the raw blocks up to 1 prestige, actually?

1 Like

i would totally love if they allowed that and it would look awesome in a enchanted forest themed build.

1 Like

Wouldn’t a simple boolean check to see if its a placed block or not sort it out so that every other resource around you isnt actually providing any prestige while the natural blocks you put down is ?

If we think more into the value that is called Prestige, there would be a totally fair and easy to setup thing for the Devs.
Devs can create a special Prestige Item where visitors can raise the prestige of a settlement by voting.
In this case we get not just a change from calculated value to playerdriven prestige, we also can vote up buildings/settlements that got really hard work on it and make in summary the simple prestige block cube buildings less attractive.

1 Like

Should only allow ACCOUNTS which aren’t part of a settlement to vote on any given settlement then, otherwise it’ll be extremely easy to abuse.

Though technically still could be abused.

Yes, it technically needs to get polished to prevent abusing.
But we are a Sandbox, why not playergiven prestige?
It could be a solution for all problems that such themebuilders get while using natural stuff.
Or even the great big builds from just Tier 1 Crafted stuff, because it fits into the theme.
Yes, i agree that settlement member should not be allowed to vote, if it will be a settlement item. If it is a beacon item, why not all can vote, except the owner account of the beacon. Maybe i want to vote the single great building of a townneighbor, i should be allowed to do that.

1 Like

Mostly because guild members could potentially just upvote eachothers plots artificially increasing the amount of prestige one gets, bumping you up the prestige rank ladder potentially causing you to become the capitol.

I suppose you could have it be a very low exponetial increase so that you need a LOT of votes before it really starts to take affect.

2 Likes

In fairness this has a lot of glass and blocks and many of us wouldn’t consider this a “natural” build. This is more showcase of “nature” than actually enhancing and fitting into the natural landscape or a build made mostly out of natural blocks.

Also enhancements like chiseling shouldn’t be added to the discussion because that is in enhancement.

3 Likes

Sure, but even guildmember are just a small percent of all active people.
And to be honest, big guilds still have more possibilities to increase huge amount of prestige of a town, simply, because they work together and just for the goal to hold the prestige of their settlements by creating and placing masses on prestigeblocks.
Smaller guilds and groups can not hold the speed as the prestige is raising at big guildtowns.

Edit: Beside this, people with masses on high prestige blocks can easily overtake natural builded settlements, they need just to join and place them.

This will end up being abused just like foot fall and every other game dynamic is abused by someone.

Ultimately you can’t win at a prestige game unless you play the ugly game it is and are willing to grind and deal with what it brings. The best option is to just build something pretty and ignore a “list” of who is important based on some arbitrary algorithm that is always going to be taken advantage of by some player in their quest to show they are top dog.

Well, my mind is not going in direction of being in a list, it is more intended by the discussion of plotwars, where people join settlements to take them (the name) over.

Sorry I didn’t mean you were trying to do this… just meant as a general statement on “list seekers”.

That is in the works and I plan to help drive it hard toward resolution:

I did some basic testing to make sure my claim held water, apparently I was just unlucky first time I tested, because I now found out that natural blocks does indeed award 0 prestige.

I must simply had some multiplier affected when I tested.

I still think it would be nice with some more crafted blocks.
For instance:
Macadam, “refined” gravel with gravel sound. Could be made by putting gravel in a compactor (crusher).
Dense foliage, “refined” foliage.
Flowery foliage, combining flowers and foliage to create more colorful foliage.
Fertile Soil, enriched soil that has slightly denser grass when such is planted.
Runestone, combining stone and corruption.

There are many possibilities.

2 Likes